let me defend the drug companies for a second, my friends

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
first, a drug that starts off expensive won’t necessarily stay expensive. Consider Sovaldi, Gilead’s cure for hepatitis C, which made a splash with its $84,000 price tag. Gilead has progressively cut the price over the past five years and is poised to release a $24,000 generic alternative this month. Second, few patients pay the list price once insurance comes into play. Third, many expensive drugs will save patients from even greater expenses down the line: It may cost $24,000 to cure hepatitis C, but it costs $577,000 to get a liver transplant.

All that said, these drugs are still expensive, which is why we need a plan that focuses on reducing patients’ financial burdens, not punishing the drug industry.

The first step is to increase competition. Gilead didn’t just lower the price of Sovaldi on a whim, it did so because rival companies introduced competitor drugs, and they didn’t want to be edged out of the market. The more competitor and generic drugs on the market, the lower prices will be across the board.

All that said, these drugs are still expensive, which is why we need a plan that focuses on reducing patients’ financial burdens, not punishing the drug industry.

seriously.....the pharamcabal Basque?

the freakin' columbian cartels are pikers next to 'em.....

~S~

• Banned

~S~
i'll have you know i put a lot of work and research into my post.

~S~
i'll have you know i put a lot of work and research into my post.

and i'll let you know i was a minion of the HC system for 3 decades

~S~

Forum List

Back