Market drops 7%..triggers Stoppage--as Oil drops on world markets!

This is a bit more than a correction..if oil continues to drop...the markets will follow...you have money in a 401k? Too bad for you:

Dow craters 2,000 points and S&P 500 down more than 7% after trading resumes

Stocks tumbled on Monday as investors braced for the economic fallout from the spreading coronavirus, while a shocking all-out oil price war added to the anxiety.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average tanked more than 1,800 points at the open, while the S&P 500 plunged 7%. The massive sell-off triggered a key market circuit breaker in morning trading. Trading was halted for 15 minutes until 9:49 a.m. ET.

The sharp declines followed a roller-coaster week that saw the S&P 500 swing up or down more than 2.5% for four days straight. While Monday’s drop was significant, it still didn’t crack the 20 worst days for the S&P 500.

Investors continued to seek safer assets amid additional fears that the coronavirus will disrupt global supply chains and tip the economy into a recession. The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note dropped below 0.5% for the first time ever, while the 30-year rate breached 1%.

Saudi Arabia on Saturday slashed official crude selling prices for April, in a sudden U-turn from previous attempts to support the oil market as the coronavirus hammers global demand. The move came after OPEC talks collapsed Friday, prompting some strategists to see oil prices crater to $20 this year.

“Crude has become a bigger problem for markets than the coronavirus,” Adam Crisafulli, founder of Vital Knowledge, said Sunday. “It will be virtually impossible for the [S&P 500] to sustainably bounce if Brent continues to crater,” he added.
Does that mean gas will go below $2 / gallon?
If we're still allowed to drive anywhere, of course?

Maybe, the price of gas is not directly correlated to the price of oil. There are a lot
Do tell what should Trump do?
Man. Now is the time to buy....buy....buy

Can't believe people rally around misery and want a US failure.

Wanting a crash. I bet those wanting a crash don't have 2 nickels to rub. I feel so sorry for you.

So you buying stocks here. Tell me which ones so I can buy some puts on them. Stocks to go lower, much lower.
I never bought a share of stock in my life. I've had the same S-P mutual funds and certain sector funds for 40 yrs. Biotech was a home run. Fidelity Funds to be exact.

Have you heard of ETF’s? You can buy the same basket of stocks using ETFs as mutual funds without the fees. Your broker at Fidelity will NEVER tell you about them because he wants to make the payments on his BMW.

The Saudis didn't start this, Russia did.

Putin is waging war on American shale

War? How is this not simple free market capitalism?

Putin and Russia need oil exports and they know lower prices will hurt the American shale producers. It's working, shale producers are losing billions in equity.

You didn't answer my question.

I did, you don't understand the answer

Let's see, when we manipulate the markets it's Capitalism. When others do so it's Communism. How's that working out?

I never mentioned Communism nor capitalism. The fact is economics can be used to wage war and that is what Putin is doing now.

Think sanctions as an example

Funny how the market is so protected, as if it were sacred, while the health of humans, upon which this virus shows the market is utterly dependent, is not as sacred in the U.S.

This is a bit more than a correction..if oil continues to drop...the markets will follow...you have money in a 401k? Too bad for you:

Stocks tumbled on Monday as investors braced for the economic fallout from the spreading coronavirus, while a shocking all-out oil price war added to the anxiety.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average tanked more than 1,800 points at the open, while the S&P 500 plunged 7%. The massive sell-off triggered a key market circuit breaker in morning trading. Trading was halted for 15 minutes until 9:49 a.m. ET.

The sharp declines followed a roller-coaster week that saw the S&P 500 swing up or down more than 2.5% for four days straight. While Monday’s drop was significant, it still didn’t crack the 20 worst days for the S&P 500.

Investors continued to seek safer assets amid additional fears that the coronavirus will disrupt global supply chains and tip the economy into a recession. The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note dropped below 0.5% for the first time ever, while the 30-year rate breached 1%.

Saudi Arabia on Saturday slashed official crude selling prices for April, in a sudden U-turn from previous attempts to support the oil market as the coronavirus hammers global demand. The move came after OPEC talks collapsed Friday, prompting some strategists to see oil prices crater to $20 this year.

