Justin Fields: Another QB Bust for the Bears?

Devils_Advocate

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2020
From the Depths of Hell
Been following the Bears and wonder is Justin Fields another bust for the Bears in their search for a starting QB?

One thing I have never understood about the Bears organization is their desire to draft a QB in the first round when they have a miserable time developing that position?

So what is your opinion of Fields and is he the next Mitch T. or Rex G. bust for the Bears and let not mention Cade M.!

He looked okay in the previous game and wasn't terrible today. Dallas just smoked their asses, lol.

I think the problem in Chicago is management and coaching. Fields was a 50/50 guy coming out of OSU in my book. With the right organization and development, I think he could have been a pretty effective QB. But with the Bears, not so much.

He looked okay in the previous game and wasn't terrible today. Dallas just smoked their asses, lol.

I think the problem in Chicago is management and coaching. Fields was a 50/50 guy coming out of OSU in my book. With the right organization and development, I think he could have been a pretty effective QB. But with the Bears, not so much.
Yeah, the team need to be sold and have new ownership install better management that can develop players better.

Maybe the best thing the Bears can do is trade him to a team that can fix what is wrong and he could be a good backup choice.

OSU QB's don't much pan out in the NFL

Troy Smith
JT Barrett
Cardell Jones
Braxton Miller
Dwayne Haskins
Terelle Pryor
The Bears last two draft picks that were QB in the first round seem like they poor decisions.

Mitch T. was a bust and Fields look like a decent backup option but not a Starting QB.

The former GM seemed to overreach and wasted draft picks .

He was OK. Don't think he ever had more than 15 TD passes in a season. He had an injury plagued career and much of it was spent in a backup role.

McMahon was a great leader of men! It's just too bad the O-line couldn't keep him upright for long! Even their SB season of '85, Fuller and Tomczak had to win quite a few games while Jim was on the shelf! They wound up being 15-1 dropping the one game I predicted against Miami and Marino's Dolphins! They annihilated the playoff victims of The Giants and Rams! Watching the Bear Defense beat up the opposition was as entertaining as watching the Offense! There was negative yardage in the 1st Half against NE in New Orleans! They had the audacity to create a video during the SB run; "The SB Shuffle!" Wow; no team as dominant since; even those Baltimore Defensive teams! :heehee: :sigh2:🥱:stir::dunno::dev3:

McMahon was a great leader of men! It's just too bad the O-line couldn't keep him upright for long! Even their SB season of '85, Fuller and Tomczak had to win quite a few games while Jim was on the shelf! They wound up being 15-1 dropping the one game I predicted against Miami and Marino's Dolphins! They annihilated the playoff victims of The Giants and Rams! Watching the Bear Defense beat up the opposition was as entertaining as watching the Offense! There was negative yardage in the 1st Half against NE in New Orleans! They had the audacity to create a video during the SB run; "The SB Shuffle!" Wow; no team as dominant since; even those Baltimore Defensive teams! :heehee: :sigh2:🥱:stir::dunno::dev3:
Yeah, that '85 Bears defense was just incredible. I haven't seen any defense compare, and that includes the Steeler's Steel Curtain, Vikings Purple People Eaters, Cowboys Doomsday, LT's Giants, 2000 Ravens, or the 2002 Buccaneers. They just flat out dominated their opponents. They were the strength of that Bears team. McMahon was OK, and they had Walter Payton and Willie Gault. McMahon might have been a great QB if he could have just stayed healthy.

He was OK. Don't think he ever had more than 15 TD passes in a season. He had an injury plagued career and much of it was spent in a backup role.

Injuries are what hurt McMahon more than anything. He didn't need to throw for TDs because the Bears had a ground game and a defense for the ages. Still not sure he has a Super Bowl ring if the Dolphins, and not the Patriots, end up going to the Super Bowl in 1985/6.

Would have been interesting to see if Buddy Ryan would have actually played some zone. I don't think he even had a game plan for that - at least not with the mid-1980s Bears, and his style didn't really ever change much. His philosophy was bring the speed, bring the muscle, bring the pressure to wherever the ball is - and to do that, he tried to make sure he had the athletes to do that.

Marino and Shula figured that thing out though. There's no reason to believe they couldn't have done it again. But the game wouldn't have been a blowout this time, because McMahon, not fuller, would have been slinging it for the Bears. And maybe he's the difference maker in that imaginary rematch.

Yeah, that '85 Bears defense was just incredible. I haven't seen any defense compare, and that includes the Steeler's Steel Curtain, Vikings Purple People Eaters, Cowboys Doomsday, LT's Giants, 2000 Ravens, or the 2002 Buccaneers. They just flat out dominated their opponents. They were the strength of that Bears team. McMahon was OK, and they had Walter Payton and Willie Gault. McMahon might have been a great QB if he could have just stayed healthy.

They dominated because they had an entire roster of amazing, athletic, and intelligent players. No weaknesses in terms of individual ability to play the position, and most teams in the league were vulnerable against their scheme because they just didn't have the talent to stop them.

The Dolphins, however, masterfully exploited the one weakness the Bears had, which was a highly accurate passer who could release the ball to receivers with speed, and the Dolphins receivers weren't tall and rangy like many of the wideouts of their day (Rice, Gault, Monk, etc). These guys were small and fast - like Tyreke Hill, Justin Jefferson, and Jamarr Chase. Marino made the Bears pay for loading the box and he made them pay more for blitzing.

That game was not a fluke. The Bears didn't lose because they were tired, although they might have won the game with McMahon as starter. The Bears lost because the Dolphins were able to exploit a weakness no other team had the personnel to exploit except for the 49ers and for whatever reason, the 49ers of 1985 were nothing like they were a year earlier.

It would appear that this thread is not aging well. He spanked the Falcons in Foxboro, and now set the single game rushing record for a QB with 178 yards. His career thus far has been a terrible offensive line, weak running game and no good wide receivers. And he is improving as are those other areas, at least at WR.

It would appear that this thread is not aging well. He spanked the Falcons in Foxboro, and now set the single game rushing record for a QB with 178 yards. His career thus far has been a terrible offensive line, weak running game and no good wide receivers. And he is improving as are those other areas, at least at WR.
Yeah, Fields has been playing well lately and the Bears are finally playing towards his strengths. Believe they traded for a WR Chase Claypool a week ago and that should help. Looks like the Bears got jobbed in the Dolphins game with bogus PI call in 4th quarter.

Forum List

Back