Mexican Cross-border trucking rears it's ugly head...again.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I was doing some background research for a thread on the positive effects of Union influence on trucking when I came across the article quoted below.

The Teamster, in conjunction with owner/operators and small fleet owners like myself, have long struggled to halt the implementation of the cross-border NAFTA requirement to allow Mexican trucks to operate in the U.S.

The U.S. trucking heavyweights like Schneider National (the orange trucks), Swift Transportation and J.B. Hunt are lobbying in favor of allowing Mexican truck to cross the border, as they have already built terminals and acquired Mexican business licenses in Mexico.

11/12/2010 Mexico Threatens Revolving Tariffs over Lagging Truck Talks

Mexico is rattling trade sabers in an effort to get stalled talks on the cross-border trucking dispute moving again. It is now threatening to slap tariffs on additional U.S. goods to convince as many states as possible to pressure the Obama administration into allowing Mexican trucks full access to American highways.

Speaking to reporters at a meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation in Yokohama, Japan, Mexican Economy Minister Bruno Ferrari said the Obama administration had been slow to deliver a promised new proposal to resolve the issue. "I haven't seen any specific plan on my desk," Ferrari was quoted as saying by Reuters.

Ferrari warned that Mexico was prepared to take action on its plan to add additional products to the list of goods it hits with tariffs.

"The clock is ticking, so we are making all the analysis," he said.

Mexico Threatens Revolving Tariffs over Lagging Truck Talks - Truckinginfo.com

From what I've read from Transportation Secretary Ray La Hood, I think Obama is going to cave:

Even if Mexico alleges to make improvements to meet the United States Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance standards, skeptics are concerned that Mexican inspectors will simply take bribes to circumvent the requirements.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has defended the actions of the Obama administration contending that American businesses were struggling under the new tariffs, which amounted to an additional $2.4 billion cost on American exporters.

Mexican Trucks Welcomed by Obama Administration
So the big trucking corporations get what they want, Mexican drivers driving their trucks at 1/3 American wage.

Big Business gets what they want, cheaper transportation from their factories in Mexico.

Mexico gets what they want, access to American truckload shipping to and from the U.S.

And the American Consumer gets what they want, cheaper goods.

The only ones that get screwed are American Workers and the driving public.

Truckers obviously get the shaft in lower wages and less miles.

Labor gets downsized and outsourced because the benefit of moving factories to Mexico increase.

And the Driving Public gets tens of thousands of inferior Mexican Trucks and poorly trained Mexican drivers with limited English language skills.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Another recent article from TheTrucker.com:

Late last month, word came to us from reliable sources that LaHood finally did have a firm proposal in hand, but was going to wait until after the election to chat with Congressmen about the direction he wanted to take in meeting the United States’ obligations to Mexico under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

We do know one thing: the Mexican government is in no mood for another pilot project.

“If you put in place a demonstration project similar to what we had, it can begin, but it can be defunded at any time,” said Jose Luis Paz Vega. The head of trade at the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) office in the Mexican embassy in Washington, he made the comments at a luncheon Oct. 15. “Mexico is not willing to take that any more,” he added. “We need a program that is permanent, that has certainty and complies with NAFTA. And we’re not willing to accept anything less than that.”

But is Congress in any mood to deal with the Mexican truck issue at this point?
Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., and Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., have done virtually everything but create their own personal blockade at the border to keep Mexican trucks out of the U.S.

The Teamsters Union, a strong supporter of the Obama administration, is bitterly opposed to an open border.

More importantly, the new Congress will have more pressing issues and the country could well face legislative gridlock if the Republican Party gains control in the House and/or Senate.

First of all, the economy is still shaky and that means jobs, which will be all important to the White House as the president begins his race to keep his own job in 2012.

Economic woes contribute to “protectionist” attitudes on Capitol Hill.

It’s also important to remember that while most Americans would like to see friendly relations with Mexico, there’s still voter anger over illegal immigration and there’s a good chance any Mexican truck proposal could get swept up in that anger.

Legislators typically like to shy away from voter anger.

