Kirby Puckett suffers massive stroke...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fuzzykitten99, Mar 6, 2006.

1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    This is so sad, no matter what has gone on in this guy's life. I didn't even know about this until this morning, KQ morning show hardly talked about anything else.

more at the link: http://www.startribune.com/509/story/287541.html

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

Being a life long Twin fan, I felt bad upon hearig this too. The guy really made the sport a fun game to watch. My son named every pet he had for a couple of years, Kirby.

3. EarlSwagger

EarlSwagger Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Back in the day, this guy could flat out hit and field. Loved to watch him play. They don't make 'em like Kirby anymore. Those tree stump legs and that big paunch.... didn't look like a baseball player.

4. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Kirby was like ...I dunno...can't think of a word for it..like a family member to all who lived in MN during his playing years. Maybe not so much a family member, but it's like, when you think of Twins, Kirby Puckett almost always comes to mind. MN was kind of defined by him.

They are saying the likelyhood of his surviviving this is very low. Even if he did, he would be a vegetable. Honestly, I think it would be best if they just let him pass peacefully. Why keep him alive if he won't be able to even recognize his own family, if he responds at all?

My step-mom's mom just passed away (natural causes) not that long ago. She had been in a nursing home for about 15 years because she had an anurism(sp?) that she survived, but her mentality was reduced to that of someone about a year old-literally. My step-mom always said that she would rather have had her mother pass away at that time, instead of being a vegetable that needed 24-hour nursing care and have to see her that way for the rest of her mom's life.

5. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    There was one woman, back during the 91 series, who had her baby in the last inning or something of the last game that Kirby was playing in, and she named her daughter Kirby. I'd have to dig to find the story, if it is on the net, because it was likely something only reported here. It was kind of a cute report one of the news stations did.

6. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
  7. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Sigh. RIP Kirby.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2357158

Another great one struck down too soon. Reggie White is the other great athlete and person that i can think of in recent memory that was taken too soon.

8. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    That's a shame. Puckett was one of the last few regular guys to play the game (at least it seems that way). He wasn't caught up in stats or money, he just went out and played hard every day. It was sad to see his career end the way it did, but to see his life end this early is heartbreaking.