legal gun owner escapes anti gun extremist felony trap because of Gov. Pardon....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
the anti gun extremists thought they had one...they thought their red tape and paperwork crap had caught a legal gun owner and they were going to be able to destroy his life...and icing on the cake, he was a military Veteran...and they really hate those guys...

But...he escaped....Chris Christie...because of the election, pardoned him....

Chris Christie Pardons Marine Arrested for Lawfully Purchased Handgun - Breitbart

On September 6, U.S. Marine Joshua Velez visited his brother in New Bergen, New Jersey, and was arrested for possession of a lawfully purchased 9mm handgun and hollow-point bullets.
Velez lives in Davers, Massachusetts, and is a Marine recruiter in Boston, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire. Velez has a license to carry his handgun in Massachusetts.

On September 6, Velez was stopped by police for failure to use a turn signal. During the traffic stop, the officer discovered Velez’s unloaded Ruger 9mm handgun, which was locked in the glove compartment of Velez’s truck and transported into New Jersey unintentionally. Velez was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and possession of hollow-point bullets in the state of New Jersey.

On December 23, Governor Chris Christie issued a pardon on behalf of Velez, which said in part:

WHEREAS, Joshua Velez has made a written application to the Governor for a pardon for the aforesaid offenses, and the State Parole Board, upon request of the Governor, in accordance with the law, has made an investigation of the facts and circumstances surrounding said application for a Pardon;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, CHRIS CHRISTIE, Governor the State of New Jersey, by virtue of the authority conferred upon me by the Constitution of the State of New Jersey and the statutes of this State, do hereby grant Joshua Velez a full and free Pardon for all criminal charges arising from the arrest occurring September 6, 2015, to include the aforesaid crimes, and this Order is applicable solely to said criminal charges and to no other.

See...the point to all of these gun laws the anti gunners pass isn't to stop criminals or mass shooters from getting guns....in fact, it is criminals and mass shooters murdering people that gives the anti gunners great photo ops for banning guns.....

The point to licensing, registering guns and background checks...is to entrap law abiding, normal gun owners and to ruin their lives because they own guns.

See...there are now 357 million guns in the country...and since almost all of them belong to normal people, they will never be used in crimes...so the anti gunners can't grab them or punish the owners...

So...what to do about that.....? They create paper work...they create carry laws that are stupid...but destructive........and as normal gun owners make simple mistakes, like the guy in this story, the anti gunners are able to reach out and crush them........turning simple mistakes that should at most be a fine....into life destruction.....massive financial loss due to lawyers fees and penalties, loss of freedom due to jail sentences, loss of livlihood because the law abiding gun owner is now a felon and can't get real jobs anymore....

But the best part....the anti gunners get his guns....all of them.....

And that is what they want all these laws for.......

Last edited:
[...]

On September 6, Velez was stopped by police for failure to use a turn signal. During the traffic stop, the officer discovered Velez’s unloaded Ruger 9mm handgun, which was locked in the glove compartment of Velez’s truck and transported into New Jersey unintentionally. Velez was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and possession of hollow-point bullets in the state of New Jersey.

[...]
I would like to know how the gun was found in Velez's locked glove compartment during a traffic stop for failing to use a turn signal. Since when does failing to signal a turn subject one's property to a search?

I live in New Jersey, which has some of the most prohibitive gun laws in the U.S., and I know that most New Jersey cops regard illegal gun possession as a personal affront, but this report is over the top. Either there is more to this story or the NRA and the ACLU need to get busy in this state.

[...]

[...]
I would like to know how the gun was found in Velez's locked glove compartment during a traffic stop for failing to use a turn signal. Since when does failing to signal a turn subject one's property to a search?

I live in New Jersey, which has some of the most prohibitive gun laws in the U.S., and I know that most New Jersey cops regard illegal gun possession as a personal affront, but this report is over the top. Either there is more to this story or the NRA and the ACLU need to get busy in this state.

The ACLU has no interest in protecting gun rights.

