lets discuss some misconceptions about al qaeda, different taliban groups, etc

LOL. what do you say to historians then? I have to think your post is trolling

Are you a historian?

I think most people are to some extent. I know quite a bit about ancient greece and surrounding areas but I didn't have to live there to learn about it. same thing for the middle east

Then how do you expect to understand or attempt to understand their thought process?

Lonestarlogic
In Saudi I witnessed amputations, beheadings, caning and stoning and oddly the atmosphere was celebratory as if it was the fourth of July or something. It was really bizarre and disturbing.

Why would you stick around and watch that stuff? Is it a Texas thing?

The events took place in the town square, hard to escape it, but I didn't gawk. Slaughtering of humans isn't an event that I particularly enjoy. One thing about that region, it's easy to distinguish the thieves from the adulterers.

Cool someone who knows the answers do tell please.

Any answer you get on what these groups thoughts are, would be speculation. Having lived in the region for a short time I can tell you that the people wants to be more like the west, but the leadership has these people under such control that they're afraid to speak out. In Saudi I witnessed amputations, beheadings, caning and stoning and oddly the atmosphere was celebratory as if it was the fourth of July or something. It was really bizarre and disturbing.

you really think this stuff isn't written about outside the country?

Written about yes, but not to the extent that being there provides.

Any answer you get on what these groups thoughts are, would be speculation. Having lived in the region for a short time I can tell you that the people wants to be more like the west, but the leadership has these people under such control that they're afraid to speak out. In Saudi I witnessed amputations, beheadings, caning and stoning and oddly the atmosphere was celebratory as if it was the fourth of July or something. It was really bizarre and disturbing.

But you didn't live in the region. You lived in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. That is not the same region as Afghanistan. Huge differences in culture and language and just about everything. I've been to and worked with people from much of the Middle East and also Afganistan/Pakistan. You really can't compare them. Even in Afghanistan itself, there are large differences between the multiple ethno-linguistic groups.

But you didn't live in the region. You lived in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. That is not the same region as Afghanistan. Huge differences in culture and language and just about everything. I've been to and worked with people from much of the Middle East and also Afganistan/Pakistan. You really can't compare them. Even in Afghanistan itself, there are large differences between the multiple ethno-linguistic groups.

So what are your answers to the OP questions?
I really want to know.

Sure you can, it's not much differernt from folks in the US and folks in Canada. Sharia law is law of the land in each of the countries you mentioned.

I don't want to give anything away, taint anyone's answers, or ruin the chance to learn something, so I will let some people answer before responding. With that said...

1) what is your understanding of both the pakistan & afghan taliban? one lives in Afghaniland and one lives in Pakistan
2) what was their relationship leading up to 9/11 and what is now? NONE
3) What did either/any taliban have to do with 9/11, if anything? Nothing at all
4) what are the taliban's international goals? None whatsoever
5) what is each taliban's relationship with al qaeda both in their own countries and abroad? They're Muslim
6) what is the taliban's thoughts relationship with iran? None
7) what is al qaedas thoughts and relationship with iran? They don't care for the dictatorship aspect of Iran. Muslims love freedom
8) would either group take assitance from iran if offered? Hey.They need all the help they can get
9) what is each group's connection to saudi arabi? Al queda is finance by the Saudis. The Taliban is financed by the heroin use in the US and UK
10) what is each group's connection to irsael? They would rather it didn't exist. So soes the rest of the world , other than US UK and the queen and Pope tag team that controls both

I am hoping to get some good answers to either some or all of the questions. I think it could go along way to get a bunch of information out not normally talked about in great detail or in stand alone form.

Next ? :tongue:

Muslims "love" freedom? Is that a comedy routine?

al Qaeda is Sunni
Iran is Shiite
Deadly enemies because their religious faction are headed by a different son of Mohamed.

Bin Laden and Saddam were deadly enemies because Bin Laden wanted to lead a coalition to drive Saddam out of Kuwait but the other Arab nations turned to the US. Which is why Bin Laden hates the US. The US still did the right thing. We can't help it if Bin Laden is a "mad dog". Too bad Bush said, "I don't think about him anymore".

The Iranian Government is a religious based government that allows democratic elections with politicians approved by the clergy. Can you think of another nation whose right approves of that type of government? Only Christian instead of Islam?

al Qaeda is a threat to the Saudis. They are not financed by them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure you can, it's not much differernt from folks in the US and folks in Canada. Sharia law is law of the land in each of the countries you mentioned.

