Johnson Libertarian Town Hall on CNN - Wed - Aug 3

Discussion in 'Gary Johnson' started by flacaltenn, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,909
    I am happy enough with their stated positions, at least at this point. Confidence, though....I'd like them both to project a little more of that. Or maybe it isn't confidence but charisma. Johnson just seems a bit wishy-washy, which I think hurts no matter what policies he espouses. I haven't seen enough of Weld to say much about him.

As long as they have many of the core Libertarian beliefs, I think a few divergences that appeal to Dems or Repubs is a good thing, at least insofar as trying to get elected. I've seen quite a few people complain that they aren't 'real' Libertarians because of a particular position or two, and I always think, "So what?". They are a lot closer than any other presidential candidates I am aware of. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,876

You get the feeling that they ASKING to be Prez and not DEMANDING it like they are Entitled to it??

:banana: Maybe the humble manner of selling politicians as public servants will make a comeback?

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  3. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,909
    Hehe, that's not what I mean. Johnson doesn't really project a sense of strength or leadership. He may have good ideas, but personality is still an important factor in a presidential election.

Now, in this particular election, the major party candidates have all kinds of their own problems, including with personality, so maybe the LP can actually get some electoral votes (I'm not going to hold out hope for an actual win, much as I'd like to see it). If they could pull off a George Wallace and keep either of the major candidates from getting enough votes to be elected, leaving it up to the House to decide the president, that would be amazing. That might bring about some real change in US politics. Even just making enough noise might help get people to seriously consider third party candidates in the future.

Of course, I might have thought that would happen with Perot. :dunno:

I have long been fairly disgusted with the two party lock on US politics. I happen to agree with or at least am willing to accept many Libertarian ideals, so this ticket fits for me.

4. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,909
    I hadn't seen the last town hall on CNN, only the highlights, but now I've watched the entire thing.

I'll reiterate that Johnson just doesn't have a strong enough personality or charisma. Weld, for a good portion of the town hall, seemed like he would make a better presidential candidate. I don't mind Johnson being humble, but he's too quiet and hesitant in his answers. I thought he improved toward the end, though.

They definitely don't seem like 'hard-line' Libertarians. I suppose you might call them Libertarian-light. They both seem more willing to have government, federal government, involved in people's lives than I hear from libertarians. I also thought that Johnson saying they weren't isolationist, they just oppose regime change, is a bit different from many libertarians I've heard from; one of the problems I have with libertarianism is that it often does seem isolationist.

I still think that somewhat moderated ideology on their part is a positive. It might not be great to keep the Libertarian base, but I think it may allow them to appeal to more of the general population.

They seem like fairly reasonable men. They have strong pedigrees for the government jobs they have had. They need to get the 15% needed for the debates to give people more exposure to them as an option other than the crap the two major parties are trying to foist on us.