Here is the ACLU attacking the no fly list....but being okay with using the list to deny gun rights to citizens...

[Updated]* ACLU Opposes the No-Fly List, But Is Okay with Using It to Take People's Guns

A spokesperson for the ACLU told Buzzfeed News that the organization had no formal position on legislation, supported by the Obama administration, which would deny the right to purchase firearms to people on the no-fly list:

“We don’t have a position on the legislation in question, but … have many criticisms of the overall watchlisting system as it currently operates,” ACLU’s media strategist Josh Bell told BuzzFeed News.

“There is no constitutional bar to reasonable regulation of guns, and the No Fly List could serve as one tool for it, but only with major reform,” said Hina Shamsi, the director of the ACLU National Security Project.

This is striking hypocrisy. The ACLU recognizes that the no-fly list is a due-process travesty, but still thinks it could serve as a basis for gun control? The “but only with major reform” qualification is hardly reassuring.

There is no way you could carry a pistol across state lines, not knowing that state's gun laws. Hire a lawyer I guess.

[...]

[...]

Every LEO in the country is trained to ask basically: "Do you have any weapons in the car?" during any traffic stop.
Velez said : "Yes there is a gun in the glove box". Then the LEO asked Velez: "Do you know if the gun is Loaded?"
Velez said: "No it's not loaded and the glovebox is locked". Then the LEO asked Velez to hand over the car keys and point out which key unlocked the glove box.
Which Velez did. The LEO asked to step out of the vehicle and told Velez he was being detained and to turn around and put his hands behind his back then the LEO put hands cuffs on Velez. The LEO removed the handgun from the glovebox and Velez was transported to PH.
I trust this fills in some blanks.

[...]

[...]

Every LEO in the country is trained to ask basically: "Do you have any weapons in the car?" during any traffic stop.
Velez said : "Yes there is a gun in the glove box". Then the LEO asked Velez: "Do you know if the gun is Loaded?"
Velez said: "No it's not loaded and the glovebox is locked". Then the LEO asked Velez to hand over the car keys and point out which key unlocked the glove box.
Which Velez did. The LEO asked to step out of the vehicle and told Velez he was being detained and to turn around and put his hands behind his back then the LEO put hands cuffs on Velez. The LEO removed the handgun from the glovebox and Velez was transported to PH.

And this is the point...this guy was a law abiding citizen. He had no criminal record, had never committed a crime. He was not using the gun to commit a crime. All he did was essentially a clerical error....and the anti gun extremists destroyed his life, and it took a pardon by a Governor to roll it back.....for something that he did that wasn't a crime....

[...]

[...]

And this is the point...this guy was a law abiding citizen. He had no criminal record, had never committed a crime. He was not using the gun to commit a crime. All he did was essentially a clerical error....and the anti gun extremists destroyed his life, and it took a pardon by a Governor to roll it back.....for something that he did that wasn't a crime....
Funny these fucking LIB gun grabbers somehow never to take any interest in the endemic negro on negro murders committed every day in the inner cities. I wonder why?

I don't know when it became legal for such outrageous intrusion to take place during the citing procedure for an ordinary traffic offense. I believe this qualifies as an unlawful search.

I'm wondering if anyone has chosen to invest the time and expense to simply refuse to answer the weapon question and push the issue beyond the lower courts.

Aside from that, I wonder why Velez saw fit to answer the weapon question in the affirmative. He was questioned without benefit of Miranda, which should disqualify the confession which led to the arrest. The cop had no right to do that. At least he didn't in the America I'm remembering.

Little by little.

Chris Christie is a fucking Nazi bastard. He is desperate to get some traction so he is letting a man out of jail who NEVER should have been arrested in the first place.

Chris Christie is a fucking Nazi bastard. He is desperate to get some traction so he is letting a man out of jail who NEVER should have been arrested in the first place.
I agree.

Christie is a former prosecutor. I think he knows this arrest was unConstitutional and he avoided the ramifications if a superior court were to find in Velez's favor.

