Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To A 30 Year Low

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
You can eat up the those unemployment propaganda numbers all you want but facts are stubborn things: 1.2 million people dropped out of the labor force in one month! :eek:
From ZeroHedge:
Record 1.2 Million People Fall Out Of Labor Force In One Month, Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To Fresh 30 Year Low | ZeroHedge
So as the labor force increased from 153.9 million to 154.4 million, the non institutional population increased by 242.3 million meaning, those not in the labor force surged from 86.7 million to 87.9 million. Which means that the civilian labor force tumbled to a fresh 30 year low of 63.7% as the BLS is seriously planning on eliminating nearly half of the available labor pool from the unemployment calculation.
They're not unemployed if you don't count them! :lol:

You can eat up the those unemployment propaganda numbers all you want but facts are stubborn things: 1.2 million people dropped out of the labor force in one month! :eek:
From ZeroHedge:
Record 1.2 Million People Fall Out Of Labor Force In One Month, Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To Fresh 30 Year Low | ZeroHedge
So as the labor force increased from 153.9 million to 154.4 million, the non institutional population increased by 242.3 million meaning, those not in the labor force surged from 86.7 million to 87.9 million. Which means that the civilian labor force tumbled to a fresh 30 year low of 63.7% as the BLS is seriously planning on eliminating nearly half of the available labor pool from the unemployment calculation.

This has already been debunked in another thread. These numbers were based on a Census Bureau population adjustment. People dye and retire, you know?

From ZeroHedge:

This has already been debunked in another thread. These numbers were based on a Census Bureau population adjustment. People dye and retire, you know?

Lying fucker

What's the Real Unemployment Number? - DailyFinance

Democrats won control of this country in 2006. They took office January 1, 2007. That was the last month we had an improving employment rate. Democrats have been in control for over 5 years now & the employment rate has dropped that whole time.

fredgraph.png

Democrats won control of this country in 2006. They took office January 1, 2007. That was the last month we had an improving employment rate. Democrats have been in control for over 5 years now & the employment rate has dropped that whole time.

fredgraph.png

Which comes as no surprise once you realize that Democrats are to the economic left of real Communists

Democrats won control of this country in 2006. They took office January 1, 2007...
--and since mid '07 the number of people working has fallen from an all time high of 146,260,000 to the current 141.637,000.

Since Democrats took over Congress: 4,625,000 fewer people working.
Since Democrats took over the White house: 3,020,000 fewer people working.

Well, some economists in the main stream would start handing out shovels to have these folks dig holes and then fill them back in because this apparently is productive economically. These are the types of solutions offered up and we wonder why people are just dropping out. In another four years it should get so bad (or perhaps good, depending how you see it) that a new black market will form itself for goods exchange. At least, history tells a similar story.

Well, some economists in the main stream would start handing out shovels to have these folks dig holes and then fill them back in because this apparently is productive economically. These are the types of solutions offered up and we wonder why people are just dropping out...
That's actually what happened with Obama's first big lunacy he called "cash for clunkers" where our tax dollars were used to pay people to destroy their perfectly good cars and buy new ones. Yeah, I know the idea was to get new (supposedly less polluting) cars on the road, but the actual real life result has been to send the average vehicle age to an all time high.

Just looked at the U.S. Govt's Bureau of Labor Statistics monthly report.

Dec. 2011 . Jan. 2012
------------------------------------------------------------
153.373 . . . 153.485 . . . Civilian labor force (millions)
140.681 . . . 139.944 . . . No. of persons employed (millions)
12.692 . . . . 13.541 . . . No. of persons unemployed (millions)
. . 8.3% . . . . 8.8% . . . . Unemployment rate (percent)

These are the raw numbers, compiled by the government. See them at: Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age

Looks to me like the unemployment rate went UP from Dec. 2011 to Jan 2012. And the number of people unemployed went UP, by 849 thousand people. (6.7% MORE people were unemployed in Jan than in Dec).

"Seasonal adjustments" have somehow made this go away. I wonder how those 849,000 additional unemployed people feel about this?

the holy of the holies...the NY Times...:rolleyes:

Wow. But Is the Number Real?

February 3, 2012, 10:13 am

By FLOYD NORRIS

How many jobs did the American economy add in January?The Labor Department estimated on Friday that the economy gained 243,000 jobs.

The department also estimated that the economy lost 2,689,000 jobs in the month.

