Lincoln and the Moral Imagination.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
In September 1862, Otto von Bismarck, the new prime minister of Prussia, went to the Prussian Chamber of Deputies to confront the Budget Committee. His face still sunburned from a trip to the south of France, he urged the lawmakers not to waste time in political debate while Germany remained ununited. “It is not to Prussia’s liberalism that Germany looks,” he said, “but to its power. . . . It is not by means of speeches and majority resolutions that the great issues of the day will be decided—that was the great mistake of 1848 and 1849—but by Eisen und Blut” (iron and blood).

Across the Atlantic, Abraham Lincoln reached a similar conclusion—or so Edmund Wilson argued in his 1962 book Patriotic Gore. In Wilson’s reading, Lincoln, too, had used “iron and blood” to achieve his goals: both he and Bismarck had “established a strong central government over hitherto loosely coordinated peoples. Lincoln kept the Union together by subordinating the South to the North; Bismarck imposed on the German states the cohesive hegemony of Prussia.” Other scholars have made the same argument more recently.

Was Wilson right to find a similarity of method and purpose in the two greatest statesmen of their age?

Lincoln and the Moral Imagination

A great statesmen?
Well, that is certainly one way to label a tyrant :/

Why was Lincoln a tyrant?
He threw people in jail for having an opinion different from his. He sent his thugs out on a "scorched earth" policy that killed, raped and stole from innocent women and children. He suspended habeas corpus while also ignoring the Supreme Court.

He threw people in jail for having an opinion different from his. He sent his thugs out on a "scorched earth" policy that killed, raped and stole from innocent women and children. He suspended habeas corpus while also ignoring the Supreme Court.

I've checked him out, after you told me that. Hadn't paid much attention to him, apart from walking to the Memorial from Foggy Bottom. And I read about his assassination. (Not Bill O'Reilly)

There is divided opinion on Bismark.

I'm wondering where the "statesman" comes in.

Absolutely Lincoln was a Tyrant. He trashed the US Constitution more than any other President. Started a war without Congressional approval. Used Terrorism to win this war. Lincoln should have been hanged for his war crimes. Instead he was shot. Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Absolutely Lincoln was a Tyrant. He trashed the US Constitution more than any other President. Started a war without Congressional approval. Used Terrorism to win this war. Lincoln should have been hanged for his war crimes. Instead he was shot. Sic Semper Tyrannis.
Losers always talk that way...

Just a relevant tidbit for language fans.

The OP mentions the Prussian leader's reference to "Eisen und Blut" ("iron and blood").

I have read that most history books written in English about the Prussian leader usually refer to his policy of "blood and iron."

As I understand it, linguists say that English speakers are more comfortable with the spoken rhythm of "blood and iron" than with the spoken rhythm of "iron and blood."

I've checked him out, after you told me that. Hadn't paid much attention to him, apart from walking to the Memorial from Foggy Bottom. And I read about his assassination. (Not Bill O'Reilly)

There is divided opinion on Bismark.

I'm wondering where the "statesman" comes in.

He was one of the great diplomats of his age, unified Germany and made Europe a relatively peaceful region for nearly three decades. When Wilhelm II dismissed him out of petty spite, war and international chaos was guaranteed. Probably would have come anyway, when he died, but it would have been far less destructive, and not world wars and dystopian communist regimes taking root. The final fall of feudalism in Europe, the Tsars and the Hapsburg Empire, would have gone easier, at least for western Europe; the Russian collapse would have been less extensive and contained much better.

Forum List

Back