McDonald's May Drop Health Plan

Funny how two posts that cut directly to the heart of the matter can be so utterly ignored.

Willow and Allie, you two are absolutely CORRECT.

Ok that settles it. Pale Rider has spoken and told us what is correct based upon his obvious wealth of knowledge and experience. We can all move on now. Nothing left to see here.

sucks when he is right though doesn't it?

Sucks for who? Certainly not for me. I'm not the one who thinks Obama hates America. I think it sucks for him and you if you believe that nonsense. Must be crappy to walk around all day in a country run by someone who hates you.

Ok that settles it. Pale Rider has spoken and told us what is correct based upon his obvious wealth of knowledge and experience. We can all move on now. Nothing left to see here.

sucks when he is right though doesn't it?

Sucks for who? Certainly not for me. I'm not the one who thinks Obama hates America. I think it sucks for him and you if you believe that nonsense. Must be crappy to walk around all day in a country run by someone who hates you.

No i dont think he hats us/me... He and his party are just using us for taxes.

Sounds like the high adminstrative costs of maintaining the plan are what drives the insurer to keep premiums at the current level. A high employee turnover rate like McDonalds will do that. Obama going to threaten Ronald McDonald House next?

Well that combined with the low payouts ?

:D

From the OP linked article.
\Last week, a senior McDonald's official informed the Department of Health and Human Services that the restaurant chain's insurer won't meet a 2011 requirement to spend at least 80% to 85% of its premium revenue on medical care. \

So McDonalds is charging too much for insurance? That means instead of dropping rates they cancel the coverage?

no, the cost of administering the program is higher than normal due to employee turnover, and most employees don't make that many claims against it. this health care law is about the most poorly crafted piece of legislation in the nation's history. a bunch of grandstanding asshats pushed it through, and they had, and have, no idea what they were doing.

I'm not so sure on that Del, isn't this what Obama's end game was suppose to produce? Pushing out the private sector where employees will end up on the government's list? This is just the tip of the iceberg....give it another 15 years and we are going to see something very different from today.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
What's truly sad about this is Obamacare has deprived low income workers from providing for themselves.

From the OP linked article.
\Last week, a senior McDonald's official informed the Department of Health and Human Services that the restaurant chain's insurer won't meet a 2011 requirement to spend at least 80% to 85% of its premium revenue on medical care. \

So McDonalds is charging too much for insurance? That means instead of dropping rates they cancel the coverage?

no, the cost of administering the program is higher than normal due to employee turnover, and most employees don't make that many claims against it. this health care law is about the most poorly crafted piece of legislation in the nation's history. a bunch of grandstanding asshats pushed it through, and they had, and have, no idea what they were doing.

I'm not so sure on that Del, isn't this what Obama's end game wasuppose to produce? Pushing out the private sector where employees will end up on the government's list? This is just the tip of the iceberg....give it another 15 years and we are going to see something very differnt from today.

We can only hope!

I'm not so sure on that Del, isn't this what Obama's end game wasuppose to produce? Pushing out the private sector where employees will end up on the government's list? This is just the tip of the iceberg....give it another 15 years and we are going to see something very differnt from today.

We can only hope!

Who's we? Can't take care of yourself, sonny? :eusa_whistle:

We can only hope!

Who's we? Can't take care of yourself, sonny? :eusa_whistle:

Nah, Gramps....come over and kiss my boo-boo, please.

Sounds like the high adminstrative costs of maintaining the plan are what drives the insurer to keep premiums at the current level. A high employee turnover rate like McDonalds will do that. Obama going to threaten Ronald McDonald House next?

yeah, mcdonald's should hire sicker people :cuckoo:

Math skills elude you once again. $14 a week for coverage. That means an $11.20 per week pay to hit 80%. So, if administrative costs run $2.85 per week, you can't hit the percentages.

CaféAuLait;2791044 said:
McDonald's May Drop Health Plan

McDonald's Corp. has warned federal regulators that it could drop its health insurance plan for nearly 30,000 hourly restaurant workers unless regulators waive a new requirement of the U.S. health overhaul.

McDonald's Says It May Drop Health Plan - WSJ.com

McDonald's and trade groups say the percentage, called a medical loss ratio, is unrealistic for mini-med plans because of high administrative costs owing to frequent worker turnover, combined with relatively low spending on claims.

They may have to drop coverage because of the law-- this is what is being called an unintended consequence of Obamacare. They offer cheap insurance when many and now the payout will not meet with federal guidelines.

Actually, it's an INTENDED CONSEQUENCE. The end goal of ObamaCare is to destroy private insurance so that the only option is the public option.

Math skills elude you once again. $14 a week for coverage. That means an $11.20 per week pay to hit 80%. So, if administrative costs run $2.85 per week, you can't hit the percentages.

what I said before reduce administrative costs.
And lower payouts reduce administrative costs as well.

How big is this plan? How many participate?

Last edited:

Ohh I predicted pretty much how the Healthcare reform would work out before debate even started.
It would be something that would benefit the health ins/care industry.

And McDonalds just needs to work smarter and increase efficiencies in their insurance administration business.
Remember they are in the business of rapid employee turnover. So they should play by the rules for an employer of that type.

Again I think this is special interest lobbying.

are colleges in the business of high turnover? their plans aren't going to meet this standard either. mcdonald's doesn't administer the plan, btw, their insurance co does.

That's why ObamaCare requires that the parents' plans cover their kids until the age of 26. Colleges have been protected via this cost shift.

Ohh I predicted pretty much how the Healthcare reform would work out before debate even started.
It would be something that would benefit the health ins/care industry.

And McDonalds just needs to work smarter and increase efficiencies in their insurance administration business.
Remember they are in the business of rapid employee turnover. So they should play by the rules for an employer of that type.

Again I think this is special interest lobbying.

are colleges in the business of high turnover? their plans aren't going to meet this standard either. mcdonald's doesn't administer the plan, btw, their insurance co does.

That's why ObamaCare requires that the parents' plans cover their kids until the age of 26. Colleges have been protected via this cost shift.

Darned good catch!
And I assume it will cover many working at McDonalds while going to school?

Forum List

Back