Matt Damon? Really?

To what ridiculous lengths will film makers go to shoe-horn in some white leading man into any and every story? It seems that Damon is channeling his inner Tom Cruise or Keanu Reeves in plumbing the depths of shamelessness.

This is apparently not a joke:

The Great Wall: Is Matt Damon 'whitewashing' or good business? - BBC News

It looks like they are trying to thread a needle to leverage both US and Chinese cinema markets. That part is understood. However it comes across as a bit awkward to have a Caucasian Male in a Chinese Historical piece.

Well, ever since the Charlie Chan movies of the thirties, Kung Fu and so on, white men one way or the other became leading characters, it does seem to stretch credulity. Why aren't there any Asian men cast as major character stars in the US? George Takei or Steven Yeun names I can come up with.

I saw the opera "Lucia di Lammermoor" in the Shea Theater in Buffalo NY a while back.

It has two characters sung in tenor: Edgardo, Lucia's brother and Arturo, Lucia's bridegroom.

The story takes place in lily white England. Lucia, of course, is white.

For - I assume - political correctness the role of Arturo (bridegroom) was played by a white singer and the role of Edgardo (brother) by a black singer.

Go figure.

For the record both did a terrific job and the performance was in all respects, excellent.

Why is Liberal Hollywood such a cesspool of RACISM?

Oh c'mon now folks! It's the year of our Lord 2016 and lots of things have changed since the dark ages of, say, 1995 or so. Not too long ago I read in Variety that Matt Damon had a catharsis or something and now identifies as a Chinese man, so he was a natural to cast in a movie with a role calling for a Caucasian-Asian who's a left-leaning shitbag.

So just be cool and maybe Matt'll bless you with his autoglaph.

The only thing that matters to movie producers is selling movie tickets. If putting a popular white guy in a role sells tickets, they will put that guy in the movie.

Forum List

Back