Lawsuit Threatened if Atheist North Carolina Councilman Gets Sworn In

You may want to REREAD your own story. The man threatening a lawsuit is BLACK. I seriously doubt he is a Republican. You see in the South they actually HAVE conservative Democrats.

If he is Republican then I am glad some blacks in my State are Republican.

So why he is likely a Democrat? Because he's black? Nice Job RGS! :lol:

The Bass is a African American and a Republican. Guess that destroys your theory. :lol:

Maybe you should pay more attention to what you post? You know, actually read it with some level of reading comprehension and intelligence.

Go ahead provide us a link to all the heads of NAACP chapters that are Republican. The Congressional Black Caucus is on record for expelling the only black Republican that was a member. I seriously doubt the NAACP would support a Republican.

You may want to REREAD your own story. The man threatening a lawsuit is BLACK. I seriously doubt he is a Republican. You see in the South they actually HAVE conservative Democrats.

YOU made the assumption that since he was conservative he was a Republican.

The Bass is a African American and a Republican. Guess that destroys your theory. :lol:

Maybe you should pay more attention to what you post? You know, actually read it with some level of reading comprehension and intelligence.

Go ahead provide us a link to all the heads of NAACP chapters that are Republican. The Congressional Black Caucus is on record for expelling the only black Republican that was a member. I seriously doubt the NAACP would support a Republican.

The NAACP kicked this guy out.

Like I said, I bet he votes Republican. But he's still loony. Kinda like Rosie O'Donnell. She votes Democrat, but I'm not going to paint all democrats with her very wiiiiiiide brush.

And of course the winger dogbert, and his little board cronies, think all REPs or conservatives will agree with said lawsuit (though it has not been established at all that the person filing the suit is either REP or conservative)..

IMHO this brings to light a loophole and outdated part of NC's constitution that should be looked into for changing... whether the guy is atheist, Christian, Hindu, or freaking follows the ancient Egyptian religion is of no consequence.. he was elected in... and unless he is some felon or something else that would legitimately keep him from office, he should be sworn in and allowed to do his duties

And of course the winger dogbert, and his little board cronies, think all REPs or conservatives will agree with said lawsuit (though it has not been established at all that the person filing the suit is either REP or conservative)..

IMHO this brings to light a loophole and outdated part of NC's constitution that should be looked into for changing... whether the guy is atheist, Christian, Hindu, or freaking follows the ancient Egyptian religion is of no consequence.. he was elected in... and unless he is some felon or something else that would legitimately keep him from office, he should be sworn in and allowed to do his duties

Actually I do not believe having been convicted of a felony disqualifies either.

I'm still wondering where I said this is representative of all Republicans or Conservatives. Maybe RGS or Dave can post such evidence.

NAACP kicked him out if you recall RGS. I did not assume that the Conservative was automatically a Republican. I assumed he was a Republican because the guy who was elected in was more of a Democrat.

Actually I do not believe having been convicted of a felony disqualifies either.

Well.. certainly in DC it does not.. unsure as to NC's constitution has though

I'm still wondering where I said this is representative of all Republicans or Conservatives. Maybe RGS or Dave can post such evidence.

NAACP kicked him out if you recall RGS. I did not assume that the Conservative was automatically a Republican. I assumed he was a Republican because the guy who was elected in was more of a Democrat.
Republicans will still continue to be stuck in 1868. I do wonder what is so Conservative about denying people who do not believe in a God a right to hold office anyway

Quite obvious what your winger insinuation was

This guy is not the only one objecting to this if you read the article. Also, do note that I questioned him being a Conservative.

Last edited:

Republicans will still continue to be stuck in 1868. I do wonder what is so Conservative about denying people who do not believe in a God a right to hold office anyway

Again

quite obvious what your insinuation was, winger

Again

quite obvious what your insinuation was, winger

You did not read the article. So therefore you assume I'm assuming without any evidence. However, there is plenty of evidence to see that the main opposition guy is a Republican and his opponents are Republicans. The guy is essentially Democrat.

Join the rest of us in reality.

