Looks like Trump DOJ favors the riche again. DOJ cut deal with Pardue over OxyContin where they keep Billion$

White 6

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
AP reporting deal made on the Pardue Phama case over OxyContin, but no executives going to jail, including the Sackler family, over their marketing that made OxyContin a household word and hooked Americans coast to coast in the opioid epidemic, causing 470,000 death since 2000, costing the US economy $2.56 Trillion Dollars between 2015 and 2018 (3.4% of GDP) according to White House figures. It also settle civil liability, while the Sackler Family keeps Billion$.

There is something to be said for cutting a deal on this kind of thing.

Pardue's best selling oxycodone based medicine always required physicians to prescribe it as well as pharmacists to dispense it.

i don't know about the rest of you all, but when I was in school in the 1970's, the brothers taught us that narcotics can be habit forming. For licensed physicians not to know the simple truths that teenaged boys in the Midwest and religious priests and brothers know is a damning accusation.

The doctors knew that Oxy was addictive from day one, regards of what Pardue might have said.

Pardue's best selling oxycodone based medicine always required physicians to prescribe it as well as pharmacists to dispense it.

i don't know about the rest of you all, but when I was in school in the 1970's, the brothers taught us that narcotics can be habit forming. For licensed physicians not to know the simple truths that teenaged boys in the Midwest and religious priests and brothers know is a damning accusation.

The doctors knew that Oxy was addictive from day one, regards of what Pardue might have said.
I think that is why they were charged with violating anti-kickback laws. Doctors are susceptible to money also.

What I always find most frustrating is how if you are some kid they destroyed with this shit, you can expect to have no standing in suing these fucking predators, but your state, or municipality do! They do this by claiming financial damages and thee general welfare or what the fuck, what about the 14 year old boy or girl, who is now a 24 year old junkie, whose MD slammed them onto this shit for ludicrous and nebulous medical conditions??? They have destroyed a generation of youth, I have seen these kids in the system and it is absolutely certain that most of them will die well before their time. The effort it takes to get them clean is fucking Herculean, and possesses about a 9-12% long term success rate....

I think that is why they were charged with violating anti-kickback laws. Doctors are susceptible to money also.

I guess I can understand that. But would the patients really have been better off if their doctors had prescribed Dilaudid instead of Oxy? When I broke my arm 3 years ago, that's what they gave me probably because of Oxy lawsuits.

AP reporting deal made on the Pardue Phama case over OxyContin, but no executives going to jail, including the Sackler family, over their marketing that made OxyContin a household word and hooked Americans coast to coast in the opioid epidemic, causing 470,000 death since 2000, costing the US economy $2.56 Trillion Dollars between 2015 and 2018 (3.4% of GDP) according to White House figures. It also settle civil liability, while the Sackler Family keeps Billion$.

Why would executives go to jail?

Did executives force people to take prescription drugs? Or did people make the choice?
Did executives prescribe Oxycontin, or did doctors?
Did executives start illegally selling it on the street? Or did people make that choice?

Why do we keep blaming everyone else, but the people who actually broke laws?

I guess I can understand that. But would the patients really have been better off if their doctors had prescribed Dilaudid instead of Oxy? When I broke my arm 3 years ago, that's what they gave me probably because of Oxy lawsuits.
Their marketing was very effective in how they influence doctor to prescribe the drug. That is why they are to poster boy for putting profits before detrimental effects that became quickly known to them and their kickback and marketing bonuses were criminal.

Did executives force people to take prescription drugs? Or did people make the choice?
Did executives start illegally selling it on the street? Or did people make that choice?

They should go to jail for criminal negligence and for setting up the marketing and kickback scheme influencing doctor, lack of control of product that got to the street level and a host of other reasons.
Doctor in many cases were willing accomplices for profit and many of them should be punished, as some have been.
Executive did not sell on the street, but they bear responsibility for their supply chain to a great extent.
It is white collar crime at it's finest and after all is said and done, nets the company over $3 Billion Dollar$. Not enough to say, free enterprise and capitalism is ok, no matter how you skin it, yet to settle the offenses you net a profit after fines like that. The trump administration limited their liability globally according the the DOJ document, I did not post, but likable from the articles. The Sackler are a drug cartel without the weapons, no better, but protected now to spend their ill-gotten profits for generations. It worked out well for them.

