Looks like more "achievement" will have to be unlocked with a subscription

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Computer hardware subscriptions on the horizon?

Intel has "software-defined silicon" which allows unlocking capabilities on a single model of processor. Instead of manufacturing more models of CPU, they can manufacture fewer, with specific capabilities locked down until/unless you pay.

Intel tried this back in 2010 by allowing higher clocks and more cache on certain CPUs.

They have both a "one-time" fee model, and a metered "consumption" model.

So far, the features are only on Intel's enterprise/server-grade CPUs, but I don't see why this couldn't come to the consumer market.

People are being conditioned and tolerating having to pay a monthly subscription for everything in their house. And since a desktop CPU sold today may serve many users well for 10+ years, I'd bet Intel/AMD are going to start looking for ways to get cash from consumers years after the product was manufactured, and regardless of who the original buyer was.

I'm not all that savvy on such things (Luddites look to me for answers) but damn.

Computer hardware subscriptions on the horizon?

Intel has "software-defined silicon" which allows unlocking capabilities on a single model of processor. Instead of manufacturing more models of CPU, they can manufacture fewer, with specific capabilities locked down until/unless you pay.

Intel tried this back in 2010 by allowing higher clocks and more cache on certain CPUs.

They have both a "one-time" fee model, and a metered "consumption" model.

So far, the features are only on Intel's enterprise/server-grade CPUs, but I don't see why this couldn't come to the consumer market.

People are being conditioned and tolerating having to pay a monthly subscription for everything in their house. And since a desktop CPU sold today may serve many users well for 10+ years, I'd bet Intel/AMD are going to start looking for ways to get cash from consumers years after the product was manufactured, and regardless of who the original buyer was.

I'm not all that savvy on such things (Luddites look to me for answers) but damn.

In a culture that encourages thievery, this is up there with the biggest offenses.

Forum List

Back