MEMORIAL DAY IDEA: Conscription/The Draft & Iraq-Afghanistan Wars

Discussion in 'Education' started by Dante, May 31, 2010.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Here we are on Memorial Day 2010.

What we remember on Memorial Day
    In addition to fallen soldiers, the holiday is a day to remember all loved ones who are no longer with us. Five writers share their memories of fathers, husbands, friends and fellow soldiers.

Decoration Day, the predecessor of Memorial Day, was established in the years after the Civil War to honor Union soldiers who died in combat. Since then, the holiday has become a time to commemorate all those who died in military service to the country. It is also, more broadly, a day to remember all loved ones who are no longer with us. Here are some remembrances in honor of the holiday.

What we remember on Memorial Day - Los Angeles Times

---

I'M NOT SELLING A CAR OR ASKING PEOPLE TO BARBECUE AND GET DRUNK. I want to take a little while to commemorate those who are not here. then...Later I want to discuss conscription and the volunteer military. I link to and quote a few wiki articles because perspective is needed. I'd hate to start a thread on this subject, on this day and get bogged down in the bullshit that normally passes for debate on most message boards.

A PRIMER

Here is a quote I think most people can fully agree with: "Between 1965 and 1975, the United States spent $111 billion on the war ($686 billion in FY2008 dollars).[213] This resulted in a large federal budget deficit. The war demonstrated that no power, not even a superpower, has unlimited strength and resources." "But perhaps most significantly, the Vietnam War illustrated that political will, as much as material might, is a decisive factor in the outcome of conflicts." -Vietnam War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have highlighted the weaknesses of an all voluntary military. One need only look at the condition of the military over the time frame of these wars, and the restrictions we put on how the Pentagon could fight the wars, numbers dictated by low voluntarism on the part of the AMerican public, dictating particulars strategy & tactics.

Yes, for varying reasons Americans did not step up to the plate and volunteer in sufficient numbers on these wars.

I'll be back.

dD
    :cool:

2. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Getting rid of the draft was like letting all the mental patients go free. A bad idea with good intentions.

Time to revisit reinstalling a draft and using it when wars demand we need more bodies than volunteerism will provide.

The all volunteer military is coming apart at the seems. I wonder what the percentage of veterans needing aftercare will be compared to the numbers from other wars? We all know about the back to back tours many military were forced to do. We all know about the stories of the stress and strain military returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have suffered.

Time to rethink the idea of all volunteer military.

3. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,034
    Can you please shut the fuck up?

Please?