LeBron vs. Art Modell

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
A few days ago, it was said if Lebron leaves Cleveland, he will be detested more than Art Modell by Cleveland sports fans. your thoughts?

I would say that's probably going to turn out to be true. LeBron and the Cavs were the only team we had for so long with any shot of doing anything, and it's made even worse by the fact that LeBron is turning his back on his hometown. Add to that the fact that he did so on a national special that further fed his ego and insulted Cleveland sports fans.

No Way. Lebron will be forgotten about but what Modell did will never be forgotten. Ironically, after growing up a Browns fan in Ohio I never met any players until I moved to Newport news, VA. In one two week period I met and hung out with Kosar, Mack, and Langhorne. Very cool guys and they all confirmed the biggest problem with the Browns is Modell didn't give a fuck about winning or losing. All he wanted was management and players that would kiss his ass.

I've since stopped supporting pro sports and Modell was the trigger but largely it's because there's no Heart anymore. The specific field doesn't matter because the majority of players are running for dead presidents and not their teams or hometowns. If they can't be loyal why should fans be?

No Way. Lebron will be forgotten about but what Modell did will never be forgotten. Ironically, after growing up a Browns fan in Ohio I never met any players until I moved to Newport news, VA. In one two week period I met and hung out with Kosar, Mack, and Langhorne. Very cool guys and they all confirmed the biggest problem with the Browns is Modell didn't give a fuck about winning or losing. All he wanted was management and players that would kiss his ass.

I've since stopped supporting pro sports and Modell was the trigger but largely it's because there's no Heart anymore. The specific field doesn't matter because the majority of players are running for dead presidents and not their teams or hometowns. If they can't be loyal why should fans be?

LeBron won't be forgotten, not by a longshot.

LeBron won't be forgotten, not by a longshot.

Who?

The left has been in a lather all day about his choice. Not being a really big sports fan I can't figure out why? Why can't the guy choose where he wants to play and for whom without all the flak?

Lebron showed more class than the Cleveland owner

He also showed he nade the right decision not playing for Cleveland

• Banned

Well LeBron showed no class at all, so is it possible to show negative class?

God, am I sick and tired of the wailing. So LeBron moved, took a new job? So what? Why wouldn't he have the right to do so? Cleveland fans burning his jersey, the owner carrying on like LeBron made off with the silver...it's preposterous.

I wish him and his family nothing but the best.

God, am I sick and tired of the wailing. So LeBron moved, took a new job? So what? Why wouldn't he have the right to do so? Cleveland fans burning his jersey, the owner carrying on like LeBron made off with the silver...it's preposterous.

The overreaction is compensation for general frustration of betrayal in denial.

A few days ago, it was said if Lebron leaves Cleveland, he will be detested more than Art Modell by Cleveland sports fans. your thoughts?

No, I don't think there's any chance of that. Cleveland is a football town before it's a basketball town and I think most Cleveland fans will tell you that there's nothing wrong in principle with Lebron choosing to go somewhere else (doesn't quite jibe with "I got a goal, and it's a huge goal, and that's to bring an NBA championship here to Cleveland" but c'est la vie). Modell relocating the team, on the other hand, is inexcusable.

The problem with Lebron isn't that he left, it's that he seemingly went out of his way to publicly shit on the city, the franchise, and the fans by engaging in this absurd spectacle. Being profoundly thoughtless and disrespectful is one thing, but it's not as if he took the franchise with him when he left. If he'd done that, he might be approaching Modellity.

As it is, on the scale of Cleveland sports villains, he's somewhere between Boozer and Modell (obviously the scale ends at Modell).

To those arguing that Lebron showed some degree of class with this Lebron-a-thon: what?!

Nobody's saying he doesn't have the right to leave. But we feel betrayed by his decisions. Decisions have consequences, and the consequence of his decision is that he probably will never be forgiven by Cleveland fans.

So unless he played in Cleveland throughout his career, it wasn't enough? Give me a break. Why the hell would anyone want to play for Cleveland, if this is how the fans treat the players?

So unless he played in Cleveland throughout his career, it wasn't enough? Give me a break. Why the hell would anyone want to play for Cleveland, if this is how the fans treat the players?

It wasn't just that he left. It's the way he left. Fucking despicable.

The point being that we showed him loyalty during his career, and now at the first chance he can he drops us.

Forum List

Back