Knee injury could end closer Rivera's season

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Knee injury could end closer Rivera's season

(Reuters) - New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, Major League Baseball's career saves leader, may be lost for the season after tests showed he had torn a knee ligament, manager Joe Girardi said on Thursday after their game in Kansas City.

Rivera, 42, hurt his knee while fielding fly balls during batting practice before the game against the Royals.

"You lose a Hall of Famer ... if that's what it is, that's as bad as it gets," a sombre Girardi told reporters after New York's 4-3 loss.

The Panamanian right-hander, who has registered a record 608 career saves, suffered the injury while running back in deep center field to chase down a ball hit by Jayson Nix.

It could also mean the end of Rivera's illustrious career. The closer said before the season he had made up his mind whether this campaign would be his last but was not going to reveal his decision until after the season.

Rivera's right knee buckled as he approached the warning track going after the fly ball and collapsed to the ground near the fence, clutching his knee in pain.

A few days old, but I was surprised there wasn't a thread about it yet.

The greatest closer ever, and he only had one pitch.

Also ranked as the 5th greatest Yankee of all time (I agree):

1. Babe Ruth
  2. Lou Gehrig
  3. Joe DiMaggio
  4. Mickey Mantle
  5. Mariano Rivera

As a Red Sox fan it's very natural to hate any Yankee.

But I don't hate Rivera, or Derek Jeter...I have a butt-load of respect for them actually.

I'm sure he'll be back next year in time to knock out 40 or so saves....as long as this blood clot issue clears up.

Forum List

Back