Lesser Known Bush Foreign Policy Successes

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I post this here because these have less to do with the WOT or Politics than it does with global issues.

I've been thinking about Pres. Bush's record on foreign policy. While unhappy with needless coddling of China and Russia, along with several despicable human rights violators (Turkemenstan, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Pakistan), I am quite pleased with Pres. Bush's leadership beyond the immediate sector of the WOT.

Pres. Bush unveiled the Millenium Challenge Account, a revolutionary new way of providing foreign assistance. In revamping and cleaning up the troubled foreign aid experience, Pres. Bush has created a new system that weighs a government's political, social and economic freedom in deciding whether or not to provide specialized assistance to that government. This ensures far fewer dicatorships and oppressive governments will recieve US aid, and will help promote better, more fair governance with less corruption on the part of nations wishing assistance and cooperation from America. Bravo Pres. Bush

Pres. Bush has also pushed the US to the forefront of the struggle to halt human trafficking, the 21st century slave trade. The enslavement of innocents for sex, industrial and farm work and other hard labor is a nightmarish evil that affects millions every year around the world. A great number of these victims are women and children. Pres. Bush has committed US law enforcement to fighting this great crime on a wider and more substantial scale than in the past, as well as raising the penalties for those caught commiting such heinous acts. Millions more are being spent to assist trafficking victims and help provide them with a better future.
Bravo Pres. Bush

Pres. Bush has commited 15 billion dollars to fighting AIDS worldwide. While not the amount the US should give, it is a very healthy start to a new era in the war against AIDS. Even more remarkable, Pres. Bush offered this amount in a White House culture of indifference in regards to global AIDS (clinton, his father and reagan did jack for AIDS overseas). He bucked the trend and is giving hope to milions around the world.
Bravo Pres. Bush

That’s the way we need to lead the world, open up their societies, their markets, promote capitalism, and no longer support dictatorships. I would like to see a policy in place, similar to what the business world has done with ISO 9000. Set a level of standard for nations to achieve, if they do not achieve or maintain these standards, then all other nations who do should no longer trade with the non-ISO nations.

Forum List

Back