TheTrucker.com - America's Trucking Newspaper

The U.S. trucking heavyweights like Schneider National (the orange trucks), Swift Transportation and J.B. Hunt are lobbying in favor of allowing Mexican truck to cross the border, as they have already built terminals and acquired Mexican business licenses in Mexico.

What are your thoughts?

I think that being a capitalist and free market person as I am I have to say as much as it stinks, we signed an agreement. The big boys that can afford to have done as you stated above they found a way to turn lemons into lemonade, because they know it going to happen.

I am wondering how much this will effect you, in Missouri? You said you are a small fleet, do you carry to Mexico or from Mexico? Will freight boarded in and delivered to areas you work take bus. away from you?

I was doing some background research for a thread on the positive effects of Union influence on trucking when I came across the article quoted below.

The Teamster, in conjunction with owner/operators and small fleet owners like myself, have long struggled to halt the implementation of the cross-border NAFTA requirement to allow Mexican trucks to operate in the U.S.

Mexico is rattling trade sabers in an effort to get stalled talks on the cross-border trucking dispute moving again. It is now threatening to slap tariffs on additional U.S. goods to convince as many states as possible to pressure the Obama administration into allowing Mexican trucks full access to American highways.

Speaking to reporters at a meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation in Yokohama, Japan, Mexican Economy Minister Bruno Ferrari said the Obama administration had been slow to deliver a promised new proposal to resolve the issue. "I haven't seen any specific plan on my desk," Ferrari was quoted as saying by Reuters.

Ferrari warned that Mexico was prepared to take action on its plan to add additional products to the list of goods it hits with tariffs.

From what I've read from Transportation Secretary Ray La Hood, I think Obama is going to cave:

Even if Mexico alleges to make improvements to meet the United States Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance standards, skeptics are concerned that Mexican inspectors will simply take bribes to circumvent the requirements.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has defended the actions of the Obama administration contending that American businesses were struggling under the new tariffs, which amounted to an additional $2.4 billion cost on American exporters.

So the big trucking corporations get what they want, Mexican drivers driving their trucks at 1/3 American wage.

Big Business gets what they want, cheaper transportation from their factories in Mexico.

Mexico gets what they want, access to American truckload shipping to and from the U.S.

Labor gets downsized and outsourced because the benefit of moving factories to Mexico increase.

And the Driving Public gets tens of thousands of inferior Mexican Trucks and poorly trained Mexican drivers with limited English language skills.

What are your thoughts?

Only that the last thing we need is to give the Mexican drug cartels a passport to our freeways.

What are your thoughts?

I think that being a capitalist and free market person as I am I have to say as much as it stinks, we signed an agreement. The big boys that can afford to have done as you stated above they found a way to turn lemons into lemonade, because they know it going to happen.

I am wondering how much this will effect you, in Missouri? You said you are a small fleet, do you carry to Mexico or from Mexico? Will freight boarded in and delivered to areas you work take bus. away from you?

No, this won't affect me directly, we are only a regional specialized carrier, but it will affect everyone in the industry indirectly...all the carriers that do carry freight to and from the Mexican border will quickly find themselves with no freight to haul.

While the Mexican government has stopped subsidizing diesel fuel in Mexico as of the first of the year, Mexican diesel is still 12% cheaper than on-road diesel in the U.S., plus their diesel isn't dyed like American fuel (for tax purposes, U.S. diesel for over-the-road use is dyed...meaning the federal excise tax has been paid.)

Add to that the reduced wages of Mexican drivers, an no U.S. trucking company can compete.

Those units will join the competition for the already anorexic levels of interstate and intrastate freight. More trucks, less freight, more American jobs exported to Mexico.

This chart only covers the recession, it's the Truck Tonnage Index since Jan 2006.

Only that the last thing we need is to give the Mexican drug cartels a passport to our freeways.

Already happening...NAFTA already allows Mexican trucks into the United States...un-inspected. There is a 20 mile "free trade zone" all along the Mexican border.

Truck traffic through Laredo has tripled since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) came into force 16 years ago. If customs inspectors examined every truck, it would cripple free trade. Instead, one out of every five trucks is unloaded and inspected. So drug traffickers play the numbers game.

"They're probably thinking ... 'My truck is not gonna get examined. We're gonna go through Laredo to see if we can get through,'" Garza says.