But it's not. Pashtunwali is what rules the Pashtun tribes. Sharia is an add on and really not as important. And remember too, that Pashtu, Dari, Tadjik, Baluchi speakers don't and cannot understand the Koran in the same way as native Arab speakers. Even the imans in Afghanistan rarely have more than rote memorization of the Koran.

US and Canada share the same language and basic common culture. Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan have different languages, different cultures (especially considering the multiple ethnic groups in Aghanistan).

But it's not. Pashtunwali is what rules the Pashtun tribes. Sharia is an add on and really not as important. And remember too, that Pashtu, Dari, Tadjik, Baluchi speakers don't and cannot understand the Koran in the same way as native Arab speakers. Even the imans in Afghanistan rarely have more than rote memorization of the Koran.

US and Canada share the same language and basic common culture. Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan have different languages, different cultures (especially considering the multiple ethnic groups in Aghanistan).

You raise some good points, but Pashtunwali and Sharia law has always been blurred for the Pashtuns. Taliban punishments were in fact drawn largely from Pashtunwali rather than the Sharia, but Pashtunwali was practiced in varying degrees, to a lesser or greater extent across the Pashtun belt and it certainly did not govern the practices of other ethnic groups. The fact that the Taliban were determined to impose Pashunwali-Sharia law on these ethnic groups by force only deepened the ethnic divide in the country.

I don't want to give anything away, taint anyone's answers, or ruin the chance to learn something, so I will let some people answer before responding. With that said...

1) what is your understanding of both the pakistan & afghan taliban? That they share the same goals
2) what was their relationship leading up to 9/11 and what is now? They were only dating but now co-habitate
3) What did either/any taliban have to do with 9/11, if anything? Depends
4) what are the taliban's international goals? To move into the cities
5) what is each taliban's relationship with al qaeda both in their own countries and abroad? They decided to just be friends
6) what is the taliban's thoughts relationship with iran? They think that Iran is to fat for them to love
7) what is al qaedas thoughts and relationship with iran? They think Iran is too anorexic to love
8) would either group take assitance from iran if offered? Threesomes are against their religion
9) what is each group's connection to saudi arabi? Think evil step-sister
10) what is each group's connection to irsael? Think evil step-mother

I am hoping to get some good answers to either some or all of the questions. I think it could go along way to get a bunch of information out not normally talked about in great detail or in stand alone form.

:lol:

1) what is your understanding of both the pakistan & afghan taliban? That they share the same goals
2) what was their relationship leading up to 9/11 and what is now? They were only dating but now co-habitate
5) what is each taliban's relationship with al qaeda both in their own countries and abroad? They decided to just be friends
6) what is the taliban's thoughts relationship with iran? They think that Iran is to fat for them to love
7) what is al qaedas thoughts and relationship with iran? They think Iran is too anorexic to love
8) would either group take assitance from iran if offered? Threesomes are against their religion

he quoted me but put his own answers. I originally only posted the questions :/

My answers are in red.....Or are you color blind? I can change the color if you can't see red.

As did a few others.

I have been waiting for my ME education all day

As did a few others.

there have been a couple good serioues answers from rightwinger, lonestar_logic, and pinqy. if you really want to learn just start looking stuff up and reading online, it is impossible to give you full background in posts like this.

My answers are in red.....Or are you color blind? I can change the color if you can't see red.

I see now, not that your answers were serious
The questions you ask would require an academic paper of no less then 25 pages. It might be better and you'd get more people ready to discuss it if you broke it down to just one topic a day on that.

I just don't have the time right now to answer all of that.

I see now, not that your answers were serious
The questions you ask would require an academic paper of no less then 25 pages. It might be better and you'd get more people ready to discuss it if you broke it down to just one topic a day on that.

I just don't have the time right now to answer all of that.

I was sort of hinting towards one topic that people familiar with current events in the region involving the usa would get. rightwinger and pinqy latched on. if someone wanted to write 25 pages though I would love to read them and discuss :p

As did a few others.

there have been a couple good serioues answers from rightwinger, lonestar_logic, and pinqy. if you really want to learn just start looking stuff up and reading online, it is impossible to give you full background in posts like this.

