Me Little Armalite (AR-180)

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I got this 1980ish Armalite AR180 in a trade today....It's in 5.56. Pretty hard to come by in decent shape for anything approaching a decent price. I have $1350.00 in it.

This one was made in England by Sterling.....It's a side folder.

A 001 (2).JPG

A 004 (2).JPG

A 004 (2).JPG

Sadly the mags are proprietary and expensive but PMAG to the rescue!

No, they don't make AR-180 mags but the AR PMAGS are a snap to convert once you do the measuring.....All you do is cut a slot in the side of the mag and grind the hump off on the other.....Boom, a drop free mag.

A 005 (2).JPG
A 006 (2).JPG

I did a 10, 20, and 30 round mag.

It used to be a milling type deal with the alum mags

The AR-180 was very popular with the IRA during "The Troubles", they procured a couple thousand in Spain. It's said the money came from the US.

The Armalite is my all time favorite rifle. However I don't have one.

I almost had one a few years ago.

I was visiting my son at Ft Knox. He had duty on a Saturday morning so I went to the Louisville gun show. Like 2K tables.

A guy had an excellent condition Costa Mesa Armalite with ten factory magazines and the Armalite scope. Private sale.

I wanted that so bad I could taste it. We started to negotiate the price. We haggled back and forth for a long time. We finally got down to $50 difference in price from what he wanted and I was offering.

I did the dumbest thing possible. As bad as I wanted it I was stubborn in my offer and would not budge.

I walked away from the deal.

Today I kick myself for walking away from the deal for $50. I was an idiot.

The Sterling AR-180 is the one mentioned in the song you posted.

Sterling made the rifle under licence from Armalite.

It is British manufacture that made its way to the IRA.

The Armalite is my all time favorite rifle. However I don't have one.

I almost had one a few years ago.

I was visiting my son at Ft Knox. He had duty on a Saturday morning so I went to the Louisville gun show. Like 2K tables.

A guy had an excellent condition Costa Mesa Armalite with ten factory magazines and the Armalite scope. Private sale.

I wanted that so bad I could taste it. We started to negotiate the price. We haggled back and forth for a long time. We finally got down to $50 difference in price from what he wanted and I was offering.

I did the dumbest thing possible. As bad as I wanted it I was stubborn in my offer and would not budge.

I walked away from the deal.

Today I kick myself for walking away from the deal for $50. I was an idiot.
Yep, that's a 6K+ package now, if not more.

Looks like one (blued) like mine goes for around $3400.

The stoved (painted) finished Sterling-made ones bring a bit less.

It's figured of the around 20K made by the three manufacturers maybe 15K survive. A whole lot rarer than a Colt SP-1.

I might pick up a Stormwerkz mount but I have no interest in adding any OEM stuff to it.

I got this 1980ish Armalite AR180 in a trade today....It's in 5.56. Pretty hard to come by in decent shape for anything approaching a decent price. I have $1350.00 in it.

This one was made in England by Sterling.....It's a side folder.

View attachment 788768
View attachment 788769
View attachment 788770

Sadly the mags are proprietary and expensive but PMAG to the rescue!

No, they don't make AR-180 mags but the AR PMAGS are a snap to convert once you do the measuring.....All you do is cut a slot in the side of the mag and grind the hump off on the other.....Boom, a drop free mag.

View attachment 788773View attachment 788774

I did a 10, 20, and 30 round mag.

It used to be a milling type deal with the alum mags

The AR-180 was very popular with the IRA during "The Troubles", they procured a couple thousand in Spain. It's said the money came from the US.

If youre looking for a cool gun, get this...

d8b040_292bfa14716a432cbb7aeb16638f2db3~mv2.jpg

The Sterling AR-180 is the one mentioned in the song you posted.

Sterling made the rifle under licence from Armalite.

It is British manufacture that made its way to the IRA.
Yeah some guy name George Harrison (not the Beatle) got a bunch (around 2K) that a arms dealer in Spain sold him. Britain to Spain to Ireland.

If it's not at least a 50 year old design I have little interest. ;)
If its older than 5 years, I have zero interest. :laugh:

Though i would love to get a real MP5. I guess a flame thrower would be kind of cool too? :dunno:

Yep, that's a 6K+ package now, if not more.

Looks like one (blued) like mine goes for around $3400.

The stoved (painted) finished Sterling-made ones bring a bit less.

It's figured of the around 20K made by the three manufacturers maybe 15K survive. A whole lot rarer than a Colt SP-1.

I might pick up a Stormwerkz mount but I have no interest in adding any OEM stuff to it.
This was in the 2007 time frame.

If I remember correctly he wanted $2500 and I thought then the package was worth $2K. Back then you could occasionally find one, even a Costa Mesa. The Armalite scope was actually rarer than the rifle. The factory mags very rare.

I was thinking back then the rifle $1K, the scope and mount $.5K and the factory mags $.5K.

He came down and I came up but when he wouldn't go down $50 more I walked. Still kicking myself for doing it.

Congratulations on the Stirling.

Forum List

Back