Miami fighting to hold back the Ocean

They claim the SL in Miami has risen 1 foot in the last few years while the global sea level rise since 1850 has only been 7 inches.

Maybe Miami is sinking...

Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

So what's up with all that glacial melting 8-18000 years ago? Homo Erectis camp fires?

Last edited:
They claim the SL in Miami has risen 1 foot in the last few years while the global sea level rise since 1850 has only been 7 inches.

So what's up with all that glacial melting 8-18000 years ago?

As will be NO and other coastal cities, while you deny climate change...

Last edited:

Looks like rising sea levels have leveled off.

Sea levels are always rising and falling, the earth is always getting warmer or cooler, it never stays the same.

You wanna save Miami??
THen find the correct PROBLEM STATEMENT first... And address the CORRECT CAUSE...

U._S._Sea_Level_Trends_1900-2003.gif

Hint --- This seepage thru porous ground AIN'T caused by CO2 emissions.. It's been happening since WAAAAY before there was enough CO2 in the atmos to matter..

I suggest you find that Dutch Boy who held his finger in the dike and saved Amsterdam...

Last edited:
Last edited:

So what's up with all that glacial melting 8-18000 years ago? Homo Erectis camp fires?

A lot of areas around the gulf are sinking. I'd say the land is sinking + oceans are raising....

I'd consider sea walls for Miami.

Looks like rising sea levels have leveled off.

nope

Sea Level Trends

CU Sea Level Research Group | University of Colorado

Miami's rising water problem - CNN.com Video

All the while, the GOP bangs their drums calling global warming a lie.

We were visiting some residents on the Gulf when I was down there and they were showing us where the beach was when they first moved there a few years ago. Significant changes over that amount of time.

It's going to affect those high rises they have built there at some point. It is global warming and it is expected to rise more.

We were visiting some residents on the Gulf when I was down there and they were showing us where the beach was when they first moved there a few years ago. Significant changes over that amount of time.

It's going to affect those high rises they have built there at some point. It is global warming and it is expected to rise more.

Both sinking land and sea level rise. The gulf coast is pretty much fucked.:eusa_whistle:

Malibu also.

Such problems are already evident at Broad Beach, where severe erosion is currently undermining coastal homes and residents are preparing to spend $20 million on a plan to permanently restore the beach to its 100-foot width within the next six years. Contingent on the slope of the beach, every inch the sea level rises claims an average of 50 inches of land.

The narrowing trend of Broad Beach (and of many Southern California beaches) is being caused by a combination of recurring weather patterns and rising sea levels, according to Gary Griggs, a professor of earth and planetary science at UC Santa Cruz and director of the university's Institute of Marine Sciences.

Malibu homes threatened by global warming? - Malibu Times: News

If I owned real estate down there, I would be very concerned.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQNkVmdicvA]Obama Claiming He Can Halt the Rise of the Oceans - YouTube[/ame]

If I owned real estate down there, I would be very concerned.

Because of Global Warming or because you're gullible?

Insurance costs will be destroying Miami well before it goes under the waves for good. After a couple good storms, insurance will be too costly for anyone but the most wealthy. Housing will get abandoned, the tax base will dry up, and so the flood control infrastructure will decay, hastening the process.

I suppose they could try to turn Miami into a sort of Venice, but that would take time and money and planning by serious people. Meaning it won't be proposed until it's too late.

So Frank, I suggest you invest now. So you can lose you shirt. Unless you manage to snag a government bailout. Being a conservative, you're no doubt very talented at that.

Insurance costs will be destroying Miami well before it goes under the waves for good. After a couple good storms, insurance will be too costly for anyone but the most wealthy. Housing will get abandoned, the tax base will dry up, and so the flood control infrastructure will decay, hastening the process.

I suppose they could try to turn Miami into a sort of Venice, but that would take time and money and planning by serious people. Meaning it won't be proposed until it's too late.

So Frank, I suggest you invest now. So you can lose you shirt. Unless you manage to snag a government bailout. Being a conservative, you're no doubt very talented at that.

Is that because Florida is the only one of our 57 states with a coastline?

Perhaps they'll worry about that 100 years from now when sea level is 7 inches higher than it is now. In the meantime, I haven't noticed the price of beach front real estate going down. Insurance companies are still selling insurance to pople who buy property on the coast.

Forum List

Back