Maryland Stands Up To Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Yurt, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Link

What do you make of this?

2. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I hate walmart and I hate health insurance companies. The health insurance companies are directly responsible for high health care costs because of their bought and paid for legislation that prevents doctors from setting prices on their own for individuals without insurance or those that wish to use medical services without using insurance benefits.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751

hmm, had not thought of that. so then, should doctors be allowed to set the "market" price for their services? I think some already do. At least the people my dad knows in LA. For they go to the most expensive doctors, because they believe they are getting the best treatment. look at the services movie stars get when they go to hospitals, I certainly never had that when I was in the hospital for five days (though the in bed baths by the female nurse when I was sixteen were in my mind, pretty damn HOT!).

4. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have regular discussions with a doctor about the state and federal regulations concerning medical care and insurance companies. Doctors cannot set their own prices UNLESS its with a patient that has absolutely NO insurance. If the patient has insurance but doesnt want to use it, or is a medicare/medicaid recipient then the doctor MUST set the price at what the health insurance company pays the doctor. This is a federal regulation. Now, it seems ODD to me that this regulation would exist because cheaper would always be better for the consumer, but this regulation was implemented at the behest of insurance companies....why? where do the insurance companies garner their income from? why do business' have an insurance package? what is the one constant so far when it comes to employment, income, and benefits?

now, some people would call this a conspiracy theory, but think about this.......if companies were no longer required to provide health insurance benefits and doctors were allowed to set their own rates and not deal with insurance companies because of regulations......where would insurance companies go and what would happen to the cost of medical insurance?

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Why does everybody hate Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, yet nobody complains about Costco? Could it be because Costco is a HUGE DNC contributor?

6. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't hate either Walmart, or Sam's club. In fact, with a few exceptions (clothing mostly), I'm rather fond of them. :)

7. freeandfun1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Okay, not EVERYBODY, but just about everybody - at least in the media - as they do get the most bad press. Again; why? I honestly think it does have something to do with their political persuasion.

8. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    they are? news to me.

9. freeandfun1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yup, they are.

Wal-Mart = Bush. Costco = Kerry.
    From Bloomberg

Just google "Costco DNC donations". There are tons of articles, written by democrats and on democratic blogs, bragging about it.

10. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    well, thats not why I hate walmart, hell I only mildly like costco.