Logical Fallacies

HUZZAHHHH!!!! I've been Godwinned!

And now to add the frosting to this thread... A lolcat.

c30fa98084c98ac74b268f462cee2208_20110118112313_720.jpg

babby.jpg

How is babby formed?

You know, everybody should read these regularly, just so when you're being an ass, you'll know you are. I hate to see people being asses accidentally, it's like watching them pick their nose.

The University of Phoenix Master List of Logical Fallacies

1. Ad hominem or ATTACKING THE PERSON. Attacking the arguer rather than his/her argument. Example: John's objections to capital punishment carry no weight since he is a convicted felon. Note: Saying something negative about someone is not automatically ad hominem. If a person (politician for example) is the issue, then it is not a fallacy to criticize him/her.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/158199-51-hours-left-to-live.html#post3394704

Fuck off, you crack whore. You have no idea of what I've had to live through or what I've witnessed.

This is not part of a debate, but an antagonistic exchange between two people. So I get to call her a crack whore without it reflecting on anything, since I wasn't trying to prove anything except, perhaps, that she deserves to be called a crack whore.

"Note: Saying something negative about someone is not automatically ad hominem. If a person (politician for example) is the issue, then it is not a fallacy to criticize him/her." From the fallacy list

Last edited:
You know, everybody should read these regularly, just so when you're being an ass, you'll know you are. I hate to see people being asses accidentally, it's like watching them pick their nose.

1. Ad hominem or ATTACKING THE PERSON. Attacking the arguer rather than his/her argument. Example: John's objections to capital punishment carry no weight since he is a convicted felon. Note: Saying something negative about someone is not automatically ad hominem. If a person (politician for example) is the issue, then it is not a fallacy to criticize him/her.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/158199-51-hours-left-to-live.html#post3394704

Fuck off, you crack whore. You have no idea of what I've had to live through or what I've witnessed.

This is not part of a debate, but an antagonistic exchange between two people. So I get to call her a crack whore without it reflecting on anything, since I wasn't trying to prove anything except, perhaps, that she deserves to be called a crack whore.

You attacked the arguer rather than her argument.

42. I wasn't debating or I WAS JUST BEING A BITCH. A common ploy by Allie Babble when engaging in discussion. Example: Calling someone a crack whore during a discussion of assisted suicide and then claiming there was no debate going on.

42. I wasn't debating or I WAS JUST BEING A BITCH. A common ploy by Allie Babble when engaging in discussion. Example: Calling someone a crack whore during a discussion of assisted suicide and then claiming there was no debate going on.

This is stupid. Luser said something obnoxious about me and I called her a crack whore.

The ad hominem was hers, and I called her a crack whore because of it.

You guys really are pathetic and could benefit from a class on critical thinking.

Here, let me help you:

Online College Degree Programs - Online School - University of Phoenix

Lol. No it's not one of the hallowed halls of higher learning, but it is still probably too much for you two dweebs.

Here's a simple guide on fallacies easily copied and put in a favorites file.

Fallacies

The OP is helpful and might have opened a debate; sadly a fool devolved the thead into catshit (aka bullshit)
Posting such is NOT an ad hominem attack on xotoxi, it is comment on observed behavior.

1. Ad hominem or ATTACKING THE PERSON. Attacking the arguer rather than his/her argument. Example:

Low self-esteem: This is a hallmark of most people with a compulsive lying disorder. Deep-seated feelings of inferiority drive such a person to fabricate a persona that makes them feel more worthy.
Other negative personality traits: Compulsive lying is often a secondary impulse related to other personality disorders. Watch for narcissistic and/or manipulative behavior. Inappropriate emotions and impulsive reactions to situations can be another tip off that something is not quite right.
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): People suffering from ADHD also demonstrate impulsive behavior, and it's possible for this to escalate into uncontrollable lying if not kept in check.
Addictions: People with addictions to gambling, alcohol, drugs or other activities also are much more likely to lie compulsively.
Bipolar Disorder: Sufferers of a bipolar disorder seesaw through periods of depression and mania. Depression is usually accompanied by low self-esteem and feeling like life is dreadful. Mania is the complete opposite, and a person feels like life is grand and nothing can get in the way. Impulsive behavior is common during this period, and it becomes easier to tell a lie than face reality.
Inability to face reality: Even when confronted with the cold facts, a true compulsive liar will never admit the truth. Attempts to make the person do so will result in further lying and perhaps even emotional outbursts designed to deflect attention from the lying.
Symptoms of Compulsive Liars - LoveToKnow Recovery

Sky, thy name art LIAR.

:eusa_hand:

Er..Ravi, please tell me which person I was attacking in that thread, or what the argument was, oand qu

It was my OP about compulsive lying and what constitutes it. Any posts in that thread that attack me personally would be evidence of the logical fallacy you have retferenced. My post is just an explanation of what constitutes compulsive lying.

Sorry about the weird gibbering encrypted in my postings. Fucking keyboard.

:eek: Allie is going to have to stop posting as she commits one of those almost every time she posts.
Ad Hominem.

:razz:

Not ad hominem. Sorry. Ad hominem would be "people like Allie commit one of these almost every time they post".

The statement as it is exists is a direct and straightforward personal insult though, in a formal debate, there would have to be substantiation for it as well as support for stopping posting being an imperative.

Forum List

Back