Let's make commercials more expensive.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Supposn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Supposn

Supposn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Let's make commercials more expensive.

I'm a proponent for the tasks of selling, distributing, or purchasing electronic transmission time be “unbundled” from all other commercial tasks, and no reduction of taxable income should be granted for purchase of time or use of electronic transmissions.
    [There's a precedent for such “unbundling”. U.S. Federal court required the International Business Machine Corporation to “unbundle” the sale or lease of their equipment from all of their other goods and service products].

This proposal would consequentially increase sales of print media's advertisements to the detriment of enterprises now selling advertisements transmitted electronically and to some extent may also increase TV cable and satellite prices.

Even wealthier shareholders will no longer appreciate their enterprises' electronic advertisements with substantially political purposes.
    It will reduce wealth's ability to influence those who read less, and not likely increase their influence upon those who read more.

Respectfully, Supposn

2. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,177
    Reduce the wealthy's ability, and complete destroy the poor's chance of doing anything, ever. Bad idea.

3. Toddsterpatriot

Toddsterpatriot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,594
    no reduction of taxable income should be granted for purchase of time or use of electronic transmissions.

Kind of like how Clinton made executive salary over $1,000,000 non-deductible?

How'd that work out?

It will reduce wealth's ability to influence those who read less,

And why do we want to do that?

4. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,771
    Heil!

5. Supposn

Supposn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    FrigidWeirdo, I suppose you could expand upon your post and better explain your point, or maybe you really couldn't. Respectfully, Supposn

6. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,177
    I thought I wrote what I wrote clearly and concisely.

If you want it in more words, I can do that.

The rich have a lot of money. The poor don't have much money.

If you make a car and sell it for $10,000, poor people will be able to buy it, and rich people will be able to buy millions of these cars.

If you make a car and sell it for $1 million, poor people will not be able to afford this car, rich people will.

So, if you make advertising expensive, then the poor people won't be able to afford it, and the rich will.

7. Supposn

Supposn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    FrigidWeirdo, when was the last time you saw a Bodega commercial during the broadcast of a worlds series or a football regional championship game?

There's no general relationship between the unit prices of products and the reduction of taxable income due to purchasing electronically transmitted advertisements.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,177
    Well, seeing as I don't watch TV, let alone baseball or football, I'd say never, but that doesn't mean anything.

Does it matter if there's no general relationship between unit price and product and anything else?

9. Supposn

Supposn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Toddsterpatriot, the cap of tax-deductible salary, which Bill Clinton proposed as a $1 million per year, was passed with the loop holes of not being applicable to performance incentives or exceeding specified goals. Surprise! Executive can exceed their company's friendly board of directors set goals or expected performance standards. Why would we expect otherwise?

I'm not particularly troubled by disparity of incomes. My concern is USA's federal minimum and median wages' purchasing powers lack of real improvements over the decades, and our chronic great annual trade deficits of goods in the last half-century.
    We don't know how the deductible cap of a million dollar would have performed if it had been simply passed with no loopholes. I don't see how it would have made much difference, but it would not have harmed us. I never believed that income disparity was a problem.
    Wealth's ability to buy elections is a problem.
    Why wouldn't we want to do that?
    Respectfully, Supposn

10. Toddsterpatriot

Toddsterpatriot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,594
    Wealth's ability to buy elections is a problem.

Too much freedom going on around here.

Why wouldn't we want to do that?

Because government interference in things that it shouldn't touch never has negative consequences. Durr.