Looking Ahead

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Flopper, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,298
    This year has certainly been a better year for the economy than last year and economists are looking for more gains next year. If the downtrend in unemployment continues through 2012, it will certainly help the Democrats.

The long-suffering job market is ending the year better off than it began. The number of people applying for unemployment benefits each week has dropped by 10 percent since January. The unemployment rate, 8.6 percent in November, is at its lowest level in nearly three years.

Factory output is rising, business owners say they’re more optimistic about hiring and consumer confidence has jumped to its highest level since April. Even the beleaguered housing market is looking slightly better.

Modest economic growth, fewer layoffs points to steady hiring gains next year - The Washington Post

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,003
    Yes, this is encouraging news. I hope the trend continues. However, this is probably not good news for Obama haters.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    IF unemployment goes down, Obama's chances of winning the election are pretty good.

Otherwise?

I doubt he has much chance.

4. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,456
    My sales were down by 6% in 2011 overall. However, my 4th qtr year on year numbers are up by 8%.

I am optimistic regarding the prospects for my business in 2012. I would very much appreciate it if you nutters could begin forcing your GOP legislators to be honest brokers in Washington. We need those idiots to work together to keep the recovery going. We need them to stop trying to frighten their lemmings and, instead, find ways to promote consumer confidence.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,884

Prostitution is a crime...well, not in DC...but everywhere else.

6. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,058
    Lets hope it continues.

As for the politics, it doesn't need to be good news v. bad news. But I would be shocked if Obama were to put his arm around John Boehner and make a joint statement about bipartisanship.

The older I get, the more I admire the aspect of the English system where the "ruling party" basically is able to run the country until they are voted out. This gridlock that is now built in to the system will eventually cripple the nation if it hasn't already. The gridlock isn't self-imposed by the Constitution; it is the product of party politics and nothing else.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,058
    Theres plenty of hypocrisy to go around as far as "honest brokers" are concerned on both sides of the aisle. But in terms of the macro debate White House v. Congress...you're spot on.

8. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,456
    I expect LOYAL dissent and opposition from the party that does not occupy the WH. Having an impact on Presidential politics should not be a stated goal of the opposition. That is what i refer to when I say call for honest brokers.

9. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    "I expect LOYAL dissent and opposition from the party that does not occupy the WH. Having an impact on Presidential politics should not be a stated goal of the opposition. That is what i refer to when I say call for honest brokers."

And some times Santa leaves a piece of coal in the stocking...

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,720
    If you guys think Obama is going to get re-elected you're only fooling yourselves. He's history... very bad history.