Mexico City: a virtual tour through film, music, books, food and art

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
At a community dinner in Santa María la Ribera – one of Mexico City’s first suburbs, built in the late 1800s just west of the old centre – I met a European contortionist. He was in his 70s and used a wheelchair. Circus work had first brought him to the country decades ago, but then he’d never left. “I feel more alive here,” he told me.

This is the city’s seduction: extremes of existence can happen all on the same street corner, and render life more vivid. The Slovakian expat writer Lucia Duero describes the city as “on the edge of the moment: an intensive intensity of being. You know the world is torn apart and you hold to it tight, joyfully.”

Foreigners have been beguiled by the city ever since Hernán Cortés and his conquistadors arrived in the ancient Aztec capital of Tenochtitlán, the site on which the modern city now stands. An Austrian emperor, installed by Napoleon III of France, ruled briefly here, DH Lawrence found inspiration for his novel The Plumed Serpent, Hollywood royalty hopped down from LA, and the Beat generation sought escape (from crimes, from mainstream America) and self-destructive transcendence.

lg325 John Ross is mentioned here. I have never heard of him. You might have though.

We should do that with our cities because we can. Make our own virtual tour of whereever.

There was quite a 'virtual tour' of Juarez in "Sicario". Not a nice place to visit and 'living' there is a 'virtual' oxymoron.

Well done article. John Ross was if not a card carrying but close to a communist as your going to find. He was an activist, hung out in the Mission District of San Francisco. I do not agree with his politics but he did from what I gather had a real concern for the poor and those treated unjustly . I am not sure if those like him ever had a real positive effect on society except for there writings. Booze was his downfall. His books and poetry should not be forgotten but kept and maybe learn from. He was a part of Mexico City as much as San Francisco.

Well done article. John Ross was if not a card carrying but close to a communist as your going to find. He was an activist, hung out in the Mission District of San Francisco. I do not agree with his politics but he did from what I gather had a real concern for the poor and those treated unjustly . I am not sure if those like him ever had a real positive effect on society except for there writings. Booze was his downfall. His books and poetry should not be forgotten but kept and maybe learn from. He was a part of Mexico City as much as San Francisco.

I have never heard of him. But, it would not surprise me about his politics. I don't care about their politics back then. Most of the Beat Generation has passed on. Those cats born in the 1920s and 1930s were hellraisers.

I posted a poem of his over at beat generation thread. Yes those folks were self destructive. I have spent time just trying to understand those types . Mexico city seems to attract those types from around the world.

I posted a poem of his over at beat generation thread. Yes those folks were self destructive. I have spent time just trying to understand those types . Mexico city seems to attract those types
from around the world.

Most of them are now. I think in order to become really famous you have to be an addict (gambling-James Joyce, opium-John Keats) or have significant mental health issues (Edgar Allen Poe, Sylvia Plath). They are all tragic figures, innit? Mexico City has always collected creative folks. The US did too in certain areas.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back