Man man still be master of the machine taecnology?

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2014
Waiting on the Cowardly Dante!!
It was man versus machine when world table tennis champion Timo Boll was pitted against his strongest challenger - a ROBOT on March 11, 2014.

German ping pong legend Timo has won several world and European accolades but none could prepare him for the rise of the machines.

Timo has been voted German sportsman of the year several times but it's in China where he is most celebrated for his table tennis mastery.

So when Robot firm Kuka decided to open a factory in Shanghai he was a natural ambassador for the firm, and the grand opening was celebrated with him being pitted against a Kuka robot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIJME8-au8]The Duel: Timo Boll vs. KUKA Robot - YouTube[/ame]

It was a staged ad, not actual game or capabilities. Robotic arms that do their thing autonomously could never react quickly enough, or even physically move quick enough to play table tennis, let alone beat a human. And even if it's controlled by a human operator it still couldn't beat another human.

Whole thing was shown as the staged event it was.

• Banned
It was a staged ad, not actual game or capabilities. Robotic arms that do their thing autonomously could never react quickly enough, or even physically move quick enough to play table tennis, let alone beat a human. And even if it's controlled by a human operator it still couldn't beat another human.

Whole thing was shown as the staged event it was.

Possibly, but..."Agilus, the world's fastest robot, was programmed for all kind of moves in order to withstand the challenging match against Timo Boll," Zentner writes in his Vimeo summary of the production.

• Banned
Great add for Kuka Robotics. I'm in the welding supply industry and we sell robotic welding systems. They're amazing to watch and they are almost flawless where welding is concerned but a man still has to be present to reload the machine with welding wire and assure that the measurements are still within spec. Therefore, in the long run, machines will always be dependent upon man (oil, maintenance, software upgrades, etc.).

Great add for Kuka Robotics. I'm in the welding supply industry and we sell robotic welding systems. They're amazing to watch and they are almost flawless where welding is concerned but a man still has to be present to reload the machine with welding wire and assure that the measurements are still within spec. Therefore, in the long run, machines will always be dependent upon man (oil, maintenance, software upgrades, etc.).

Sooner or later, IF this world doesn't blow itself up, all of those things will be done by other robots.... a ways in the future, but just look where robotics have come in 50 years.

I was born only a few years after this!

mark1.jpg

Sooner or later, IF this world doesn't blow itself up, all of those things will be done by other robots.... a ways in the future, but just look where robotics have come in 50 years.

I went to a big AWS (American Welding Society) convention in the late 90s. It was the first time I got to see two robotic arms in motion. They had programmed the two arms to work in unison. I was fascinated by it. I stood there for almost an hour just gaping.

I went to a big AWS (American Welding Society) convention in the late 90s. It was the first time I got to see two robotic arms in motion. They had programmed the two arms to work in unison. I was fascinated by it. I stood there for almost an hour just gaping.

Yes, "taechnology" is awe inspiring at many points of it's development. I remember well my grandfather telling me about the first time he saw a "horseless carriage" in 1903! Like seeing a UFO land on Mooch's front lawn today! :D

Forum List

Back