LED bulbs pay off in the long run

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011

They cost more now, but light-emitting diodes are shining brighter and lasting longer than traditional light bulbs.

Story Highlights

• LED bulbs can last up to 25 times longer than traditional 40- and 60-watt bulbs.
  • Inefficient 100-, 75-, 60- and 40-watt bulbs won't be sold in the U.S. after 2014.
  • Forecasters say LED prices will drop as the technology improves.

I haven't seen any difference and i changed all the bulbs in my house about 4 years ago..... I still replace just as often and my electric bill didn't really change........

I've seen two big differences. First is the cost. Second is the softer light making it harder to read. Maybe in 10 years they'll solve that, after we're all blind from straining.

I haven't seen any difference and i changed all the bulbs in my house about 4 years ago..... I still replace just as often and my electric bill didn't really change........

Its kinda like the ACA ...Libs are benefiting for it while rw's are losing their doctors and paying more and getting the mumps.

/sarcasm off

Darden Restaurants did a complete changeover a couple years ago and have already made half their money back.
2016 is when they expect to see a positive

Its kinda like the ACA ...Libs are benefiting for it while rw's are losing their doctors and paying more and getting the mumps.

/sarcasm off

Did someone make this a right vs left thing while i wasn't looking or do you simply have no choice but to play with yourself?

You do realize your lighting load makes up only 10% of your bill? Your miscellaneous power load makes up about 30%, with heating and cooling attributing to approximately 60% of your bill. Replace all your light fixtures with LED lights and you will see a slight reduction in your bill.

In addition to that, some utility company's offer rebates to customers who make their homes more energy efficient (per certain guidelines). That reduces your bill even more.

Actually some of each. The LEDs are about worthless........I use them as night lights.
You call something that can put out the same amount of footcandles at 1/4 of the watts of an incandescent lamp, worthless?

The only thing worthless here, is your layman's opinion about the efficacy of lighting fixtures.

I've seen two big differences. First is the cost. Second is the softer light making it harder to read. Maybe in 10 years they'll solve that, after we're all blind from straining.
The only good thing about incandescents, is their color renditions.

That's about it. They're the worst energy abusing lamp source on the planet.

They cost more now, but light-emitting diodes are shining brighter and lasting longer than traditional light bulbs.

Story Highlights

• LED bulbs can last up to 25 times longer than traditional 40- and 60-watt bulbs.
  • Inefficient 100-, 75-, 60- and 40-watt bulbs won't be sold in the U.S. after 2014.
  • Forecasters say LED prices will drop as the technology improves.
LED's are the bomb!

Nowaday's, you can't pass Title 24 without them.

I clearly don't see justifying paying $45-$50 for a light that gives off crappy, glary light just so some rare gnat could be saved.
When was the last time you bought an LED light?

Their color renditions have come a long way since the old days.

You can get LED's now over 3500 kelvin.
Thankfully, I never did. I'm very old school when it comes to my lighting and I've got over 30 years' worth of experience in the area. I've seen flops, I've seen successes. LEDs will never appeal to me, especially since the cost is way too prohibitive.

As an aside, I have an old "Saturn" ceiling light in my hallway that I got from my church a while back. I reconditioned it and use the correct lamp in it (300 watt silvered bowl). I just changed out the lamp after seven years of service.

Thankfully, I never did. I'm very old school when it comes to my lighting and I've got over 30 years' worth of experience in the area. I've seen flops, I've seen successes. LEDs will never appeal to me, especially since the cost is way too prohibitive.

As an aside, I have an old "Saturn" ceiling light in my hallway that I got from my church a while back. I reconditioned it and use the correct lamp in it (300 watt silvered bowl). I just changed out the lamp after seven years of service.
What kind of experience in the area of lighting do you have 30 years of experience in.

I'm not arguing, I'm just curious.

For me, I'm an electrical engineer. That's how I've been paying my rent for the last 30 years.

What kind of experience in the area of lighting do you have 30 years of experience in.

I'm not arguing, I'm just curious.

For me, I'm an electrical engineer. That's how I've been paying my rent for the last 30 years.
Ya, so I'd say you got me there. I'm just an enthusiast and a collector of vintage HID lighting.

Forum List

Back