FOXNews.com - Lawsuit Threatened if Atheist North Carolina Councilman Gets Sworn In

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Asheville City Councilman Cecil Bothwell believes in ending the death penalty, conserving water and reforming government -- but he doesn't believe in God. His political opponents say that's a sin that makes him unworthy of serving in office, and they've got the North Carolina Constitution on their side.

Bothwell's detractors are threatening to take the city to court for swearing him in, even though the state's antiquated requirement that officeholders believe in God is unenforceable because it violates the U.S. Consititution.

Bothwell ran this fall on a platform that also included limiting the height of downtown buildings and saving trees in the city's core, views that appealed to voters in the liberal-leaning community at the foot of the Appalachian Mountains. When Bothwell was sworn into office on Monday, he used an alternative oath that doesn't require officials to swear on a Bible or reference "Almighty God."

"My father was a Baptist minister. I'm a Christian man. I have problems with people who don't believe in God," said Edgerton, a former local NAACP president and founder of Southern Heritage 411, an organization that promotes the interests of black southerners.

Bothwell can't be forced out of office over his atheist views because the North Carolina provision is unenforceable, according to the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution. Six other states, Arkansas, Maryland, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas, have similar provisions barring atheist officeholders.

In 1961, the U.S. Supreme Court reaffirmed that federal law prohibits states from requiring any kind of religious test to serve in office when it ruled in favor of a Maryland atheist seeking appointment as a notary public.

But the federal protections don't necessarily spare atheist public officials from spending years defending themselves in court. Avowed atheist Herb Silverman won an eight-year court battle in 1997 when South Carolina's highest court granted him the right to be appointed as a notary despite the state's law.

Well, in the end, the Atheist will win. Meanwhile, Republicans will still continue to be stuck in 1868. I do wonder what is so Conservative about denying people who do not believe in a God a right to hold office anyway.

I've always wondered what's so almighty liberal about it, since these people took this right out of the Democrat Party playbook, ie. using a lawsuit to try to overturn an election and/or intimidate political opponents.

By the way, nice job of cherrypicking you did there. I like how you skipped completely over the parts where Bothwell himself said it was more about politics than religion and Edgerton said he wanted to use the lawsuit to make the legislature clean up the laws on the books.

I swear, I wonder sometimes what kind of ratings Fox would have without tweekos like you hunting for something to get your panties in a ruffle over.

FOXNews.com - Lawsuit Threatened if Atheist North Carolina Councilman Gets Sworn In

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Asheville City Councilman Cecil Bothwell believes in ending the death penalty, conserving water and reforming government -- but he doesn't believe in God. His political opponents say that's a sin that makes him unworthy of serving in office, and they've got the North Carolina Constitution on their side.

Bothwell's detractors are threatening to take the city to court for swearing him in, even though the state's antiquated requirement that officeholders believe in God is unenforceable because it violates the U.S. Consititution.

Bothwell can't be forced out of office over his atheist views because the North Carolina provision is unenforceable, according to the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution. Six other states, Arkansas, Maryland, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas, have similar provisions barring atheist officeholders.

In 1961, the U.S. Supreme Court reaffirmed that federal law prohibits states from requiring any kind of religious test to serve in office when it ruled in favor of a Maryland atheist seeking appointment as a notary public.

But the federal protections don't necessarily spare atheist public officials from spending years defending themselves in court. Avowed atheist Herb Silverman won an eight-year court battle in 1997 when South Carolina's highest court granted him the right to be appointed as a notary despite the state's law.

Well, in the end, the Atheist will win. Meanwhile, Republicans will still continue to be stuck in 1868. I do wonder what is so Conservative about denying people who do not believe in a God a right to hold office anyway.

Talk about a stinker legal case. This one has "establishment clause" written all over it. If it accomplishes anything, it will just lead to the archaic state law being chucked.

"No religious litmus test" means just that.

I think there was a Supreme Court case vs the state of Maryland in the 1960s that pretty much reaffirmed that a religious test for government employment is unConstitutional.

Hmmmm....race card.

The NAACP isn't a political organization.

Forum List

Back