They should go to jail for criminal negligence and for setting up the marketing and kickback scheme influencing doctor, lack of control of product that got to the street level and a host of other reasons.
Doctor in many cases were willing accomplices for profit and many of them should be punished, as some have been.
Executive did not sell on the street, but they bear responsibility for their supply chain to a great extent.
It is white collar crime at it's finest and after all is said and done, nets the company over $3 Billion Dollar$. Not enough to say, free enterprise and capitalism is ok, no matter how you skin it, yet to settle the offenses you net a profit after fines like that. The trump administration limited their liability globally according the the DOJ document, I did not post, but likable from the articles. The Sackler are a drug cartel without the weapons, no better, but protected now to spend their ill-gotten profits for generations. It worked out well for them.

Kickback schemes exist absolutely everywhere in the entire world. You are really talking about sales commissions. Doctors are.... due to regulations and how prescriptions work.... sales people.

Most sales positions are commission based.

At my last job, U-haul gave out free gifts every 6 months, for us using more of their productions.

Everyone does this. Everyone.

Is it right? Debatable. But the fact is, it is legal. If you don't like it being legal, that's fine. But you can't throw people in prison, simply because you think it shouldn't be legal. You need to change the law FIRST... and then you can toss people in prison for violating it.

Not enough to say, free enterprise and capitalism is ok,

But this isn't free enterprise. Free enterprise, as the name suggests, means you need to deregulate the drug industry.

As long as you have prescription systems in place, there is going to be a black market demand. As long as there is a black market demand, people are going to find a way to sell the drugs.

Attacking the manufacturer is ridiculous.

The irony is, people seem to grasp this in other context. How many times have we heard "The war on drugs was a failure!"... which is true, but why? Because we didn't kill the drug users. We kept trying to stop the drug suppliers. Did that work? No.

So why do you think that is a solution here?

It's like we can even spout off the lesson... and yet still push that as the solution. We know targeting the drug suppliers doesn't work. We've been doing that for the last 100 years. Yet here we are screaming to attack the drug supplier again, as if we have never tried this.

We need to kill drug users. That would solve the problem.

Kickback schemes exist absolutely everywhere in the entire world. You are really talking about sales commissions. Doctors are.... due to regulations and how prescriptions work.... sales people.

At my last job, U-haul gave out free gifts every 6 months, for us using more of their productions.

Is it right? Debatable. But the fact is, it is legal. If you don't like it being legal, that's fine. But you can't throw people in prison, simply because you think it shouldn't be legal. You need to change the law FIRST... and then you can toss people in prison for violating it.

But this isn't free enterprise. Free enterprise, as the name suggests, means you need to deregulate the drug industry.

As long as you have prescription systems in place, there is going to be a black market demand. As long as there is a black market demand, people are going to find a way to sell the drugs.

The irony is, people seem to grasp this in other context. How many times have we heard "The war on drugs was a failure!"... which is true, but why? Because we didn't kill the drug users. We kept trying to stop the drug suppliers. Did that work? No.

It's like we can even spout off the lesson... and yet still push that as the solution. We know targeting the drug suppliers doesn't work. We've been doing that for the last 100 years. Yet here we are screaming to attack the drug supplier again, as if we have never tried this.

I have been in outside sales also. The DOJ wasn't talking about the outside salesmen of the company, but yes I think it was the kickbacks to doctors that was the referred to and pleaded guilty to. We do not need to kill drug user. They did an excellent job at doing that and that is why they got themselves into this problem.

I have been in outside sales also. The DOJ wasn't talking about the outside salesmen of the company, but yes I think it was the kickbacks to doctors that was the referred to and pleaded guilty to. We do not need to kill drug user. They did an excellent job at doing that and that is why they got themselves into this problem.

No, they did not kill the drug users, or there would not be any still doing it.

Yes, I grasp that some doctors were engaged in illegal activity. My understand is that this had to do with knowingly giving prescriptions who didn't need it. Not because of the compensation from the company.

Without criminal charges this was a complete waste of time.

Forum List

Back