Krauthammer nails it again... Obamacare tanking

Discussion in 'Politics' started by soosie, Jul 26, 2009.

1. soosie

soosie BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/07/24/why_obamacare_is_sinking_97598.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  2. Soaring

Soaring Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91
    And, that's why it is important to not throw the baby out with the wash, but to control the costs that the doctors and hospitals charge for their services. Make it extremely difficult for a doctor to be sued for malpractice. Show in black and white what a CT scan machine costs and how many patients does it take to pay for it. Justify those enormous costs of the machines, tests, employees, etc. Be on the up and up with the costs in the first place, and don't drive the most expensive Mercedes and live in the most expensive houses as doctors. But, to turn it all over to the government which can't run a dog and pony show is ridiculous.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Soaring - I agree with everything you said except for this statement. While I do not advocate suing a physician for a very trivial and minor mistake, physician's (especially very bad ones) make mistakes that sometimes does great harm to a patient. In a case such as this, I think a law suit is a proper thing to employ to bring some justice to the situation. Let's say for the sake of conversation, Joe, the patient needs a knee replacement on his right knee. He goes into surgery and comes out with a knee replacement on his left knee. His right knee received no surgical correction at all. A mistake was made by operating on his left knee instead of his right knee. He is no better off for the surgery, in fact, he is worse off because now he has the painful rehab to endure on his left knee and his right knee still has a problem. In a case like this, I think it is entirely appropriate to sue a physician. I would hope that you agree.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    bad example dog....normally if one knee is fucked they both are....they tend to tour together you know....lets take the airman...you cant sue the military...dumbass doctors cuts the cartoid artery...

they have to amputate both of his legs due to this mistake....he will get disablity and that is it...i assure you having experience with military hospitals...you should be able to sue

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Bones, I don't think you caught on to what I was really saying. A physician, just like any other professional person should be "sueable" (is that even a word?) if there is a real and honest reason for it. I don't believe in trivial law suits when it is obvious that the person doing the suing is just hunting for gold. However, if it's legit, I'm all for it. I know what you are saying about when one knee is bad often times they both are but that isn't always the case. In my example, the point I was making was the physician operated on the "wrong" knee and he should be held accountable.

I do know a bit about how military medical facilities are run. I know that they, like all medical treatment centers make mistakes and they should be made accountable for their mistakes just like in the civilian world. Unfortunatley, it is all but impossible to sue a military medical facility or any member of their treatment team. I've always felt this was unfair and unjust. I have seen people that have had medical misadventures. Once when I was stationed on a ship in Charleston, there was a crewmember that did in fact have a problem with one of his knees. He was sent over to the Naval Hospital by me, because I was the Corpsman on this particular ship that the person I am talking about was stationed aboard. Sure enough, he required surgery to correct his medical problem. Well, they operated on the wrong knee. So, yes, I am very aware that the military makes mistakes in their treatment of patients from time to time but I don't think it is any more frequent than what happens in the civilian world. It's just too damned bad that servicemen have very little recourse when this happens as opposed to somebody how is a civilian being treated at a civilian hospital. It is almost impossible for a military servicemember to suit the US government for any reason - not just medical. I don't really know why that is but I know it's true.