Just got back

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Just got back from one of those evil Gun and Knife Shows here in NC. Bought an M1 Carbine Magazine, a sling for my M1 Carbine and 6 loaded clips of 8 rounds each for my M1 Garand. Ohh also a 2 magazine pouch for the M1 Carbine. Spent about 100 bucks. Including the 7 to go to the show.

Tempted to go back and buy the AR-15 that was on sale for 585. But I suspect at that price it is a poorly made weapon.

The carbine is for close work 200 yards or closer, the Garand can fire out to 1200. Was looking at an AR for middle work. 400 to 500 yards. The Garand can do that but the AR would have 30 round mags instead of 8 round clips.

I have about 1200 bucks if I bought the AR I could get a few mags, a sling and some ammo. I would eventually want at least a thousand rounds in stock have 1200 for the Carbine and about 700 for the Garand ( 30.06 is expensive ammo).

Just got back from one of those evil Gun and Knife Shows here in NC. Bought an M1 Carbine Magazine, a sling for my M1 Carbine and 6 loaded clips of 8 rounds each for my M1 Garand. Ohh also a 2 magazine pouch for the M1 Carbine. Spent about 100 bucks. Including the 7 to go to the show.

Tempted to go back and buy the AR-15 that was on sale for 585. But I suspect at that price it is a poorly made weapon.

The carbine is for close work 200 yards or closer, the Garand can fire out to 1200. Was looking at an AR for middle work. 400 to 500 yards. The Garand can do that but the AR would have 30 round mags instead of 8 round clips.

I have about 1200 bucks if I bought the AR I could get a few mags, a sling and some ammo. I would eventually want at least a thousand rounds in stock have 1200 for the Carbine and about 700 for the Garand ( 30.06 is expensive ammo).

I have a Universal brand Carbine that I bought in the 70s. I reloaded for it too. But I also used a 130gr lead bullet that eventually plugged up the gas port so it began to malfunction. No big deal though. You tear it apart and clean out the port. Then I switched to jacketed 110gr.

I have 5 15rd mags and 1 30rd mag. The 15rd are more reliable. I only load about 12rds though to keep the spring in good shape.

I had a scope on it too, but the ejected shells would get banged up on the scope mount as it was directly overhead.

My WW2 uncle has an original US Army Carbine. It has more wood to it and a bayonet mount.

I still have the Universal but I removed the scope and replaced it with the standard aperature sight. I thought I might used it close up.

I wish I had a M1 Garand. I have a Winchester 30-06 Model 70 with scope and I handloaded some 150gr and 180gr Hornady Spire points.

One trick I learned was to seat the bullet so it just touches the rifling. Bulls eye everytime.

I have 25 clips loaded for the Garand and I have 4 30 round, 4 15 round, 2 10 round and a 5 round magazine for the Carbine. I don't load the magazines I keep a 10 round and a 30 round with about 50 rounds in a draw on my computer desk.

Was considering buying an ammo can with 480 preloaded Garand clips ( WW2 issue) for 380 didn't do it today. Might tomorrow. Or I could buy an AR-15 for 585, problem is it has no rear sight and I am betting that the sight device and clips to mount it would cost about 200 or so.

Saw a tricked out AR with flash light scope and laser for 975. Heavy model with bipod mounted. But if I bought that I would have no money for magazines and ammo. No point in buying a weapon if you can't buy the ammo.

And besides the laser and light are for close work and with that bipod and scope you wont be doing close work with it.

Never seen a 10rd for a Carbine and the Universal came with a 5rd plastic magazine which I never used.

I was watching "The Bridge at Remagen" and at least one soldier was carrying a carbine with a 30rd mag. I thought those came out after WW2 and just in time for the Korean War. But I'm not sure.

Are you sure you would want 30/06 ammo that is 65 years old?

Never seen a 10rd for a Carbine and the Universal came with a 5rd plastic magazine which I never used.

I was watching "The Bridge at Remagen" and at least one soldier was carrying a carbine with a 30rd mag. I thought those came out after WW2 and just in time for the Korean War. But I'm not sure.

It is in very good condition. Still factory packed. Most of my ammo is from a 600 round 30 caliber machine gun linked box. Pretty sure it was from the 50's.

It is in very good condition. Still factory packed. Most of my ammo is from a 600 round 30 caliber machine gun linked box. Pretty sure it was from the 50's.

I once read that 9mm ammo for submachine guns was not to be used in handguns. I don't think that would apply to M-1s though.

30 round mags were brought out for the Korean War for use with the M2 carbine (which is full auto) you are correct, WWII mags were 15 rounds capacity.

I once read that 9mm ammo for submachine guns was not to be used in handguns. I don't think that would apply to M-1s though.

SMG ammo runs about 30% higher pressure then handgun ammo. It should never be used in handguns. Likewise for 60+ year old ammunition. Two reasons for that, first it is almost universally corrosive and yes you can clean the salts from the weapon but it must be done immediately and second the pressures are unknown. Ammo stored for long periods has gone through who knows how many cycles of warm and cold, all of which break own the powder and cause increases in pressure. Sometimes with catastrophic results.

I'm surprised you can purchase guns with your history of depression. :confused:

To lose ones right to own weapons one must be convicted of a certain type of crimes or a felony. Or have been involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility by a Competent Authority ( Ie a Judge).

Neither of those apply to me. I do doubt that the local Sheriff would readily approve me purchasing a Handgun, which requires a permit. He eventually would have to but it is not worth the hassle to find out.

Rifles and shotguns do not require permits. all you do is sign the appropriate federal questionnaire.

The rifles I own were purchased a while ago after my originals were stolen. My daughter lost my 9 mm pistol recently.

I have no history of violence or violent thoughts. Even my shrinks have no grounds for trying to prevent me legally from buying weapons.

My delusions have nothing to do with attacking people. I believe that society will collapse and my weapons will be needed for protection of self and others.

30 round mags were brought out for the Korean War for use with the M2 carbine (which is full auto) you are correct, WWII mags were 15 rounds capacity.

It's nice to find movie goof ups like that. Like the final scenes of Saving Private Ryan where they are "out of ammo" and using mortar shells. Captain Miller has at least 3 hand grenades on his belt! OOPS!

SMG ammo runs about 30% higher pressure then handgun ammo. It should never be used in handguns. Likewise for 60+ year old ammunition. Two reasons for that, first it is almost universally corrosive and yes you can clean the salts from the weapon but it must be done immediately and second the pressures are unknown. Ammo stored for long periods has gone through who knows how many cycles of warm and cold, all of which break own the powder and cause increases in pressure. Sometimes with catastrophic results.

My only experience with surplus ammo was back in the 70s, a friend of mine bought a used .45 auto. We were at a gun range that had surplus .45 ammo from Argentina. Worked OK.

Imagine. We supply Argentina with guns and ammo that they will never use against the Nazis in WW2, then get it back in the form of surplus.

I'm saving up for one of these

3255044616_b2b20a6279.jpg

Stickly for home defence, of course.

Forum List

Back