Lets be frivalous for a moment...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Johnney, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031226/ap_on_re_us/toddler_s_claim_1

STAMFORD, Conn. - A 2-year-old model and actor who cut his head at a playground is seeking unspecified lost wages and other compensation from the city.

Konrad Mader of Greenwich was running toward a treehouse at a playground Nov. 4 when he crashed into a railing, according to a claim filed last week by his mother and reported Friday by The Advocate of Stamford. The blond toddler received several stitches.

Deena Mader, the boy's mother, did not specify how much she is seeking on behalf of her son.

In a letter to officials, she demanded compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering and a "lost wage amount due to his inability to audition or take modeling or commercial jobs while his head heals."

Mader blamed the boy's injury on a green railing, which she said blends in with the landscaping. Mader said the railing should be painted a brighter color.

"This accident was preventable had the railings and safety measures been correct at this park, " Mader wrote in her claim.

Tom Cassone, the city's director of legal affairs, said his office is investigating the claim.

Joe Falzone, a facilities manager in charge of maintaining city parks, said he is not aware of defects in the playground and there are no plans to make changes.

are you fucking kidding me!?!

2. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yet another stupid, litigious parent who should face child abuse charges if she pursues this claim. Not that I normally advocate child abuse charges for parents whose kids get injured, let's face it, kids DO GET INJURED!!!!! But if she is going to claim that the park was unsafe, the flip side of that coin is that she should be to blame for letting her kid play in an unsafe park!

Stupid bimbo.

3. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i was thinking along the same lines. i dont know how long that park has been there or what its current state is, but come on. if your taking your kids to it, especially if he/ she has some type of acting or modeling background, you may want to check it out and see if its safe.
    but you know this is America

4. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The only way there is a case here is if a reasonable person would not have seen the railing. My guess is there is no case. Mom wasn't paying attention and wants the city to pay for her screw-up.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Let me come in with a devil's advocate argument...

When I was about 9, I was playing in a playground outside of my cousin's apartment commplex in Phoenix. They had one of those really big playsets with a bridge that connected the two sides - the kind of bridge with boards that dangeld down, held up by chains, making it wobbly and fun to go across. Anyway, I was chasing my cousin, and he ducked under this bridge. So I ducked under, and came up a little too soon, and damn near impaled my skull on a 3-inch bolt that was sticking out of the bottom of this bridge. The boards of this bridge - every last one of them - were bolted together with these things, making that bridge extremely unsafe. I still have a small scar on my head from that.

My point is that, while this claim does seem really frivolous, not all playgrounds are 100% "kidproof."

6. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This tells me something already. Hey lets pimp out our child for money, and if that does not work, hell we can always sue !:rolleyes:

7. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Originally posted by gop_jeff
    My point is that, while this claim does seem really frivolous, not all playgrounds are 100% "kidproof."
    At my old elementary school when I was a kid we had one of those lumber fort-like playsets. Except it was homemade by some parents. There was this one part about twelve feet off the ground where was absolutely no railing. I guess there was supposed to be a slide or something but they must have run out of money. We'd spend the whole recess jumping off that platform and rolling down the hill. If you hit the ground chest first it would knock the wind out of you. Man that was some fun. Anyway some weakling came along and got injured, and they took the whole thing down, cry, cry, cry. :thup:

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    but the thing is, if her kids is some kind of cash cow... why wasnt she paying more attention to him?
    your never going to child proof a play ground 100%. there has to be some type of parental monitoring some place.

9. injury

injury Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Another example why I think we should get a loser pays legal system in this country. Basically I imagine this will be settled out of court with the tax payers' money going to pay for this mother to drive a new lexus.

I thought all children were supposed to be supervised on playgrounds anyways...where was this mothers eyes? Did she not walk around the playground first before letting her color blind child loose on it? Was this a real tree camo style beam?

All the green park paint I've seen everywhere doesn't blend in with anything except a gright green crayon. Not to mention having happened on Nov. 4 in Conn...isn't all the green stuff dead for the winter by then?

10. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Although I agree with the sentiment that not all playgrounds are 100% kidproof, let's face it, life isn't ever going to be 100% kidproof. What right does she have to get money from taxpayers because her son can't go on auditions? That's ridiculous. If she were so concerned for her child's safety and she thinks the park was such a danger, she should not have left him unsupervised. And, yes, he was obviously unsupervised if she wasn't in arm's reach of him and he could hit his head hard enough on a bar to do so much damage- NO 2 year old should have been allowed to play on equipment. There isn't a playset in this world on which you can guarantee the safety of a 2 year old.

She's a moron twice, once for abrogating her parental resopnsibility to the "town" and allowing him to be injured and twice for suing because of his injury.