Lawyer who racially abused flight crew found dead after jail release

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

A human rights lawyer who was jailed after shouting racist abuse at Air India staff was found dead days after being released from prison, police have said.

Simone Burns, 50, from Hove, was given a six-month jail sentence in April for shouting at Air India staff during a flight from Mumbai to London last year. She had been refused more alcohol and demanded to speak to the pilot.

Burns was filmed telling a crew member she was “a fucking international lawyer” and calling stewards “Indian money-grabbing *****”. She reportedly also tried to smoke a cigarette in the toilets.

Burns was found dead at Beachy Head in East Sussex on 1 June, 13 days after her release on licence from Bronzefield prison.

Well it looks pretty obvious that she topped herself. I have no time for racists but this seems such a tragic case.
I wonder what sort of assessments were done on her before she was released.Was she on suicide watch ?
A lot of released prisoners end up in the same way. I would like to think some reforms might come from this.

Law is a high stress profession and it also ends up being the career of people with mental issues. The combination can be toxic.

A human rights lawyer who was jailed after shouting racist abuse at Air India staff was found dead days after being released from prison, police have said.

Simone Burns, 50, from Hove, was given a six-month jail sentence in April for shouting at Air India staff during a flight from Mumbai to London last year. She had been refused more alcohol and demanded to speak to the pilot.

Burns was filmed telling a crew member she was “a fucking international lawyer” and calling stewards “Indian money-grabbing *****”. She reportedly also tried to smoke a cigarette in the toilets.

Burns was found dead at Beachy Head in East Sussex on 1 June, 13 days after her release on licence from Bronzefield prison.

Well it looks pretty obvious that she topped herself. I have no time for racists but this seems such a tragic case.
I wonder what sort of assessments were done on her before she was released.Was she on suicide watch ?
A lot of released prisoners end up in the same way. I would like to think some reforms might come from this.

I remember seeing that video and thinking how insane the lady appeared. She had to have had a drinking problem based on this video, probably a crutch for others issues going on in her life.

Life is fragile. Fight the good fight and try to keep standing.

I remember seeing that video and thinking how insane the lady appeared. She had to have had a drinking problem based on this video, probably a crutch for others issues going on in her life.

Life is fragile. Fight the good fight and try to keep standing.
She had skin cancer as well.

Human rights lawyer spewing racial insults... probably offed herself because she no longer had clients...

Human rights lawyer spewing racial insults... probably offed herself because she no longer had clients...
Her incarceration would have ended her career. But she was inside for a while and somebody should have picked up on her mood.

Forum List

Back