Liberals demand environment minister recall Kyoto delegation and resign

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I love it when the Liberals act so shocked and "appauled". Like they were actually making "progress" with Kyoto targets. Thank heavens for Industrial underdevelopment in Russia, those fines would have hurt. Oh, oh, we'll lose the respect of the UN. :laugh:

Liberals demand environment minister recall Kyoto delegation and resign

Published: Saturday, May 20, 2006

OTTAWA (CP) - The federal Liberals are demanding Environment Minister Rona Ambrose recall Canada's delegation from Bonn after they said she deliberately tried to "undermine" the Kyoto protocol.

And Opposition environment critic Scott Brison says Ambrose herself should resign as chair at the Conference of the Parties because of what he calls "her covert attempts to sabotage the development of a binding international consensus on global warming."

"This is not only outrageous, it is dangerously duplicitous," Brison said in a statement Saturday.

"Ms. Ambrose's actions risk irreparably damaging Canada's reputation at the United Nations and will compromise any progress at the Conference of the Parties."

Ambrose has reportedly instructed her delegation at the Kyoto talks that Canada no longer supports a "continuation of the status quo beyond 2012" and wants a new agreement that allows for "different types of commitments based on national circumstances."

A spokesman for Ambrose suggested the Liberals are on shaky ground because greenhouse gas emissions rose 35 per cent over Canada's Kyoto target during their tenure.

"Under our new government, Canada will be a leader on the global dialogue on greenhouse gas emissions," said Ryan Sparrow. "We will also work to develop a made-in-Canada plan to clean up our environment at home."

Only 19 of 38 Kyoto signatories have reported "demonstrated progress" in achieving their emission-reduction targets, Ambrose's office said.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay, in Nova Scotia on Saturday to stump for the Conservatives ahead of next month's provincial election, insisted Ottawa is committed to addressing greenhouse gases.

"This isn't about abandoning Kyoto, this is about reducing greenhouse gas emissions and doing what the Liberals failed to do," said MacKay.

"Putting words and signatures on a piece of paper mean nothing if you're not going about doing the actual work to reduce greenhouse gas. Rona Ambrose and her department are doing just that."

MacKay said that the United States has had success in reducing greenhouse gases without signing onto Kyoto.

"It proves that there's no magic solution (through) just having your name on the Kyoto accord," said MacKay.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Friday that his government is interested in the Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate, which has no fixed emission targets or mandatory commitments.

Environmentalist Elizabeth May said that the minority Tories are trying to do too much for a government elected with only 36 per cent of the national vote. She called their environmental strategy "an appalling betrayal of Canadians."

May, a Green Party leadership candidate, said the Asia Pacific partnership has "nothing to do with emissions reduction; it has everything to do with public relations and propaganda."
Continued

A spokesman for Ambrose suggested the Liberals are on shaky ground because greenhouse gas emissions rose 35 per cent over Canada's Kyoto target during their tenure.

"Kyoto this" says Harpersan.
lmao.gif

master_harper.jpg

As you can see, he has Kung Foo grip on Kyoto Protocol.

Diuretic said:
Well the next election - or a question of confidence in the Commons - should sort out whether or not the tories are accepted by Canadians.

Hmmm. After consulting my Magic 8 Ball, you should know that "All signs point to no". :laugh:

It all depends on who heads the Liberals. THey have to pick VERY carefully. We could wind up with an NDP government. :shocked: :cuckoo: :bang3:

I only gave the tories on term. I mean Harper had to re-invent himself to be acceptable to Canadians (you're a tough room for a politician). NDP? I don't know if sufficient people trust Jack Layton yet. And the NDP is very much about Jack.

But they have Manitoba and Sask on the provincial level and they may yet win BC. They own TO of course. Perhaps if the Tories fail and the electorate hasn't yet forgiven the Grits then they might back Jack to see if he can make it work. But I suppose the NDP would have to work with the BQ though.

Diuretic said:
I only gave the tories on term. I mean Harper had to re-invent himself to be acceptable to Canadians (you're a tough room for a politician). NDP? I don't know if sufficient people trust Jack Layton yet. And the NDP is very much about Jack.

But they have Manitoba and Sask on the provincial level and they may yet win BC. They own TO of course. Perhaps if the Tories fail and the electorate hasn't yet forgiven the Grits then they might back Jack to see if he can make it work. But I suppose the NDP would have to work with the BQ though.

Layton, the midget. If that ever happens I'm leaving Canada. Broadbent could have taken it, but he retired. I could live with Ed Broadbent for PM, with a Conservative majority.

Honestly, in light of National Childcare, Afghanistan, Kyoto, scrapped debate on potential new weed legislation(s), limits put on the press' access to MP's outside the house of commons and a host of other things, I think people are starting to forgive the Liberals. Harper is probably interviewing body guards about now. Not that the Liberals would act on any of the above, either. :laugh:

Said1 said:
Layton, the midget. If that ever happens I'm leaving Canada. Broadbent could have taken it, but he retired. I could live with Ed Broadbent for PM, with a Conservative majority.

Honestly, in light of National Childcare, Afghanistan, Kyoto, scrapped debate on potential new weed legislation(s), limits put on the press' access to MP's outside the house of commons and a host of other things, I think people are starting to forgive the Liberals. Harper is probably interviewing body guards about now. Not that the Liberals would act on any of the above, either. :laugh:

Watch Ignatieff. He didn't come back to stay in opposition as a grunt. I think apart from Alberta Canadians are not going to take to that sort of behaviour from Harper.

However he can't be all bad, he was really cut up when the family cat got run over.

Seriously - he won't be able to help himself. He's slipping back into his old ways already. By the next election I think the Liberals will be back IF they can keep their heads and pursue decent policy and cut out the crap. They were given a slap at the last election, sent to the bad behaviour chair for a while to cool off. The Tories weren't elected, they fell in by default. I'm just hoping Harper forgets that :halo:

Diuretic said:
Watch Ignatieff. He didn't come back to stay in opposition as a grunt. I think apart from Alberta Canadians are not going to take to that sort of behaviour from Harper.

I don't know about him, Bob "I was premier during a recession, it's not my fault Rae" seems popular - at least the last time his name came up it was. I hope Belinda gets banned from politics altogether.

The Tories weren't elected, they fell in by default. I'm just hoping Harper forgets that :halo:

No doubt. The Accidental Prime Minister.

@Emmet

*Shudder*

Diuretic said:
Stronach? She just changed her mind that's all :)

I now think the race will be between Brisson and Ignatief. I think Brisson will get it.

I thought Peter McKay had a good chance of taking the Conservative leadership right about now, but Harper pulled off an election. I like McKay a lot better than Harper.

Harper is looking for differentiation. He's going to take a gamble and mark himself out as very different from Martin or Chretien and of course the Conservatives from the Liberals.

The leadership question for the Liberals is very important, parliamentary politics is now more presidential than ever, the figurehead has to be politically attractive in his or her right.

Diuretic said:
Harper is looking for differentiation. He's going to take a gamble and mark himself out as very different from Martin or Chretien and of course the Conservatives from the Liberals.

It's my opinion that that was the basic premis of his campaigne, until the debates when he started telling voters about his "plans" about how he would do things different from the Liberals.

The leadership question for the Liberals is very important, parliamentary politics is now more presidential than ever, the figurehead has to be politically attractive in his or her right.

This has always been the Liberal way, as it is with the others also.

Forum List

Back