Lies continue at VA Falsifying wait times

My treatment at the Salt Lake City VA and the outpatient branches in Lufkin and Tyler, Texas have been outstanding over the years. The treatment at Shreveport and Houston I would rate a C at best.

The wait times are largely influenced by the voluntary participation of doctors for whom the VA is not their primary source of income. The availability of these doctors is only somewhat predictable, as they must meet the primary demands of their main practices and hospitals. Because these doctors are not always available for the numbers of hours that are planned, the appointments often must be kicked back.

This is not the fault of anyone at the VA. They schedule appointments according to the plans and schedules that are in place, and have no control over other emergencies that their doctors must address.

The solution is not palatable: Hire more full-time doctors at VA facilities. But in order to attract and keep those doctors it would be necessary to pay salaries that would cause serious heartburn. They would have to be huge.

So we have what we have. And blaming VA executives may be gratifying to some, but it solves nothing and is an unjust attack on people who are doing the best possible job under the circumstances.

The wait times are largely influenced by the voluntary participation of doctors for whom the VA is not their primary source of income. The availability of these doctors is only somewhat predictable, as they must meet the primary demands of their main practices and hospitals. Because these doctors are not always available for the numbers of hours that are planned, the appointments often must be kicked back.

This is not the fault of anyone at the VA. They schedule appointments according to the plans and schedules that are in place, and have no control over other emergencies that their doctors must address.

The solution is not palatable: Hire more full-time doctors at VA facilities. But in order to attract and keep those doctors it would be necessary to pay salaries that would cause serious heartburn. They would have to be huge.

So we have what we have. And blaming VA executives may be gratifying to some, but it solves nothing and is an unjust attack on people who are doing the best possible job under the circumstances.

My opinion is to end the VA and incorporate the vets into Obamacare. If not that then make any Vet who served eligible to be seen by the VA. That would put more pressure on private insurers and would actually be competition where there is none.

I served 6 years and was honorably discharged and get nothing from the VA, I can't even get an id card saying I was a vet so I can get discounts offered to vets. Maybe means testing is fair but I am not sure why.

I took my father, who also relies on the VA for most of his medical problems, to a VA hospital in a major city. It took me approximately 45 minutes to drive to the hospital. It took me at least 25 minutes to find a parking place in the VA parking garage, which is pretty big. I thought we had plenty of time but turns out we were about right on time. But it didn't matter we waited an hour to be seen the first time and an hour for a follow-up. So we spent the good part of the afternoon getting an eye exam. They were very nice and said the reason was that two doctors called off. The eye department is usually the busiest. I see almost no difference between the VA and any other hospital, except the VA seems to be busier.

That said. We went to many eye doctors and had many eye exams about my Father's eye. Nothing helped so we went to the VA, and now I receive no complaints from him, they did what the private medical practices didn't they only threw new glasses at him. It turned out he only needed eye drops. (I think the VA got lucky)

The VA is included already in the ACA vetting of health insurance options.

Freewill still thinks that ACA is a system that manages and pays institutions and folks.

fw, if you want single payer, just say so instead of hinting.

Forum List

Back