Lawyer Backs Black Lives Matter Group's Right to Defend Hamas Attack

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
I wonder how far this guy would go, if it were the defense of conservative causes?

Israel should receive America's continuing care and assistance while those who have expressed support for Palestinians should have their rights protected, constitutional lawyer Jonathan Turley told Newsweek.

Turley, a professor at The George Washington University Law School and a former GOP witness during one of President Donald Trump's impeachment trials, detailed his thoughts in a blog post published Wednesday. He discussed the varied reactions for and against Israel and the Palestinians following Saturday's attacks by Hamas, a militant group characterized by the U.S. as a terror organization

I wonder how far this guy would go, if it were the defense of conservative causes?

It's a free country. They can say whatever they want. None of us have to agree with them, none of us have to print it or allow it on social media platforms, but the government cannot tell them not to say it.

Everybody has a right to be a degenerate dick, until they start infringing upon other’s rights to freedom and liberty. This pro-Hamas shit? This is pushing the envelope.

The G-Men in the FDR administration would have been visiting the homes of Americans who defended Japan. As a matter of fact the FDR administration cancelled the Constitution and authorized the arrest and incarceration 0f American citizens who appeared to be Japanese. How did the United States get away with such an atrocity? The first thing a renegade administration does is to take over the media and if the media becomes a willing participant in criminal behavior so much the better. Today we live with the same willing participant by the media but the agenda is the opposite.

Bullshit. They continually push for laws that allow the government to punish someone for saying the wrong thing. Not many conservatives are pushing to make misgendering or using a slur against someone a crime.

Turley is consistent in his views. He puts the Constitution ahead of any political agenda he might have.

I support the right of people to hold controversial views. They should always have the right to voice those views. People then have the right to vote them out of office or not fund them. This notion that we should silence unpopular speech is un American. When I was a college student back in the 70's we fought for free speech on campus. It's disturbing to me that now colleges are one of the places most guilty of censorship and it's been done by the left. I've always found that the measure of a person is what they do when they have power. Do they abuse it or do they use it sparingly?

It's a free country. They can say whatever they want. None of us have to agree with them, none of us have to print it or allow it on social media platforms, but the government cannot tell them not to say it.
Hate speech

Hate speech

You people are as ignorant and moronic, as you are filled with hate for American democracy and Americans

"Under current First Amendment jurisprudence, hate speech can only be criminalized when it directly incites imminent criminal activity or consists of specific threats of violence targeted against a person or group."

You people are as ignorant and moronic, as you are filled with hate for American democracy and Americans

"Under current First Amendment jurisprudence, hate speech can only be criminalized when it directly incites imminent criminal activity or consists of specific threats of violence targeted against a person or group."
If you people were all about American Democracy, at a minimum, you would interpret and apply hate speech law more consistently.

Forum List

Back