Funny these fucking LIB gun grabbers somehow never to take any interest in the endemic negro on negro murders committed every day in the inner cities. I wonder why?
Focusing a bit more closely on this issue, is the cossack who arrested this kid and ruined his life a "LIB?" How about the judge who saw fit to sentence him to prison and the fascists who conceive these outrageously un-American search procedures -- which deviously circumvent the Fifth Amendment and the very spirit of the Constitution?

I don't know when it became legal for such outrageous intrusion to take place during the citing procedure for an ordinary traffic offense. I believe this qualifies as an unlawful search.

I'm wondering if anyone has chosen to invest the time and expense to simply refuse to answer the weapon question and push the issue beyond the lower courts.

Aside from that, I wonder why Velez saw fit to answer the weapon question in the affirmative. He was questioned without benefit of Miranda, which should disqualify the confession which led to the arrest. The cop had no right to do that. At least he didn't in the America I'm remembering.

Little by little.
The LEO was very well trained. The conversation recorded.
Take special note the LEO 'ASKED' Velez to illicete the information. This is seminal to protecting the LEO from being sued.
Had the LEO ordered Velez out of the car and detained him in handcuffs THEN tossed the car Velez would have grounds to bring suit.
No problem for the LEO. His training saved his ass.

Take special note the LEO 'ASKED' Velez to illicete the information.

This is seminal to protecting the LEO from being sued.Had the LEO ordered Velez out of the car and detained him in handcuffs THEN tossed the car Velez would have grounds to bring suit.

I have no doubt the cop is well-schooled in implementing the convoluted means by which the spirit and intent of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments are circumvented. But I wonder how he feels about what he accomplished, which is to ruin the life of a decent, law-abiding kid. A Marine who had harmed no one.

If I were a cop and I did something like this I would not want any friends, family members or acquaintances to know about it. I believe this type of circumstance accounts for the excessive rate of alcoholism, divorce and suicide affecting the police occupation. The very nature of the incident is representative of why so many Americans are turning against the police

In addition to its impositions on the Second Amendment this case is a textbook example of how the wholly counterproductive drug war has enabled the systematic diminution of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, which began by replacing the probable cause requirement with "reasonable suspicion," which is a hunch.

The goddam right wing of the Supreme Court has done this to us.

Last edited:

Take special note the LEO 'ASKED' Velez to illicete the information.

This is seminal to protecting the LEO from being sued.Had the LEO ordered Velez out of the car and detained him in handcuffs THEN tossed the car Velez would have grounds to bring suit.

I have no doubt the cop is well-schooled in implementing the convoluted means by which the spirit and intent of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments are circumvented. But I wonder how he feels about what he accomplished, which is to ruin the life of a decent, law-abiding kid. A Marine who had harmed no one.

If I were a cop and I did something like this I would not want any friends, family members or acquaintances to know about it. I believe this type of circumstance accounts for the excessive rate of alcoholism, divorce and suicide affecting the police occupation. The very nature of the incident is representative of why so many Americans are turning against the police

In addition to its impositions on the Second Amendment this case is a textbook example of how the wholly counterproductive drug war has enabled the systematic diminution of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, which began by replacing the probable cause requirement with "reasonable suspicion," which is a hunch.

The goddam right wing of the Supreme Court has done this to us.
The LEO was doing his duty. It's hilarious that the LEO followed police procedure to the letter. You bitch about it. A LEO follows police procedure in the Darren Wilson case. You bitch about it.
The ONLY people who bitch about LEO doing their sworn duty are the fucking assholes who get into trouble with the cops.
Velez made a mistake. Period.

The LEO was doing his duty.
That familiar refrain was frequently heard during the Nuremberg trials.

It's hilarious that the LEO followed police procedure to the letter.
What's hilarious about it? This cop is a scumbag. If I knew his name and read someday that someone blew him away I would think of it as poetic justice.

You bitch about it.
I find extreme fault with it -- as will any reasoning individual who does not belong to the authoritarian/submissive cult.

