Medical care confusion

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Soaring, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Soaring

Soaring Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Sowell makes valid points, but he actually misses the crux of the problem which he himself presents. "The point is that health care is largely in your hands. Medical care is in the hands of doctors."

Think about it. Nobody really believes s/he will get sick, get into a car crash that rips off limbs or causes brain damage. As humans, we like to think we're so above the creature concept that we're immune from physical harm. Nah...can't happen to ME. And then it does. And when it does, and that person has not provided for the possibility of needing medical care, or doesn't qualify for the existing freebies, and also finds himself in need of costly medical procedures to sustain his life (or lifestyle), who gets to pay for his treatment? WE DO--by way of jacked up prices. Ironically, it's the medical provider's insurance against treating people who can't or won't pay.

3. Soaring

Soaring Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Are you to be held accountable for my health insurance premiums? Of course not. Am I to be held responsible for my neighbor's health insurance premiums? Of course not. Obama's health insurance package policy specifies that the average American tax paying citizen should be responsible for the health of the entire nation. He forgets to mention that the lazy inner city welfare receiving non-working blacks will be the recipients of this welfare program, and not the average American citizen who has paid into the welfare program of medicare for years. He will be taxing the medicare program which already is taxed enough with providing care for illegal aliens who have not paid into the program at all.

4. Sweet Willy

Sweet Willy BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Soaring, let's do keep just a little perspective and realism here. The majority of non working, welfare recipients are white. Let's have a little righteous indignation directed at the group who consumes the most of your welfare dollars: Red state, white trash, rednecks.

5. Soaring

Soaring Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91
    BS....show me some proof of that ridiculous statement.

6. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,650
    even if it aint true Soar.....there are a lot of non-blacks soaking up the welfare dole....

7. Sweet Willy

Sweet Willy BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    It is true, has been since the inception of public assistance. What is more specific about that statement is the number of "non working" welfare recipients. 70% of blacks are employed during and when leaving assistance roles. Only 45% of whites are. It's a reflection of the difference in education, wages and status in the employment pool. Many black families ARE WORKING families that still qualify for assistance because they earn little money, but they are working. White recipients, OTOH, are more likely to be non working recipients.

Blacks make up about 40% of TANF families and whites make up about 40%. But the whites cost more, have more children under 18 and are more likely to be unemployed.

The stats do reflect that there is a serious disproportion by race, with 12% of the population being over represented but still, when you get down to dollars and cents, white people get more. Just because there are more of us.

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Let's see a link.

9. Sweet Willy

Sweet Willy BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
  10. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    When my private health insurance premiums are calculated based on a formulated risk-based assessment, then you'd better believe it's not because of something I, personally, caused. It's because of the medical history of OTHERS who meet the same formula. Bottom line is that I am, in effect, supporting your health insurance too.

What you fail to grasp is that there are a plethora of hidden costs that we are ALREADY paying through the nose for just to keep private insurers profitable.