Just For Fun.....Post-Up Your Recent Pawn Shop, Flea Market, etc. Finds

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Since I retired I've been cruising the local pawn and gun shops and the Flea Markets on the weekends looking for deals. Sometimes my finds are nice but sometimes they need some TLC to get them up to snuff.....I tend to gravitate more toward vintage .mil surplus, knives, and firearms.

Yard Sale/Flea Markets finds of all types are welcome too......Even on-line finds like on marketplace for sale sites.

Come-on, let's see what you've found and keep it going, heck, I don't care if it's livestock as long as you got yourself a good deal!

I'll start it off with today's find.

I found a decent condition factory nickeled 1920 Smith & Wesson M&P Hand Ejector (4th change) .38 Special revolver this morning at a small LGS in my AO.....$275.00 OTD.....The finish is worn but it's very sound mechanically and times correctly.

m 001 (2).JPG

For some reason a previous owner had S&W research it and other than confirming what it was and it was factory nickeled about the only other thing was that it was shipped from the factory in Sept. of 1920 to the Wade Hardware Company in Mississippi.

Since I retired I've been cruising the local pawn and gun shops and the Flea Markets on the weekends looking for deals. Sometimes my finds are nice but sometimes they need some TLC to get them up to snuff.....I tend to gravitate more toward vintage .mil surplus, knives, and firearms.

Yard Sale/Flea Markets finds of all types are welcome too......Even on-line finds like on marketplace for sale sites.

Come-on, let's see what you've found and keep it going, heck, I don't care if it's livestock as long as you got yourself a good deal!

I'll start it off with today's find.

I found a decent condition factory nickeled 1920 Smith & Wesson M&P Hand Ejector (4th change) .38 Special revolver this morning at a small LGS in my AO.....$275.00 OTD.....The finish is worn but it's very sound mechanically and times correctly.

View attachment 570551

For some reason a previous owner had S&W research it and other than confirming what it was and it was factory nickeled about the only other thing was that it was shipped from the factory in Sept. of 1920 to the Wade Hardware Company in Mississippi.
Very nice find!!

4k6ky2.jpg

Probably one of my better scores this year. These are U.S. WWII Veteran Bring-backs. He took these when he fought in Germany during WWII. From top to bottom, Heer (army) officers breast tunic eagle, Panzer officers eagle, and Kreigsmarine cap eagle.

View attachment 570558

Probably one of my better scores this year. These are U.S. WWII Veteran Bring-backs. He took these when he fought in Germany during WWII. From top to bottom, Heer (army) officers breast tunic eagle, Panzer officers eagle, and Kreigsmarine cap eagle.
I found a very nice matching byf-43 P.38 and it matched holster holster this past October. Even the mags were correct. I gave $900.00 for it thinking that well it seems high now but would be worth more later......Heck that particular year/serial block are bringing 2K or better.....Something about the "dusty blue" finish they used.

38_002__2__JPG-2140435.JPG

I found a very nice matching byf-43 P.38 and it matched holster holster this past October. Even the mags were correct. I gave $900.00 for it thinking that well it seems high now but would be worth more later......Heck that particular year/serial block are bringing 2K or better.....Something about the "dusty blue" finish they used.

38_002__2__JPG-2140435.JPG

I may "know" someone who has one as well. :) That's a beautiful set right there!

Some other antique shop finds from this year.

20210622_200458_HDR_3.jpg
4jfmsn.jpg

The pipe bowl came from colonial Richmond, the half bullet came from a reserve area at Gettysburg PA, the gray bullet came from Virginia, the bullet to the right of the gray one came from Cashtown PA. The artillery shell fragment came from the Mummasburg Road, Gettysburg, and the bottom row came from Huntington West Virginia. Except the buckle, that's a repro.

Some other antique shop finds from this year.

View attachment 570608View attachment 570610

The pipe bowl came from colonial Richmond, the half bullet came from a reserve area at Gettysburg PA, the gray bullet came from Virginia, the bullet to the right of the gray one came from Cashtown PA. The artillery shell fragment came from the Mummasburg Road, Gettysburg, and the bottom row came from Huntington West Virginia. Except the buckle, that's a repro.
LOL....I found this dropped .58 Williams Cleaner in my yard. There was a small battle (Battle of Wapping Heights/Manassas Gap RR) that passed through my property when the Yankees tried cutting off Lee's withdraw from Gettysburg.