A LEO follows police procedure in the Darren Wilson case. You bitch about it.
Show us where I "bitch" about the Darren Wilson shooting of Mike Brown. You can't, because I have frequently expressed approval of what Wilson did. Brown was a bullying punk who got what he deserved.

The ONLY people who bitch about LEO doing their sworn duty are the fucking assholes who get into trouble with the cops.
I am seventy-nine years old and have never been "in trouble with the cops." If If you look closely you will see an increasing number of decent, law-abiding citizens publicly expressing disapproval of the frequent misconduct and increasingly oppressive behavior of many contemporary American cops. The covers are coming off the cossacks and the "hero" veneer is wearing thin.

I agree. He should have realized who and what he was dealing with and answered no to the cossack's question.

The LEO was doing his duty. It's hilarious that the LEO followed police procedure to the letter. You bitch about it. A LEO follows police procedure in the Darren Wilson case. You bitch about it.

Like all public servants, the officer was required to swear an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. He agreed to this as a condition of his job; and this is his first duty, above all else. And the Constitution is absolutely clear about the people's right to keep and bear arms. By willfully participating in the blatant violation of this right, and of this nations' highest law, this officer has committed malfeasance, to a level that ought to be treated as a serious felony.

It is funny how you wrong-wingers like to speak of duty, and of the rule of law, in defense of blatant violations of both.

Like all public servants, the officer was required to swear an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. He agreed to this as a condition of his job; and this is his first duty, above all else. And the Constitution is absolutely clear about the people's right to keep and bear arms. By willfully participating in the blatant violation of this right, and of this nations' highest law, this officer has committed malfeasance, to a level that ought to be treated as a serious felony.

It is funny how you wrong-wingers like to speak of duty, and of the rule of law, in defense of blatant violations of both.
So explain why the officer wasn't even charged with picking his nose in public asshole?
Whenever a LEO is detaining anyone for any reason the first thing every LEO is trained to do is 'secure the scene'.
A LEO does this by ASKING if they can check out the detainee's pockets for instance: "Do you have anything in your pockets that could stick me. Is there anything in the car that is illegal. Do you MIND if I search your vehicle?"
If the detainee says "there's an unloaded gun in the glove box" the LEO is directed by Federal law to secure the weapon upon further investigation.
Wise up asshole. Know the law before running your dumb mouth.
Velez made a dumb mistake but what he did was illegal. He won't be making the same mistake again.
The Constitution does NOT allow people to "bear arms" illegally dummy!

So explain why the officer wasn't even charged with picking his nose in public asshole?
Because Velez is not wealthy and is therefore unable to hire the kind of legal representation that, whether or not a substantial damage suit and/or a criminal charge would follow, would make the cop regret choosing to initiate that intrusive nonsense.

Instead of an ordinary car, if Velez had been driving a new or late model luxury car and dressed in a way that suggested he could bring a high-caliber lawyer to bear, the weapon question would not have been asked.

Whenever a LEO is detaining anyone for any reason the first thing every LEO is trained to do is 'secure the scene'.

The issue here is Velez had harmed no one. He was a peaceful citizen, a Marine on leave who had, presumably unintentionally, committed a minor traffic offense, but because of this ambitious cossack he ended up in prison.

Show us where the word "illegal" is used in the Second Amendment.[/QUOTE]

Because Velez is not wealthy and is therefore unable to hire the kind of legal representation that, whether or not a substantial damage suit and/or a criminal charge would follow, would make the cop regret choosing to initiate that intrusive nonsense.

Instead of an ordinary car, if Velez had been driving a new or late model luxury car and dressed in a way that suggested he could bring a high-caliber lawyer to bear, the weapon question would not have been asked.

The issue here is Velez had harmed no one. He was a peaceful citizen, a Marine on leave who had, presumably unintentionally, committed a minor traffic offense, but because of this ambitious cossack he ended up in prison.

Show us where the word "illegal" is used in the Second Amendment.
[/QUOTE]
What Velez did was illegal. Ignorance of the law is no defense.

Forum List

Back