The difference in the two numbers is in seasonal adjustment. Employment always falls in January, as temporary Christmas jobs end. So the government applies seasonal adjustment factors in an effort to discern the real trend of the economy apart from seasonal fluctuations. The actual survey showed the big loss in jobs. The seasonal adjustments produced the reported gain of 243,000 jobs.

A reason to doubt the number is that there has been a tendency in this cycle for the seasonal factors to overstate moves, in both directions. Labor mobility is down, as fewer workers quit to seek better jobs and employers both hire and fire fewer people than they used to do. If the seasonal adjustment was too large, then the gain should be smaller.

Wow. But Is the Number Real? - NYTimes.com

I am sure I will have to post this at least 5 times....:lol:

Last edited:

By FLOYD NORRIS

How many jobs did the American economy add in January?The Labor Department estimated on Friday that the economy gained 243,000 jobs.

The department also estimated that the economy lost 2,689,000 jobs in the month.

The difference in the two numbers is in seasonal adjustment. Employment always falls in January, as temporary Christmas jobs end. So the government applies seasonal adjustment factors in an effort to discern the real trend of the economy apart from seasonal fluctuations. The actual survey showed the big loss in jobs. The seasonal adjustments produced the reported gain of 243,000 jobs.

A reason to doubt the number is that there has been a tendency in this cycle for the seasonal factors to overstate moves, in both directions. Labor mobility is down, as fewer workers quit to seek better jobs and employers both hire and fire fewer people than they used to do. If the seasonal adjustment was too large, then the gain should be smaller.

Racist

If they are NOT seeking a job then they are not part of the unemployed.

You see there are alot of boomers who just desided to retire now instead of trying to work for the last two or so years of their careers.

Husbands and wives who desided to become stay at homes.

You cant pretend they want work jsut to satisfy your partisan needs

You see there are alot of boomers who just desided to retire now instead of trying to work for the last two or so years of their careers.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cuckoo::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

You can't ignore the unemployed & hurting in this country just because it fits your political narrative. These people still count & they still vote. Their friends & families who support them also still vote.

From ZeroHedge:
If 1.2 million dropped out of the labor force and the labor forced INCREASED by 1/2 million then 100% of the 1.2 million were replaced plus another 500 thousand by people entering the labor force!!!

looks to me like the unemployment rate went up from dec. 2011 to jan 2012. And the number of people unemployed went up, by 849 thousand people. (6.7% more people were unemployed in jan than in dec).

"seasonal adjustments" have somehow made this go away. I wonder how those 849,000 additional unemployed people feel about this?

u-4

Just looked at the U.S. Govt's Bureau of Labor Statistics monthly report.

Dec. 2011 . Jan. 2012
------------------------------------------------------------
153.373 . . . 153.485 . . . Civilian labor force (millions)
140.681 . . . 139.944 . . . No. of persons employed (millions)
12.692 . . . . 13.541 . . . No. of persons unemployed (millions)
. . 8.3% . . . . 8.8% . . . . Unemployment rate (percent)

These are the raw numbers, compiled by the government. See them at: Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age

Looks to me like the unemployment rate went UP from Dec. 2011 to Jan 2012. And the number of people unemployed went UP, by 849 thousand people. (6.7% MORE people were unemployed in Jan than in Dec).

"Seasonal adjustments" have somehow made this go away. I wonder how those 849,000 additional unemployed people feel about this?

They're stimulating the economy

By FLOYD NORRIS

Its called seasonally adjusted, I can't believe I have to explain this AGAIN. The jobs report for the month is to determine how many PERMANENT jobs were added. Were you complaining when they didn't add 3M people in November and December?
They didn't add them in then, and they aren't taking them out now. They just ignored those 3M people the entire time.

Its called seasonally adjusted, I can't believe I have to explain this AGAIN. The jobs report for the month is to determine how many PERMANENT jobs were added. Were you complaining when they didn't add 3M people in November and December?
They didn't add them in then, and they aren't taking them out now. They just ignored those 3M people the entire time.

There is only one number that matters & that is the employment to population ratio. Go to the federal reserve website & look at the chart called EMRATIO. I have posted it below. It proves that after Democrats won control of the country in 2006 we started loosing jobs 3 months later. There have been no employment rate gains since. Just fairy tails of fancy adjusted unemployment numbers.

fredgraph.png

Forum List

Back