Looking for quick, cheap dinner ideas/recipes...

Oh yeah the salmon patties. Canned salmon was dirt cheap for some reason way back when--it is ungodly expensive now--and Mom would make what she called salmon croquettes--a little taller and rounder than salmon patties. And I did like those but have never been able to duplicate them. Don't like salmon all that much any other way though. I do like most fish.

And meatloaf. Now that is one depression era staple--made from whatever ground beef and pork scraps were left over and they didn't have the heart to throw away--that I never developed a taste for. And I can eat it but don't really enjoy it yet today. It is certainly something I would never voluntarily seek out.

And fried potatoes instead of mashed ones in that Irish colcannon? I do believe that is the way it is most commonly done around here. now that I think about it. Just never thought to ask what it was called. :)

Fried potatoes would make the colcannon more like a salad, though, I guess, I've never really thought about it. Meat loaf was something my mother didn't fix often, usually she took one to the family reunions pot luck. I have a meat loaf recipe I like, and can eat Cracker Barrel's. When I want it, I want it, when I don't, I don't. We used to have those salmon patties. I think the defining thing is to put an egg in them and mix it up. It keeps it all together when you fry it.

It was like 2 different families. My brother and sister were the depression children, born in the 30s. I was younger, growing up in the 50s. I thought my mother's ways were strange. She was older than my friends' parents and they didn't carry so much of that Great Depression around with them. I am not much like my brother and sister, really. I definitely take more chances than they do. If something isn't a sure thing, they aren't going to touch it. Me, I think if you study for something there is no guarantee that you will get to do it, but if you don't study for it the chances you won't get to do it are 100%. So, I've out educated, out worked, and out earned them both.

No, my stuff wasn't like a salad at all.

I started with the bacon, then you throw in the cabbage and cut up potatoes and onions, and fry it all until everything is done. Nothing is crispy.

It is pretty good though...but quite ugly to look at. For some reason I always called it Trelawny...I don't know where I got the idea that was what it's called.

But it's just like an Irish pan dinner.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back