Legislating Morality

The definition of morality is extremely relevant, especially as it relates to ethics. Do we legislate morality or do we legislate ethics?

I might quibble, do we elect those that will vote for legislation that reflects OURs or THEIR morality/ethics? If we claim to, on what do we base that? Which ethics/morals?

I might quibble, do we elect those that will vote for legislation that reflects OURs or THEIR morality/ethics? If we claim to, on what do we base that? Which ethics/morals?

According to the definition of moral, a moral can be probable though not proved. So forcing one's moral's on another could be looked upon on as stupidity, perhaps?

According to the definition of moral, a moral can be probable though not proved. So forcing one's moral's on another could be looked upon on as stupidity, perhaps?

Perhaps, or brilliance?

It's a nice article as a whole, but I have a problem with anyone who calls the ACLU communists.

I'm a supporter of the ACLU and the people who object to it are the very people it was formed to oppose.

Of course you can legislate morality. That's what legislation is supposed to be, the enforcement of morality.

In practical terms though, governments should not bother with immoral actions which don't violate the property rights of another person.

This is the great fear that many liberals have. What they can't understand is that no one can FORCE them to accept religious beliefs. Just because morals or ethics overlap religious convictions doesn't mean that they are being FORCED on the population. If they would set aside their fear of mind control, they might find that religious morals are HELPFUL, whether or not the liberals, personally, accept a relationship with God.

And I'll wager that you wouldn't find the imposition of Muslim morals on you as HELPFUL, whether or not you accepted a relationship with Allah. I'll also wager that someone's going to argue that the imposition of Christian morals and the imposition of Muslim morals are two totally different things. :poke:

Of course you can legislate morality. That's what legislation is supposed to be, the enforcement of morality.

Right. "Morality" is the whole point of laws.

But it's probably true that there's usually a disconnect between personal moral instincts and the law. You could easily have a society without written laws that still follows customs and conventions. And you could easily have a society with millions of pages of written laws that's sliding into the crapper because nobody gives a damn anymore.

Guess which one describes our country?

I think legislating morality is a great idea--only problem is that people without a conscience don't think morality applies to them.

There's always an element of society, that does think rules don't apply, or they are somehow above the fray?
My problem with government not legislating morality is that when it caves in and scantions something those same people who don't wish to follow law see it as an endorsement for anything goes..For example abortion.

And I'll wager that you wouldn't find the imposition of Muslim morals on you as HELPFUL, whether or not you accepted a relationship with Allah. I'll also wager that someone's going to argue that the imposition of Christian morals and the imposition of Muslim morals are two totally different things. :poke:

Good point. I always get a chuckle at Christians who want prayer in the public schools because it's only Christian prayer they want. Let some Wiccan or a Satanist try it and they'd scream bloody murder.

Good point. I always get a chuckle at Christians who want prayer in the public schools because it's only Christian prayer they want. Let some Wiccan or a Satanist try it and they'd scream bloody murder.

That's not really a true statement. I don't think anyone other than satanists would want that kind of "worship" in schools, however most christians I know would welcome tolerance of all prayer including all representations of all religons in town squares during the holiday season. Frankly school led prayer is not the agenda of christians other than the real zealot christians. The problem is schools.. with the encouragement or arm twisting of the ACLU, going in the complete opposite direction, banning any moment of silence, religious christmas songs, or anything that even remotely resembles christianity, add to that some schools will allow a t-shirt with a pentagram, while disallowing a t-shirt with an image of Christ on it.. Common sense tells me when you push people like that, there will be an innevitable and understandable backlash. People will fight for their religious freedoms, just as other groups fight for their causes...

That's not really a true statement. I don't think anyone other than satanists would want that kind of "worship" in schools, however most christians I know would welcome tolerance of all prayer including all representations of all religons in town squares during the holiday season. Frankly school led prayer is not the agenda of christians other than the real zealot christians. The problem is schools.. with the encouragement or arm twisting of the ACLU, going in the complete opposite direction, banning any moment of silence, religious christmas songs, or anything that even remotely resembles christianity, add to that some schools will allow a t-shirt with a pentagram, while disallowing a t-shirt with an image of Christ on it.. Common sense tells me when you push people like that, there will be an innevitable and understandable backlash. People will fight for their religious freedoms, just as other groups fight for their causes...

The ACLU protects all our rights.

Religious freedom does not include the right to inflict your beliefs on others. And there is no more captive audience than kids who attend public schools. You, as a Christian, have no more right to spread your doctrine to my kid than a satanist does, and if your child can't go 6 hours without thinking about whatever religion you've taught them, they do not belong in a public school to begin with.

There is nothing stopping any religious person from putting their kid in a private school where they can be sure their little minds will be further brainwashed by whatever nonsense they choose to believe. If money is an issue, then too bad. Get a better job to pay for it. Or use a credit card. That's what I'm doing. I'll pay for it somehow.

The ACLU protects all our rights.

Religious freedom does not include the right to inflict your beliefs on others. And there is no more captive audience than kids who attend public schools. You, as a Christian, have no more right to spread your doctrine to my kid than a satanist does, and if your child can't go 6 hours without thinking about whatever religion you've taught them, they do not belong in a public school to begin with.

There is nothing stopping any religious person from putting their kid in a private school where they can be sure their little minds will be further brainwashed by whatever nonsense they choose to believe. If money is an issue, then too bad. Get a better job to pay for it. Or use a credit card. That's what I'm doing. I'll pay for it somehow.

Garbage----are you pissed off that you were abused by the clergy or pissed off that you weren't?

To which Christian morals are you opposed? Which Christian morals if legislated into secular laws would cause death to unbelievers?

I have no problem with peaceful prayer, as long as the rule is applied equally to all religions. I know no other fellow Christians who would disagree with my statement.

To which Christian morals are you opposed? Which Christian morals if legislated into secular laws would cause death to unbelievers?

It has to cause death to be objetionable? How about not just for unbelievers, but for people who believe differently than you?

Relgion is a private, not governmental matter and my child shouldn't be brainwashed because you think everyone but you is going to hell. Religion doesn't belong in school, unless you choose to send your child to a parochial school. Religion never belongs being fostered by government.

You like when Muslims think all infidels should be converted? I feel the same way about that as I feel about Christians who think my boy is going to hell.

It has to cause death to be objetionable? How about not just for unbelievers, but for people who believe differently than you?
He was comparing Christianity to Islam. This is a major difference between the two.

Relgion is a private, not governmental matter and my child shouldn't be brainwashed because you think everyone but you is going to hell. Religion doesn't belong in school, unless you choose to send your child to a parochial school. Religion never belongs being fostered by government.

You like when Muslims think all infidels should be converted? I feel the same way about that as I feel about Christians who think my boy is going to hell.

Government should NOT dictate which religion is practiced. However, government should step aside and allow the free practice of peaceful religion, even if it's (gasp!) Christianity.

That's a fair question. Why don't you list the morals that you think need to be added to our legal system and I will tell you which ones I object to.

Forum List

Back