Lebanese Minister Resigns

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Lebanese ministers resign office

Mr Karimi denies any involvement in the attack on Mr Hariri
Lebanon's Prime Minister Omar Karimi has announced he and his government are resigning, two weeks after the murder of former PM Rafik Hariri.
The move comes as crowds protest in Beirut, calling for Syrian troops to leave the country.

The Lebanese parliament was also debating an opposition-sponsored motion of no-confidence in the government.

"I am keen the government will not be a hurdle in front of those who want the good for this country," Mr Karimi said.

"I declare the resignation of the government that I had the honour to head. May God preserve Lebanon."

His announcement came after a lunch break in the parliamentary debate, which was being televised live.

A cheer went up among more than 10,000 protesters who had gathered in Martyrs Square to demand the resignation of the government and the withdrawal of Syrian troops.

Opposition leaders also welcomed the decision.

Interim government

Both Mr Karimi's government and the Syrian government have been accused of involvement in the 14 February assassination of Mr Hariri - charges they deny.

Earlier, Mr Kariri - who took office after Mr Hariri resigned last year - said those who accused his government of involvement in the crime "committed a grave injustice".

The BBC's Kim Ghattas in Beirut says a new interim government will now have to be chosen that meets the approval of opposition leaders. It will govern until elections, which are due in spring.

Before the debate opened, MPs observed a minute's silence in memory of Mr Hariri.

"I accuse this government of incitement, negligence and shortcomings at the least, and of covering up its planning at the most... if not executing," the attack, said former minister Marwan Hamadeh.

He also called for the dismissal of three Lebanese intelligence chiefs, the head of the police and the commander of the Presidential Guards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/4305927.stm

falling.. hehehe But Ted Kennedy said it was all lies.... Ted? Ted? What's going on?

You know, its such a shame that the liberals were right...that the liberation of Iraq from a dictatorship and their subsequent free elections would have NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the rest of the Middle East...otherwise whats happening in Lebanon would be an amazing sight. :laugh:

Gem said:
You know, its such a shame that the liberals were right...that the liberation of Iraq from a dictatorship and their subsequent free elections would have NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the rest of the Middle East...otherwise whats happening in Lebanon would be an amazing sight. :laugh:

Isn't that a shame.......... ;)
And yet Hollywood was still taking pot shots at Bush last night or so I heard, I couldn't be bothered to watch the BIG I AMS on parade :bow2:
Do any liberals have any guts when it comes to admitting truth or that they were wrong???

Let's see.
1.Lebanon government chose to resign rather than face revolution.
2.Syrai has said they are pulling back.
3.Syria turned over Saddam's brother to Iraq.
4.Afghanistan has completed election. Women voted.
5.Iraq has completed election,working on building constitutions. Women voted.
6.Saudis are saying they will be holding local elections, that allow women to work.

Gee, there is no way this can work in the ME. :rolleyes:

Kathianne said:
Let's see.
1.Lebanon government chose to resign rather than face revolution.
2.Syrai has said they are pulling back.
3.Syria turned over Saddam's brother to Iraq.
4.Afghanistan has completed election. Women voted.
5.Iraq has completed election,working on building constitutions. Women voted.
6.Saudis are saying they will be holding local elections, that allow women to work.

Gee, there is no way this can work in the ME. :rolleyes:

This must be the quagmire Bush got us into---------well lets all be like BIG PIGGIES and wallow in it. :tng:

Forum List

Back