“Crude has become a bigger problem for markets than the coronavirus,” Adam Crisafulli, founder of Vital Knowledge, said Sunday. “It will be virtually impossible for the [S&P 500] to sustainably bounce if Brent continues to crater,” he added.

Pro stock traders use fear and greed as primary tools to make money from suckers. They can't make money unless someone is losing. Don't be their sucker and don't be a fool.

War? How is this not simple free market capitalism?

Putin and Russia need oil exports and they know lower prices will hurt the American shale producers. It's working, shale producers are losing billions in equity.

You didn't answer my question.

I did, you don't understand the answer

Let's see, when we manipulate the markets it's Capitalism. When others do so it's Communism. How's that working out?

I never mentioned Communism nor capitalism. The fact is economics can be used to wage war and that is what Putin is doing now.

Think sanctions as an example

How are these not free market economics? That is my question.

ROTF! This is not about Trump...nor is it really about the virus...which is more a crisis of confidence--but if the crude oil prices continue to drop...THAT will be a real cause and effect swing..and could well trigger some unpleasant effects for the world economy. that is what I was referring to...not thinking that Trump or anyone else..can really do much about all that...
Low oil prices are bad?.....since when

Funny how the market is so protected, as if it were sacred, while the health of humans, upon which this virus shows the market is utterly dependent, is not as sacred in the U.S.

We lose as many as 30,000 Americans every flu season without panic, and without any effects on the market or the economy, so it's frustrating when something like this comes along that has such an impact and which in the end likely will not be much different than the effects of the seasonal flu.

We lose as many as 30,000 Americans every flu season without panic, and without any effects on the market or the economy, so it's frustrating when something like this comes along that has such an impact and which in the end likely will not be much different than the effects of the seasonal flu.
The greatest thing about this viral breakout is how it underlines the worthlessness of money and markets if people are unhealthy.

I moved my work 401k 80% into US treasuries 3 weeks ago.

Soros and Bloomberg are working with the Chicoms to try to collapse the US economy and help get a democrat into the White House

the markets will be fine....the economy is strong...this is just a hiccup that will sort itself out...

Plus, I am sure Trump will finally be passing that middle class tax cut this year....that he promised we would have 2 years ago...

ROTF! This is not about Trump...nor is it really about the virus...which is more a crisis of confidence--but if the crude oil prices continue to drop...THAT will be a real cause and effect swing..and could well trigger some unpleasant effects for the world economy. that is what I was referring to...not thinking that Trump or anyone else..can really do much about all that...
Yes this is about the virus because the virus is causing the drop

Does that mean gas will go below $2 / gallon?
If we're still allowed to drive anywhere, of course?

Maybe, the price of gas is not directly correlated to the price of oil. There are a lot
Do tell what should Trump do?
Man. Now is the time to buy....buy....buy

Can't believe people rally around misery and want a US failure.

Wanting a crash. I bet those wanting a crash don't have 2 nickels to rub. I feel so sorry for you.

So you buying stocks here. Tell me which ones so I can buy some puts on them. Stocks to go lower, much lower.
I never bought a share of stock in my life. I've had the same S-P mutual funds and certain sector funds for 40 yrs. Biotech was a home run. Fidelity Funds to be exact.

Have you heard of ETF’s? You can buy the same basket of stocks using ETFs as mutual funds without the fees. Your broker at Fidelity will NEVER tell you about them because he wants to make the payments on his BMW.

Lol. I've been in finance since Reagan was prez. 40 yrs ago when I opened up Fidelity they were no load, low fee, still the same for me.

I don't have a broker, I've managed my own portfolio. You are right, a monkey can pick them as good as most brokers. Lol

What is Trump doing? The fucking idiot Trump is tweeting about the NYTs and "fake news". We led by the king of fools, folks.
There is nothing trump can do about irrational mindless panic sweeping the world

the coronavirus will kill a few

the panic will kill more
And 20,000 died so far from the DAMN FLU.

DEMOCRATS MOTTO: never let a "crisis" go to waste. And if one doesnt exsist, MANUFACTURE ONE

Forum List

Back