Mag 6.9-7.0 quake off Eureka, California

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
No tsunami generated according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center here,
http://ptwc.weather.gov/?region=2&id=hawaii.TIBHWX.2014.03.10.0527

No damage reported ashore. No casualties.

Was in Dublin, California in '89. On the 2nd floor of our duplex, in bed, hit suddenly like a semi crashed into the side of the house. Bedroom walls were swaying visibly as I lept up and dashed outside. Passing my brother's room I noticed his small fishbowl was sloshing violently with water spilling out. Getting outside the trees were swaying as if in a strong wind. Power went out, and heading to my pizza place haunt they still had power and breaking news showing the Bay Bridge collapsed.

...The '89 quake was 7.1

Moving here to Missouri 14 years ago, we don't have earthquakes, but tornadoes. Had one a few years ago close I could see the debris cloud and some debris was coming down in our parking lot. Only an EF-0/1 as I recall but still. Like everyone else not from there, and whom G-d has decided shouldn't breed, I went outside to watch. "Tornado? Where?!" :)

...The '89 quake was 7.1

Moving here to Missouri 14 years ago, we don't have earthquakes, but tornadoes. Had one a few years ago close I could see the debris cloud and some debris was coming down in our parking lot. Only an EF-0/1 as I recall but still. Like everyone else not from there, and whom G-d has decided shouldn't breed, I went outside to watch. "Tornado? Where?!" :)

Don't count on not being in Earthquake County! See The New Madrid Seismic Zone.

Historic Earthquakes

In 1989 I had parked my Dodge 3/4 ton van next to a hotel by Buchanan Field (a general aviation airport) ready to meet friends and have adult beverages as we watched the World Series. As I parked the van it began to vibrate and then bounce on the shocks as I got out I felt the ground moving and soon a stream of people came out of the hotel. As I looked to the airfield I actually saw the waves moving across the tarmac and a man driving by stopped his car and with a questioning look said, "Earthquake"? As a native of the Bay Area I had felt a number of quakes but nothing like this. I responded, "Yeah, and people are dying"! Still gives me shivers.

Last edited:
the new madrid.

madrid.jpg

knocked the mississippi out of its banks and re routed the flow. church bells on the east coast rang. still active and monitored today. and not far from me

the new madrid.

madrid.jpg

knocked the mississippi out of its banks and re routed the flow. church bells on the east coast rang. still active and monitored today. and not far from me

I hope you have prepared, we change our food stuffs and emergency water supply in the spring and fall to coincide with the change of time (batteries too).

Ya I knew about New Madrid, but it's basically the same as worrying about Yellowstone's supervolcano. If it happens you're royally screwed so don't worry about it. :)

Good luck with that. Unless preparing to live the rest of your life underground, surviving the immediate effects wont do you any good. Ash released into the atmosphere will cause a 'volcanic winter' like effect killing off all vegetation results in total collapse of the US, Canada, and eventually the rest of the northern hemisphere. As the US ceases to exist as a unified country, everything the government does to keep us healthy alive as with bringing stores food, keeping the water clean, providing electricity, etc. will end. Temperature will plummet, air travel will end (as it did when just a small volcano erupted a few years ago,) structures will collapse from the weight of the ash (volcano ash isn't as light and soft as ciggy ash say, better thought of as very small rocks,) inhalation of the ash will cause suffocation in extreme cases, and respiratory issues in minor ones. Surviving the immediate effects just ensures you die from some secondary effect.

been through many
once back in the 70s I was sitting on the ground and it picked up one bun and then the other bun in succession.

what a trip

"The First 72 are on you" is a good way to remember emergency prep. Plan on spending 72 hours without any sort of assistance from authorities....

"The First 72 are on you" is a good way to remember emergency prep. Plan on spending 72 hours without any sort of assistance from authorities....

My grandfather was 12 when the 1906 quake and fire destroyed much of San Francisco. He and his two older brothers (14 and 16) set out to see the damage later that morning and before the fires caused them to flee to Oakland; they returned to The City in less than a year.

He always referred to the event as The Fire, as did many of those survivors I listened to growing up. His home on what is now Grant Ave (then Dupont St.) at Filbert St. burned, likely why he referred to the event as The Fire.

He remembered and related to me the horror they saw as they walked downtown (to Market St.) on the day of the quake. There saw bodies of those crushed by fallen buildings and dead horses who suffered the same fate. He also remembered period of dead silence punctuated by cries for help when survivors were found trapped in the rubble. I wish now I had a means to record his memories and those of others I asked what they remembered of Apr. 18, 1906 and its aftermath.

On April 18, 2006 at 0512 my sons and I were on Market St. where Lotta's Fountain (one of the few places potable water was available after the quake) is still located, with hundreds of others we silently listened to fire engine bells ring, a hundred years to the minute after the quake stuck. A few survivors - all had been too young to remember the quake and fire - were present; on April 18, 1966, my then girlfriend and I, were at City Hall at 0512 for the 50 year remembrance and several survivors spoke of their experience. History, especially oral history is, is fascinating and an important and necessary ingredient in understanding our world today.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back