Maryland Stands Up To Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Yurt, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Ratings:
    +3,210 / 105 / -0
    Link

What do you make of this?
  2. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hate walmart and I hate health insurance companies. The health insurance companies are directly responsible for high health care costs because of their bought and paid for legislation that prevents doctors from setting prices on their own for individuals without insurance or those that wish to use medical services without using insurance benefits.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Ratings:
    +3,210 / 105 / -0

hmm, had not thought of that. so then, should doctors be allowed to set the "market" price for their services? I think some already do. At least the people my dad knows in LA. For they go to the most expensive doctors, because they believe they are getting the best treatment. look at the services movie stars get when they go to hospitals, I certainly never had that when I was in the hospital for five days (though the in bed baths by the female nurse when I was sixteen were in my mind, pretty damn HOT!).
  4. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have regular discussions with a doctor about the state and federal regulations concerning medical care and insurance companies. Doctors cannot set their own prices UNLESS its with a patient that has absolutely NO insurance. If the patient has insurance but doesnt want to use it, or is a medicare/medicaid recipient then the doctor MUST set the price at what the health insurance company pays the doctor. This is a federal regulation. Now, it seems ODD to me that this regulation would exist because cheaper would always be better for the consumer, but this regulation was implemented at the behest of insurance companies....why? where do the insurance companies garner their income from? why do business' have an insurance package? what is the one constant so far when it comes to employment, income, and benefits?

now, some people would call this a conspiracy theory, but think about this.......if companies were no longer required to provide health insurance benefits and doctors were allowed to set their own rates and not deal with insurance companies because of regulations......where would insurance companies go and what would happen to the cost of medical insurance?
  5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Why does everybody hate Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, yet nobody complains about Costco? Could it be because Costco is a HUGE DNC contributor?
  6. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't hate either Walmart, or Sam's club. In fact, with a few exceptions (clothing mostly), I'm rather fond of them. :)
  7. freeandfun1

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Okay, not EVERYBODY, but just about everybody - at least in the media - as they do get the most bad press. Again; why? I honestly think it does have something to do with their political persuasion.
  8. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they are? news to me.
  9. freeandfun1

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Yup, they are.

Wal-Mart = Bush. Costco = Kerry.
    From Bloomberg

Just google "Costco DNC donations". There are tons of articles, written by democrats and on democratic blogs, bragging about it.
  10. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, thats not why I hate walmart, hell I only mildly like costco.
  11. freeandfun1

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I am just pointing out how the libs and the unions especially, go after Sam's Club and Wal-Mart, yet leave Costco alone. Costco's stores here in Vegas are HUGE and they put mom and pop businesses out of business too. But they get a pass.... this is the only thing I can attribute it to.

I didn't mean you, for the record! :mrgreen:
  12. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Frankly I doubt it. I think it has more to do with the fact that there are about ten Wal Marts for every Costco. I also think it has to do with Wal Mart's personnel policies. Wal Mart is a retail predator who is disliked not only by its own employees, but also by many of the people who shop there.
  13. freeandfun1

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    First off, the employees are not slaves and if they don't want to work there, they can leave. Secondly, I doubt you can provide any support of your claim that the customers that shop there dislike them. I would suggest the opposite. Thirdly, if one really compares prices, Wal-Mart isn't always the cheapest around. But people are lazy and they want to go to one place to buy everything so they shop at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart gets a bum rap and most hate it because they didn't come up with the idea of bulk-purchasing first. There are LOTS of businesses that use bulk purchasing as a means of saving money and increasing profits. Manufacturers do it too, not just retailers.

You all can bitch all you want about Wal-Mart, but I give em kudos.

I hear jealousy more than anything else.

Let's say Wal-Mart wasn't around.... well, then the mom and pop store would have to sell the same products for probably at least 2/3 more. Yeah, cheaper prices are bad for the consumers.

The majority of Wal-Mart's customers are poor. What do you suggest they do if all there stores were closed? Just "suck it up"?
  14. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so you support wal marts monopolistic and predatory practices?
    are you a shareholder by chance?

