Katrina - Hey Bush Bashers - More Facts You Refuse To Read

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GotZoom, Sep 12, 2005.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Sunday, September 11, 2005

It is settled wisdom among journalists that the federal response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina was unconscionably slow.

"Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever during a dire national emergency," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in a somewhat more strident expression of the conventional wisdom.

But the conventional wisdom is the opposite of the truth.

Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."

For instance, it took five days for National Guard troops to arrive in strength on the scene in Homestead, Fla. after Hurricane Andrew hit in 2002. But after Katrina, there was a significant National Guard presence in the afflicted region in three.

Journalists who are long on opinions and short on knowledge have no idea what is involved in moving hundreds of tons of relief supplies into an area the size of England in which power lines are down, telecommunications are out, no gasoline is available, bridges are damaged, roads and airports are covered with debris, and apparently have little interest in finding out.

So they libel as a "national disgrace" the most monumental and successful disaster relief operation in world history.

I write this column a week and a day after the main levee protecting New Orleans breached. In the course of that week:

More than 32,000 people have been rescued, many plucked from rooftops by Coast Guard helicopters.

The Army Corps of Engineers has all but repaired the breaches and begun pumping water out of New Orleans.

Shelter, food and medical care have been provided to more than 180,000 refugees.

Journalists complain that it took a whole week to do this. A former Air Force logistics officer had some words of advice for us in the Fourth Estate on his blog, Moltenthought:

"We do not yet have teleporter or replicator technology like you saw on 'Star Trek' in college between hookah hits and waiting to pick up your worthless communications degree while the grown-ups actually engaged in the recovery effort were studying engineering.

"The United States military can wipe out the Taliban and the Iraqi Republican Guard far more swiftly than they can bring 3 million Swanson dinners to an underwater city through an area the size of Great Britain which has no power, no working ports or airports, and a devastated and impassable road network.

"You cannot speed recovery and relief efforts up by prepositioning assets (in the affected areas) since the assets are endangered by the very storm which destroyed the region.

"No amount of yelling, crying and mustering of moral indignation will change any of the facts above."

"You cannot just snap your fingers and make the military appear somewhere," van Steenwyk said.

Guardsmen need to receive mobilization orders; report to their armories; draw equipment; receive orders and convoy to the disaster area. Guardsmen driving down from Pennsylvania or Navy ships sailing from Norfolk can't be on the scene immediately.

Relief efforts must be planned. Other than prepositioning supplies near the area likely to be afflicted (which was done quite efficiently), this cannot be done until the hurricane has struck and a damage assessment can be made. There must be a route reconnaissance to determine if roads are open, and bridges along the way can bear the weight of heavily laden trucks.

And federal troops and Guardsmen from other states cannot be sent to a disaster area until their presence has been requested by the governors of the afflicted states.

Exhibit A on the bill of indictment of federal sluggishness is that it took four days before most people were evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

The levee broke Tuesday morning. Buses had to be rounded up and driven from Houston to New Orleans across debris-strewn roads. The first ones arrived Wednesday evening. That seems pretty fast to me.

A better question -- which few journalists ask -- is why weren't the roughly 2,000 municipal and school buses in New Orleans utilized to take people out of the city before Katrina struck?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    A good article but way to full of truth and common sense--lines are drawn and reality makes absolutely no difference to those who hate Bush and republicans.

3. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001

zoom,
    You posted this one before I had a chance, great read. I think he did an incredible job of putting the whiners and their crap into perspective. It just goes to show how powerful the media still is at forming the uninformed public's opinions. There are still plenty of blacks crying racism and all the rest of the garbage they usually complain about as many get their 2000 dollar debit cards, free health care, free eye glasses, designer clothes seized by customs, a bunch get houses and apartments and some also get cars.With over 700,000 dollars collected so far from the public I would dare say that the use of the racism card is over, we are all very bored with that weakass excuse for irresponcible behavior. The fact is there is nobody alive that remembers slavery first hand and after trillions spent by mostly white America with very little results I have to ask. . . what does the black community want to shut the f up. How much will it cost to take that race card out of existance?
    That idiot Kanye(what kind of name is this) doesn't even understand that it is the white duffusses that actually waste their short time on earth listening to C-rap that has made his ignorant ass rich. In the real world that clown couldn't make a minimum wage at McDonalds.
    Why haven't we heard any whining from the people of Mississippi, could it be that they are too busy working to rebuild to bitch?

Sorry about the rant but I was stupid enough to tune into Pacifica radio and listened to an asshole last night. What little of his bull that I could actually understand was mostly about how whitey is once again trying to wipe out the black race. I tried to call but the lines were clogged with other blacks bitching and whining about not getting enough from whitey.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Great post, Zoomy. I like to read articles in defense of the feds on Katrina. The feds slow response is entirely understandable when you have to respect the law and bide your time while local incompetents try to decide what the do.

5. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366

One of the first images/videos I saw was when they stuck a microphone and camera in front of an African-American woman standing in front of the Superdome.

She said, "Who is going to rebuild my home?" "I want them to build me a new home."

Them = taxpayers = you and I.

How about some personal responsibility.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Agreed---America has raised it citizens poorly when welfare and lawsuits is actually how people expect to "make a living".

7. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Personal responsibility? Two words not understood by the majority in New Orleans. Not part of the local lingo.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Did y'all hear about the lady in NY who used her FEMA $2000 debit card to pay for an $800 Louis-Vatton Purse?

9. sitarro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    -=d=-,
    Why doesn't that surprise me?

10. sitarro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    Was that the woman that was sporting the gold teeth?