Tease

1) what is your understanding of both the pakistan & afghan taliban?
The Taliban in Afghanistan rose to power in the midst of Afghanistan's period of civil strife in the early 1990's. "Mullah" Mohammed Omar led a small group of armed students (taliban in Pashto) against local warlords; the movement grew and initially enjoyed popular and international support due to its harsh crackdown on criminal warlords and its introduction of what could loosely be described as order. The newly-established government espoused a repressive ideology that had little true basis in Islam (few of the movement's leaders had any substantial amount of formal religious instruction) and un-Islamic bans were introduced on practices ranging from kite-flying to dancing to the education of women. If by "pakistan taliban" you mean the Pakistani Tehrik-i-Taliban, they're a newer movement led by Baitullah Mehsud that has been engaged in insurgent activities against the Pakistani government. An alliance of sorts was forged between this group and Mohammed Omar's Taliban, now based in Pakistan, fairly recently.

2) what was their relationship leading up to 9/11 and what is now?
The Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan did not exist before 9/11. Their current relationship is as I described above.

3) What did either/any taliban have to do with 9/11, if anything?
Usama bin Ladin relocated to Afghanistan after attempts were made to apprehend him in Sudan. His decision to provide a number of troops for Mohammed Omar when the Taliban were slaughtering the Hazara solidified the initially shaky relationship between the two men and their respective movements. After 9/11, Afghanistan refused to extradite Usama bin Ladin unconditionally, asking that evidence of his involvement in the attacks be presented and that he be tried according to Islamic law if turned over. These offers were turned down and America began its bombing campaign in Afghanistan with ground support from the United Islamic Front for the Salvation of Northern Afghanistan.

4) what are the taliban's international goals?
The Taliban concern themselves almost exclusively with Afghanistan. Their interest in foreigners was, for the most part, limited to the illegal drug trade.

5) what is each taliban's relationship with al qaeda both in their own countries and abroad?
Al-Qa'idah was formed in Pakistan after a meeting between Usama bin Ladin, Egyptian Islamic Jihad, and Abdullah Azzam. Usama bin Ladin had fought beside those who would become the Taliban during the jihad against the Soviet occupiers. Abdullah Azzam had provided ideological support to the resistance in Afghanistan. By now, the relationship is non-existent and few traces of al-Qa'idah remain in Afghanistan. As mentioned, the Taliban had previously allowed them to base themselves in Afghanistan.

6) what is the taliban's thoughts relationship with iran?
In one incident, the Taliban killed a dozen or so Iranian diplomats in Afghanistan, which sent Iran into an uproar. Hundreds of thousands of Iranian troops were mobilized, but nothing of significance ended up happening. Iran provided funding for the United Islamic Front when they fought the Taliban in the Afghan Civil War.

7) what is al qaedas thoughts and relationship with iran?
Al-Qa'idah is a takfiri organization that views Shi'ites as non-Muslims and most other Muslims as "heretics." Shi'ites are regarded as one of al-Qa'idah's enemies.

8) would either group take assitance from iran if offered?
Probably. Both groups are ideologically inconsistent and insincere in their beliefs, so they'd most likely accept assistance from anyone, even an "enemy."

9) what is each group's connection to saudi arabi?
Usama bin Ladin's family is part of what can be considered the Saudi aristocracy. Usama bin Ladin was educated in Saudi Arabia and returned there for a period of time after his participation in the jihad in Afghanistan, leaving after his offer to assist the Saudi government in repelling Saddam Hussein's incursion into Kuwait was rejected in favor of assistance from America. America's presence in the Arabian peninsula at the behest of the Saudi government led bin Ladin to regard Saudi Arabia as an enemy. Saudi Arabia, along with Pakistan and the UAE, was one of only three countries to recognize the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. They provided the Taliban with a substantial amount of financial assistance until relations between the two countries soured, culminating in the expulsion of a Taliban envoy from Saudi Arabia after the Taliban reportedly insulted Saudi royalty.

10) what is each group's connection to irsael?
Al-Qa'idah views Israel as one of its principle enemies and its destruction as a major goals. America's support for Israel has consistently been cited as one of the primary motivations behind the 9/11 attacks. Their actual involvement in Palestine has been virtually nonexistant, however, as they and Hamas see each other as enemies due to significant ideological differences and Hamas's relationship with the Muslim Brotherhood. The Taliban have virtually no real interest in Israel.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: blu

Forum List

Back