This fiscal year, more than 4.7 million commercial trucks crossed into the U.S. from Mexico. According to the Department of Homeland Security, agents seized 96 tons of marijuana from trucks at southwest ports of entry in 2010, more than twice as much as in 2006. Officials say tougher enforcement in the lonesome stretches between border towns is funneling more contraband through these busy border crossings.

Already happening...NAFTA already allows Mexican trucks into the United States...un-inspected. There is a 20 mile "free trade zone" all along the Mexican border.

Truck traffic through Laredo has tripled since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) came into force 16 years ago. If customs inspectors examined every truck, it would cripple free trade. Instead, one out of every five trucks is unloaded and inspected. So drug traffickers play the numbers game.

"They're probably thinking ... 'My truck is not gonna get examined. We're gonna go through Laredo to see if we can get through,'" Garza says.

This fiscal year, more than 4.7 million commercial trucks crossed into the U.S. from Mexico. According to the Department of Homeland Security, agents seized 96 tons of marijuana from trucks at southwest ports of entry in 2010, more than twice as much as in 2006. Officials say tougher enforcement in the lonesome stretches between border towns is funneling more contraband through these busy border crossings.

No wonder the Mexicans are hot to trot for a free trade corridor that dissects the nation and opens up exploitation of the entire Interstate system.

The second and third biggest industries in Mexico are drugs and human trafficking. The largest is oil which only needs pipelines for distribution.

Do the math!

No wonder the Mexicans are hot to trot for a free trade corridor that dissects the nation and opens up exploitation of the entire Interstate system.

The second and third biggest industries in Mexico are drugs and human trafficking. The largest is oil which only needs pipelines for distribution.

Do the math!

According to U.S. federal law enforcement and Mexican security sources, drug mafias have thoroughly infiltrated Mexican export and trucking companies.

Sometimes drivers are paid to haul dope that they know is hidden in their cargo. In 2010, Mexican truckers accounted for 78 percent of all security breaches to the U.S. customs' program that expedites cargo shipped by companies with pre-approved security plans. But sometimes the drivers are clueless.

Drugs Cross Border By Truck, Free Trade And Chance : NPR

You named off the 3 worst trucking companies. I tried to get my CDL through the Schneider training school in Green Bay, BIG mistake!! They wanted me to sign a contract stating I will pay them $3??? if I didn't pass. Their end was they will help me get my CDL. I was one of the very few women there and was wanting to go as a team with my husband who was with me in the school, though he had already gotten his CDL before going up there. I never hit anything or caused any problems on the road. The only thing I had problems with is backing into a parking spot with another truck on both sides of the space the way they wanted me to and I was starting to get the hang of it near the end of the two weeks. This was right after I got my regular license and I was only driving for 2 weeks before going up there. The other women had hit pols, parked trucks, and other things, one even almost ran over her trainer. However they were VERY flirtatious with the trainers of which I was not. All the other women passed but they wanted to terminate my training?!!

Well, I never got my CDL, we decided to wait till our girls got older. Schneider wanted me to pay them the amount on the contract, I refuse to pay them one penny. Now the Schneider training school in Green Bay has been shut down and I quit getting calls and letters to pay them.

I think we need to stop all Mexican trucks from entering into the U.S. Not only because of the drugs that are being brought here, but because it takes away the jobs that Americans can have. We have a problem with companies sending their jobs over seas and now the trucking companies are wanting to send jobs down to Mexico and apparently already doing so. I am sure there will be other problems occur because of this. I am totally against it.

California no longer arrest people for driving without a Licence. Amazing, how looking the other way while people broke one law, entering the country illegally, leads to allowing Illegal Aliens to break another law, stealing social security numbers, now we dont arrest them for driving without a licence. No licence, do we look the other way if they do not have insurance.

What are your thoughts?

NAFTA: No Mexican Left Behind Act

Truck%20wreck%20in%20rainstorm.JPG

Last edited:

What are your thoughts?

NAFTA: No Mexican Left Behind Act

Truck%20wreck%20in%20rainstorm.JPG
^Another racist troll to give georgephillip and friends company. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back