Like ID, This Does NOT Belong In A Classroom

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm unsure of it's Spidey or PM that keeps harping on 'non science' in a science classroom, but it happens across the education spectrum, in colleges and high schools, heck even in grammar schools:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/n...9a00b14e5&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

2. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Republicans are more concerned with making money than with having an enjoyable job.

Which is why there will always be more left wing Professors than right wing.

However, any professor who wastes time in a physics class on politics should be fired. Its unprofessional and wrong.

3. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

After retiring I took a couple of college courses out of bordom...let me tell you all ya get no matter what class you take today is Liberal politics and brainwashing...needless to say I dropped out,for lack of interest and pure disgust!...Do not need higher education for promotion when already retired! :tng:

4. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Care to show some evidence of this? Or is this just another of your wonderfuly idiotic generalizations that you pulled from your ass?

Why is everything Dem vs Rep to you? Isnt there a right vs Wrong?

5. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I have a BS in physics and I am in grad school in physics for one and a half years now, and I have never encountered any politics in any of my classes other than political science. A very bad (as in not funny) nerdy joke about Bush was once made in the weekly department colloquium, but never once in class.

6. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

Sure. College science professors make less money than their governmental and corporate counterparts. The profs usually get more vacation and have more freedom to do their own research and they are majority Democrat - the opposite is true on all counts for government and corporate counterparts.

7. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I would say you are very much in the minority. First, a few uninventive articles rather than giving my own opinion. These would be considered examples to most of us, rather than just inhaling whatever I can find on some website and regurgitating it as my own.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html

http://www.bcheights.com/media/pape...cla-Student.Tackles.Liberal.Bias-664476.shtml

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...s/2005/04/11/liberal_bias_in_the_ivory_tower/

A couple of my own examples: A friend of mine was majoring in Agricultural Law at Texas Tech. On the first day of one of his classes, the professor went into the right wing bias in the American media and how the military trained nothing but baby killers. If you can tell me what that has to do with Agricultural Law, not to mention how it's not Liberal bias, I'd love to hear.

I've mentioned this one before. A little over a year ago I had a debate with a young man... Well, if you consider me making my point and backing it up with facts while he says, "No. I'm right, you're wrong" a debate. Anyway, this young man was insistant that President Clinton had never been impeached. At first, I thought he was just confused on his terminology. Nope. He was adament that the entire impeachment was nothing but a conspiracy created by the "Republican controlled media", and an impeachment never took place. Forget about the fact that there were countless references to it, that Clinton himself had spoke of it, and there was an area of the Clinton Library dedicated to it, it never happened. This might be written off as the ignorant ramblings of a wacko, if it weren't for the fact that he attained this "knowledge" from his Constitutional Law professor. Nope. No Liberal bias there.

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I took a couple of off duty education classess from time to time and noticed that a lot of the teachers tried to mix in current events with the curriculum. It was most pronounced in the political science class, and in the History class.

Of course this was during the Clinton years (shudder) so I got to be the heckler. Since the classes were on base most of the students were Marines, which meant El Perfessor was outnumbered and outgunned.

:rotflmao:

9. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I'd love to have seen that. You should see the bias in law school.

10. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

I met a guy who swears he was abducted by aliens. I don't know what quacks have to do with our discussion, though. So you found a dude who thinks the impeachment never happened. THere are people who believe the 16th Amendment was never lawfully passed, or that the moon landing never happened, or that lawyers are not eligible to public office.