You talk very glibly about the employees not liking it they should just leave and about kudos for cheaper prices for consumers...how do you think that happened? brilliant marketing or economic terrorism?

If you think I'm in any way jealous because I didn't think of bulk purchasing and wish to blame the hatred of walmart on that, and that alone, then I have to wonder if you know much about the whole wal mart deal.
  15. freeandfun1

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I don't own a penny of their stock and I know enough to know that consumers get what they ask for. I never shop at Wal-Mart..... I don't have to. But I did when I was young and poor and they offered a good alternative to more expensive stores.

Call it whatever you want. They created a good business model and executed it. So hate em all you want - for their success.

I know plenty of people that work and shop there and I have never heard one complaint (other than employees bitching about other employees which you will find in EVERY business).

Basic economics tells you why their stores work. If you can't figure that out, then that is your problem, not mine.

Like I said, Wal-Mart is most beneficial to the poor. What would you suggest the poor do if their prices are raised 2/3 over-night because people like you get your way? Seems to me like you are saying you would rather see a few people employed than many. That you would rather see more expensive goods than lower cost goods. If that is what you want, then hey, you have that right.

Why aren't you complaining about Dell and the other large retailers that have put lots of mom and pop businesses out of work? Sounds to me like you just like picking on success.

Give me a valid example of how Wal-Mart has killed any community.... Are you suggest Wal-Mart is stupid enough to build stores where there are no customers or demand for their services?

I just all this "hate Wal-Mart" crap is just that - crap.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If they operated on basic economics I would have no issue. It's what they do outside of basic economics, like pricing fixes for their competitors/suppliers that breaks the system, thats where I hate them. If you don't understand that, thats your problem, not mine.

I don't buy dell, HP, compaq, or toshiba. I make all my own PC's with seperate components. You also seem to be unaware that its not the PC makers that put mom/pop shops out of business, that was microsoft with their licensing deals WITH the PC manufacturers.

Why would walmart build 3 superstores in a town with a population of 10k? to put the smaller stores OUT OF BUSINESS. I'm smart enough to know, and experienced enough to have seen, the results of running other business' out of town. Once walmart becomes the 'place to shop', theres no need for them to be 'the best' out there. They OWN the retail market in that area now.
  17. dilloduck

dilloduck Gold Member

Ratings:
    +5,407 / 21 / -0
    So you would be happier if everthing was more expensive? The citizens of the town have a choice in where they shop. Blame them for not supporting local businesses.
  18. freeandfun1

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I have news for you.... lots of businesses give discounts at various levels to various customers depending on how much products they buy. Blame the suppliers for agreeing to give Wal-Mart discounts, don't blame Wal-Mart for asking for them. I ask suppliers for better prices all the time. Sometimes I get it (if justified) and sometimes I don't. Sometimes my business will "committ" to a certain level of business over a certain period of time to get better pricing. There are too many variables for you to rely on this as a reason for hating Wal-Mart. They aren't doing anything other businesses haven't done and aren't doing.

Lucky you that you can build your own. Not everybody can. And many cannot afford to buy what a small PC maker would charge. Nobody forces people to use MS. Lynux is a good system and more and more businesses are starting to use it.

If they are doing that, there is a reason and it isn't to just put mom and pops out of business. That would make no sense at all considering one store could do that. There must be other variables involved. Likely they have to do with zoning. Let's say you have a town of 10K people surrounded on four sides by towns of 100K but that have strict zoning laws. I would be willing to bet Wal-Mart would put one store on each side of town to cater to the 100K towns. Makes sense to me. And you know what? The town of 10K is making a lot of dough off people coming into THEIR town to shop there. I am sure the town of 10K can use the revenue from property taxes, etc. that they get.
  19. green lantern

green lantern Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    i shop there as little as possible....i would agree, they are a retail predator.
  20. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when you tell your supplier that you'll buy this much more than anyone else SO LONG AS you only make it this way, thats subverting the market.

:bang3: some people just refuse to see i guess.