KOA camping

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
We're planning a 4 day KOA family camping trip this summer. We'll be staying in one of their Kabins. Great for the family, a heated pool available, and we can bring our boat! Very family oriented.

Anyone else like KOA?

We're planning a 4 day KOA family camping trip this summer. We'll be staying in one of their Kabins. Great for the family, a heated pool available, and we can bring our boat! Very family oriented.

Anyone else like KOA?

I think KOA is expensive.

Why not stay in a hotel?

Anyone else like KOA?

Why not stay in a hotel?

It's cheaper than a hotel, with a more rustic setting, a more communal atmosphere, more amenities that teenagers like, a more controlled environment, and it's more wholesome and family oriented. For us, we can stay in their Kabins and still bring the fishing boat along.

I love KOA as a kid. The campgrounds were usually well maintained, fun for kids, and generally shady as possible depending on the location in the US. I also liked Sam Goody, Safari and Jellystones for private campgrounds. Otherwise, I always enjoyed state parks... but they had more pit than flush toilets usually. Hate those things.

I have stayed in a few KOA's, but in a camper trailer.. It was nice because they had a main building with tvs and ping pong tables.. I personally like camping in tents, and doing it the real way. I like not taking showers, and being dirty just as long as there is beer and hot dogs. :lol:

When my two children were small, I worked then, as I have pretty much my whole life, way too much overtime. I told my employers that I would work all the overtime that was needed, but I was taking three weeks off, paid or not, every summer with the kids.

We camped in a tent and used KOAs at every oppertunity. The kids loved the idea of swimming after a long days drive. By the time they were both grown, they had seen pretty much every National Park west of the Mississippi. And half the museums. We made time, every time we saw a museum sign, to stop and have a look.

Now that it is just the wife and I, we pretty much don't use regular campgrounds. Last good trip we took, 200 miles of two ruts with 18" sagebrush in between. For those that know Oregon, Fort Rock through the Lost Forest, then to the Steens, did the whole loop, and down through the Catlow Valley, south through Funnel Canyon, to the Nevada border, back north by the Alvord Dessert, East by Mickey Hot Springs to highway 95. To Crystal Crane hot spring campground, and the first shower in five days!

We have a seat in the stretch 350 Ford van that folds down into a reasonably comfortable bed. Packed 36 gals of water, something goes wrong in the high dessert of Eastern Oregon, you had better have water. Just camped where ever we decided we had driven enough for the day. When we were on the back 'roads', we never saw another vehicle for the whole 10 days.

Anyone else like KOA?

Why not stay in a hotel?

It's cheaper than a hotel, with a more rustic setting, a more communal atmosphere, more amenities that teenagers like, a more controlled environment, and it's more wholesome and family oriented. For us, we can stay in their Kabins and still bring the fishing boat along.

Well, I admit I've only seen a couple of KOA "rustic" campgrounds, and they charged something like $25-30/n, which is a little less expensive than a cheap motel with cable TV, air conditioning, hot shower, flush toilet, and WiFi $45/n.

Frankly, the $15 (min) premium is worth it to me.

But I don't put much premium on amenities for teens, controlled environments, or wholesome atmospheres. I like a place where I can smoke a stinkin' stogie, drink beer for breakfast, and engage in a knife fight over shady spots.

Otherwise, I always enjoyed state parks... but they had more pit than flush toilets usually. Hate those things.

Why?

Don't tell me you're one of these people that grow emotionally attached to your excrement and like to give it a more personal farewell.

We usually camp the State and Federal Parks. Most always near good fishing or hiking, alot of the park campgrounds offer both flushing toilets and shower houses. KOAs or other 'camping resorts' tend to be a bit too over crowded and noisy for me.

When my two children were small, I worked then, as I have pretty much my whole life, way too much overtime. I told my employers that I would work all the overtime that was needed, but I was taking three weeks off, paid or not, every summer with the kids.

We camped in a tent and used KOAs at every oppertunity. The kids loved the idea of swimming after a long days drive. By the time they were both grown, they had seen pretty much every National Park west of the Mississippi. And half the museums. We made time, every time we saw a museum sign, to stop and have a look.

Now that it is just the wife and I, we pretty much don't use regular campgrounds. Last good trip we took, 200 miles of two ruts with 18" sagebrush in between. For those that know Oregon, Fort Rock through the Lost Forest, then to the Steens, did the whole loop, and down through the Catlow Valley, south through Funnel Canyon, to the Nevada border, back north by the Alvord Dessert, East by Mickey Hot Springs to highway 95. To Crystal Crane hot spring campground, and the first shower in five days!

We have a seat in the stretch 350 Ford van that folds down into a reasonably comfortable bed. Packed 36 gals of water, something goes wrong in the high dessert of Eastern Oregon, you had better have water. Just camped where ever we decided we had driven enough for the day. When we were on the back 'roads', we never saw another vehicle for the whole 10 days.

Wow, how fun is that...

I'm in Fossil but I'm not terribly familiar with what's around here, aside from the Fossil Beds. I do know Steens.

Fort Rock looks tres cool.

Otherwise, I always enjoyed state parks... but they had more pit than flush toilets usually. Hate those things.

Why?

Don't tell me you're one of these people that grow emotionally attached to your excrement and like to give it a more personal farewell.
The smell, thats why I hate pit toilets and their generals state of uncleanliness. But if you have no choice, you have no choice.

I'd rather use a pit toilet that's used quickly by a few than a full blown bathroom that's used by hordes.

So you hold your breath and don't sit all the way down. No biggie, it's not like you need to hang out and enjoy the decor anyway.

I'd rather use a pit toilet that's used quickly by a few than a full blown bathroom that's used by hordes.

So you hold your breath and don't sit all the way down. No biggie, it's not like you need to hang out and enjoy the decor anyway.

I like a potty that has marble walls, and gold accents.....guy standing at the door offering an array of many scents you can squirt around before returning to your public.

But, if I'm CAMPING I'm happy to use something besides leaves to wipe

I like a potty that has marble walls, and gold accents.....guy standing at the door offering an array of many scents you can squirt around before returning to your public.

Leaves can leave you with chiggers. Best to keep a big wad of folded TP in a pocket or a whole roll in your pack.

corn+cob.jpg

corn+cob.jpg

Better than leaves.

Forum List

Back