Meat eaters gulp record prices before U.S. grilling peaks.

Spoonman

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2010
meat is up, dairy is up, produce is up, grains are up. when government continues to sell out to corporate giants its no wonder we end up footing the bill. someone remind me again why a nation as capable as ours to feed itself imports so much from china who does not produce by our standards?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/meat-eaters-gulp-record-prices-230000856.html

Competitive eater and restaurant owner Jamie McDonald had no problem downing almost a dozen 11.5-ounce hamburgers in 10 minutes, or 9 pounds, 7.4 ounces of pulled pork. It's the cost of the meat that's making him gag.

McDonald, who used $70,000 of his eating-contest prizes since 2012 to open Bear's Smokehouse BBQ last June in Windsor, Connecticut, plans to raise menu prices 10 percent to limit the profit squeeze on 5,000 pounds (2.27 metric tons) of weekly meat purchases. His bill reached $12,000 as beef costs jumped 30 percent in six months and pork surged 20 percent in March

meat is up, dairy is up, produce is up, grains are up. when government continues to sell out to corporate giants its no wonder we end up footing the bill. someone remind me again why a nation as capable as ours to feed itself imports so much from china who does not produce by our standards?

Competitive eater and restaurant owner Jamie McDonald had no problem downing almost a dozen 11.5-ounce hamburgers in 10 minutes, or 9 pounds, 7.4 ounces of pulled pork. It's the cost of the meat that's making him gag.

McDonald, who used $70,000 of his eating-contest prizes since 2012 to open Bear's Smokehouse BBQ last June in Windsor, Connecticut, plans to raise menu prices 10 percent to limit the profit squeeze on 5,000 pounds (2.27 metric tons) of weekly meat purchases. His bill reached $12,000 as beef costs jumped 30 percent in six months and pork surged 20 percent in March

What food products are imported from China?

The reason food prices are high is primarily due to weather conditions, i.e. droughts, floods.

The U.S. is self sufficient in basic food production and we provide additional production to other countries.

The reason food prices are high is primarily due to weather conditions, i.e. droughts, floods.

The U.S. is self sufficient in basic food production and we provide additional production to other countries.

there are even programs in place to LIMIT food production in certain cases so that the prices do not collapse, due to the efficiency of the american farm system.

Beef, pork, chicken, fish, corn. wheat. We pay farmers not to grow.

agri biz, like ADM & Monsanto, has captured the gov't. Thanks Citizens United for opening the flood gates :thup:

you are so right. now remind me again, which president signed the monsanto protection act. one clue, it wasn't reagan.

Up until 2 years ago, the bulk of my meat came from what I hunted. Between venison and wild pig, I kept the freezers full for less money and without all the chemical additives.

I miss it.

Pork prices are 5% higher - following the horsemeat scandal and a virus epidemic among US pigs.

Up until 2 years ago, the bulk of my meat came from what I hunted. Between venison and wild pig, I kept the freezers full for less money and without all the chemical additives.

I miss it.

In my area they are giving out rewards for killing feral pigs...

agri biz, like ADM & Monsanto, has captured the gov't. Thanks Citizens United for opening the flood gates :thup:

you are so right. now remind me again, which president signed the monsanto protection act. one clue, it wasn't reagan.

Has nothing to do with droughts in Russia, Brazil, and the pig virus..Commodity experts say competition for our favourite foods is also an issue.

Pork prices are 5% higher - following the horsemeat scandal and a virus epidemic among US pigs.

I see nothing wrong with exporting horse meat, some people seem to have a problem with it though. I have a couple of friends that are really trying to get the market moving.

What are your thoughts on horse meat for human consumption?

Has nothing to do with droughts in Russia, Brazil, and the pig virus..Commodity experts say competition for our favourite foods is also an issue.

remind me again why we import so much of the food we could be producing here? remind me again why we buy form sources who don't produce to standards we force on our own domestic sources? remind me again why we are protecting monsanto?

I see nothing wrong with exporting horse meat, some people seem to have a problem with it though. I have a couple of friends that are really trying to get the market moving.

I don't care, but my wife is irate about it.....I say whatever moves is fair game when you're hungry....

I don't care, but my wife is irate about it.....I say whatever moves is fair game when you're hungry....

Whatever doesn't move quick enough...

Whatever doesn't move quick enough...

gotta be quick on the draw....

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back