Man to be executed, Governor refuses DNA test

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Reality, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Reality

Reality Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
  2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    1) I am all for DNA testing in cases where there actually is evidence, one way or another, that sways in the balance between guilt and innocence

2) When do the appeals stop? What test next? There is a point where everything is exhausted, but our system of seemingly endless appeals keeps death row scum alive longer than the families of victims

3) I am all for the death penalty. Once fried or skewered or injected or gassed or shot or hung or whatever, the repeat crime rate of that person is exactly 0%. A sane society eliminates it's maniacal killers

3. Reality

Reality Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As long as you are willing to put your money where your mouth is and go to the chair yourself if it is conclusively proven any innocent person has been executed, then you aren't a hypocrite.

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Funny

With my morals and behavior, I don't see putting myself in that type of situation...

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

Innocent people die. Eyewitness tesimony is often totally wrong.

I say if there's DNA evidence to be gathered it should be done ESPECIALLY in capital cases.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    If the state is going to take a man's life for a crime -- the ultimate price of mortal men and there are no do-overs -- then the state needs to exhaust EVERY means to ensure there is no mistake.

I get frustrated with the appeals process too, but fixing THAT makes more sense and is more morally acceptable to me than executing innocent people.

Imagine how that must feel. KNOWING you did not commit a crime and watching them execute you and nothing you can say is going to stop it. When that can come down to how good a lawyer you can get, the system's broken.

People get caught up too much in the moral argument as the problem without looking at actual cause and effect. We have the death penalty. We use the death penalty. Is our application of the death penalty foolproof?

Not even close. Fix what's broken first. THEN argue your morals.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    I doubt the ones that are executed for something they didn't do never saw themselves in that position either.

8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Except that many are career criminals or criminals of another sort that were in a situation or put themselves in a situation to be where they are...

Could I be thrust into a weird situation where my fingerprints are somewhere and an eyewitness confuses my average looks for someone else's? yep... there is a chance of ANYTHING happening in this world... but with proper decision making in life, it is HIGHLY unlikely

9. Reality

Reality Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So your position is that these people likely deserved it anyways? :confused:

10. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Nice try...

My position is that many times, they are in this position because of choices and other behaviors... not that anyone that is not a murderer (or child molester, in my eyes) is 'deserving' of the death penalty