Mara (G.I. Joe): Refurbished Patriotism(?)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Patriotism-storytelling has changed since WWII, and movies such as American Beauty, The Majestic, and G.I. Jane reflect this change.

The bold American paramilitary fantasy-adventure franchise G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (Hasbro) features modern 'warriors' (some masked!) contending with each other over the very hairy issue/concept of terrorism. G.I. Joe has been adapted into two full-length Hollywood (USA) films after 9/11.

The peculiar avant-garde Hellenistic G.I. Joe female character 'Mara' (sort of the opposite of the protagonist in Species) represents 'adaptation controversy criticism' (e.g., steroids-use news in the media), so here's an environmental-modernism G.I. Joe yarn (my final one!) inspired by the gender-passion film Courage Under Fire.

Signing off,

====

The Radiant Mara was a perfect muse of the 'art of war,' and she lived as a mermaid deep in the oceans of the Pacific. Mara knew that the Western Civilization was dealing with a new 'breed' of terrorism following the trauma of 9/11 in which anti-capitalism factions (overtly fundamentalist) such as the Taliban and ISIS were finding new forays into mass-mobilization targets (e.g., Boston Marathon). Mara also knew that dealing with this new terrorism was the patriotic paramilitary crusaders known as 'G.I. Joes' and their masked venomous rivals known as 'Cobra.'

The G.I. Joes were led by the resourceful Duke (whom it was rumored was actually a Hollywood celebrity!), while Cobra was led by a automaton-fascist named Serpentor (whom it was rumored was actually an Egyptian prince of hidden origins). Duke ordered his special ninja-assassin Snake-Eyes to dive underwater in the Pacific and find the secret base of Cobra. Snake-Eyes hypothesized Cobra would build its base under the waters of the Pacific by the science-research firm the Salk Institute (and he was correct!).

Cobra was using special computer-hacking technologies to extract vital modern science research files, protocols, and provisos from the U.S. government (since Salk was a secret 'satellite-building' of the Pentagon). Parking its fortress under Salk was a tactical feather, and Mara knew all this, so she disguised herself as a female cobra-agent (completely in uniform) and swam around the Salk, waiting for the daring Snake-Eyes to find her. Mara wondered if she should marry Snake-Eyes.

MARA: Thank goodness you found me...
SNAKE-EYES: Who are you (you're beautiful)?
MARA: My name is Mara, and I'm an 'angel of war.'
SNAKE-EYES: The modern world is all about terrorism --- no place for an 'angel.'
MARA: Listen to me, Snake-Eyes; you must protect the Salk Institute.
SNAKE-EYES: Why? Salk is no different from the Pentagon or NASA; G.I. Joe is objective.
MARA: Aren't you tired of being 'objective,' Snake-Eyes?
SNAKE-EYES: How do you know my name?
MARA: I'm an angel...I know a great deal. Diffusing terrorism requires optimism.
SNAKE-EYES: You want G.I. Joe to 'ogle' the World Trade Center just because of 9/11?
MARA: If we don't sanctify these 'civilization-targets,' we're no different than terrorists!
SNAKE-EYES: To destroy these scapegoating-monsters, we have to be dispassionate...
MARA: Unfortunately, a commercial globe (e.g., Wall Street, Starbucks) requires faith!
SNAKE-EYES: What exactly are you suggesting, Mara? I feel like I'm softening up...
MARA: You're simply falling in love with me, Snake-Eyes; I'm suggesting G.I. Joe be 'priestly.'
SNAKE-EYES: 'Priestly'? You want me to tell our commander (Duke) that Salk is a church?!
MARA: Precisely; consumerism-culture has made Americans cynical about monuments...
SNAKE-EYES: Alright; maybe G.I. Joe has become cynical too about Disney World!

====

marap.jpg

Forum List

Back