Life in the 1950's as certainly far better than the GAY world of today!

LittleNipper

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2013

Well, we did eat in the kitchen except when company came! Idealism is so much better than in your face sex!

297.png

Life in the 1950's as certainly far better than the GAY world of today!

Unless you were a racial or religious minority, a woman, homosexual, casual drug user, or a communist.
Communist suck no matter where they exist. As for religious minorities, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Mennonites, Presbyterians, Quakers, Amish ---- are all minorities when compared to the Roman Catholics. There are no casual drug users ---- only addicts who don't know it yet. As for women --- they didn't yet realize they didn't want a good husband and children. Now they can date bad boys forever, work all day and die lonely old maids!:woohoo:

Last edited:
Any time in history was better than today.

The world just gets worse and worse every passing year.

I had a girlfriend named "Gay". She was black. Her dad had a 50's something or other Chevy Nomad. I remember being in their house, and watching Grouchos show, "you bet your life" .

Reminds me about the good ol' days, a friend of mine was called "Gay" . It was her given name, really. Gay used to mean something else . Other than a sexual password...

The OP's thread title immediately reminded me of these words attributed to Sir Winston Churchill:

"Preferred the past to the present and the present to the future."

The 1950s seem better because the worst parts have been forgotten. And those looking back, for the most part were children then.

The fact is, more people were kept "in their place", more children died of suffered horribly from diseases, more people had their lives ruined by baseless accusations, and information was often difficult to come by. Perhaps "Ignorance is Bliss" sounds good to some, but I prefer reality.

The 1950s seem better because the worst parts have been forgotten. And those looking back, for the most part were children then.

The fact is, more people were kept "in their place", more children died of suffered horribly from diseases, more people had their lives ruined by baseless accusations, and information was often difficult to come by. Perhaps "Ignorance is Bliss" sounds good to some, but I prefer reality.
There were things about the 1950s that are better than today. We had a better culture, though merely saying so gets one branded a racist, sexist, and homophobe.

This column by two liberal college professors spell it out. Both have been ruthlessly attacked by the Left, for merely writing this column.

Paying the price for breakdown of the country's bourgeois culture
That culture laid out the script we all were supposed to follow: Get married before you have children and strive to stay married for their sake. Get the education you need for gainful employment, work hard, and avoid idleness. Go the extra mile for your employer or client. Be a patriot, ready to serve the country. Be neighborly, civic-minded, and charitable. Avoid coarse language in public. Be respectful of authority. Eschew substance abuse and crime.

These basic cultural precepts reigned from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s. They could be followed by people of all backgrounds and abilities, especially when backed up by almost universal endorsement. Adherence was a major contributor to the productivity, educational gains, and social coherence of that period.

Did everyone abide by those precepts? Of course not. There are always rebels — and hypocrites, those who publicly endorse the norms but transgress them. But as the saying goes, hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue. Even the deviants rarely disavowed or openly disparaged the prevailing expectations.

Paying the price for breakdown of the country's bourgeois culture - Philly

There were things about the 1950s that are better than today. We had a better culture, though merely saying so gets one branded a racist, sexist, and homophobe.

This column by two liberal college professors spell it out. Both have been ruthlessly attacked by the Left, for merely writing this column.

That culture laid out the script we all were supposed to follow: Get married before you have children and strive to stay married for their sake. Get the education you need for gainful employment, work hard, and avoid idleness. Go the extra mile for your employer or client. Be a patriot, ready to serve the country. Be neighborly, civic-minded, and charitable. Avoid coarse language in public. Be respectful of authority. Eschew substance abuse and crime.

These basic cultural precepts reigned from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s. They could be followed by people of all backgrounds and abilities, especially when backed up by almost universal endorsement. Adherence was a major contributor to the productivity, educational gains, and social coherence of that period.

Did everyone abide by those precepts? Of course not. There are always rebels — and hypocrites, those who publicly endorse the norms but transgress them. But as the saying goes, hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue. Even the deviants rarely disavowed or openly disparaged the prevailing expectations.

Some of those are excellent ways to live. However, the blind patriotism and the idea that going the extra mile will always be rewarded both fell when the business owners and the gov't authorities abused such notions.

I am all for patriotism and being ready to serve my country. But when the gov't uses that patriotism and willingness to serve badly, we should rebel against it. A prime example was Vietnam. The call to patriots and those who would serve, even unwillingly, was abused. Young American men died for their patriotism and willingness to serve. And for what? Some global McCarthyism?

As for respect for authority, that has also been abused. Countless times in the 1960s, peaceful protesters were violently opposed by authorities.

Some of those are excellent ways to live. However, the blind patriotism and the idea that going the extra mile will always be rewarded both fell when the business owners and the gov't authorities abused such notions.

I am all for patriotism and being ready to serve my country. But when the gov't uses that patriotism and willingness to serve badly, we should rebel against it. A prime example was Vietnam. The call to patriots and those who would serve, even unwillingly, was abused. Young American men died for their patriotism and willingness to serve. And for what? Some global McCarthyism?

As for respect for authority, that has also been abused. Countless times in the 1960s, peaceful protesters were violently opposed by authorities.
Well...you are arguing two different things. Culture vs government. I fully agree that our central government is corrupt and even criminal, in its actions. I definitely do not believe in patriotism to a criminal government. I love my country, but I hate it's government.

The cultural norms today are a far cry from what they were in the 50s. I don't think it can be argued successfully that today is better.

Unless you were a racial or religious minority, a woman, homosexual, casual drug user, or a communist.

So basically unless you were a freak or someone who refused to accept their place in Society. Not really sure that's a great argument against the 1950s.

Forum List

Back