The First Battle of Wapping Heights

v 002 (2).JPG

View attachment 570618

I found these two relics in my yard in Kentucky as well. Dropped by a member of the 117th Ohio Vol. Infantry.
The one on the right is the fennel off the bottom a bayonet scabbard.....It would have been soldered up and into the bottom brass section as so:
OIP.iMB84sxce1h9QVqI-lplfAHaE0

They must have been fairly delicate as I've dug quite a few of the fennels and scabbard bottoms without them..

The one on the right is the fennel off the bottom a bayonet scabbard.....It would have been soldered up and into the bottom brass section as so:
OIP.iMB84sxce1h9QVqI-lplfAHaE0

They must have been fairly delicate as I've dug quite a few of the fennels and scabbard bottoms without them..

I had detected my yard for weeks, and found a toasted wheat penny. I found the scabbard tip and bullet right by the front porch. 'could knocked me over with a feather.

What was the best thing you've ever found detecting?

I had detected my yard for weeks, and found a toasted wheat penny. I found the scabbard tip and bullet right by the front porch. 'could knocked me over with a feather.

What was the best thing you've ever found detecting?
A CS tongue and wreath belt buckle.....In fact I found it on my first trip out to a area in my AO that was a camp off and on through the war by both sides. Sadly a Walmart sits upon the site now.

cs 001 (2).JPG

A CS tongue and wreath belt buckle.....In fact I found it on my first trip out to a area in my AO that was a camp off and on through the war by both sides. Sadly a Walmart sits upon the site now.

View attachment 570659

Incredible!

I can't make up my mind between these two finds.

NSTCW22szg.jpg

This is one of the rarest confederate buttons varieties out there. It's a flat button with the letters "CS" in the shield. I found this on the second day ever of me metal detecting. :) William Leigh, a well known button collector, held it and told me it was a 10/10 for rarity. I was only 15 when I found it. :D

DSC_0332.jpg

This is a Springfield musket that I found at my 4th Great Uncles house in Pennsylvania. He was a private in the 50th PA. Vol. Infantry. He fought in all major battles the regiment took part in during 1864 and 1865, even after he was wounded in the face at Petersburg.

Well pickings were pretty slim at the flea market this morning.....All I found was a Deluxe 10-22 (hardwood) stock for $25.00.

It worked out well because I built a 10-22 for my G-Grandson on a youth stock a couple months back so now when he grows out of that one it can be put right over into the adult-sized stock.

s 001 (3).JPG

I'm always on the prowl in pawn shops and thrift shops.

This is a Kodak Junior Six-20 that I picked up about a year ago. I wish the box was in better condition, but the fact that the box was there at all is a good thing. The camera is fully functional and the bellows is intact with no breaks. I paid $15.00 for this:

22344213304_279896138d_o.jpg

This is a an Iloca Stereo II camera from the 1950's. The best way to view photos taken with this camera is with a quality stereo viewer. They sometimes pop up in antique and thrift stores. If you don't have one of those, you use the "cross-eyed" method to view them. It might take a few seconds for your vision to "lock" onto the 3-D image but, when it does, you can't not see it. Here is a gallery of photos taken with this camera (not mine, but same model) that you can use the cross-eyed method with (not mine, but same model): CROSS-EYED METHOD.

The one shown below is mine, and it's in really nice shape and fully functional. I paid $12 for it:

22548589547_5510c26aff_o.jpg

I'm always on the prowl in pawn shops and thrift shops.

This is a Kodak Junior Six-20 that I picked up about a year ago. I wish the box was in better condition, but the fact that the box was there at all is a good thing. The camera is fully functional and the bellows is intact with no breaks. I paid $15.00 for this:

View attachment 572497

This is a an Iloca Stereo II camera from the 1950's. The best way to view photos taken with this camera is with a quality stereo viewer. They sometimes pop up in antique and thrift stores. If you don't have one of those, you use the "cross-eyed" method to view them. It might take a few seconds for your vision to "lock" onto the 3-D image but, when it does, you can't not see it. Here is a gallery of photos taken with this camera (not mine, but same model) that you can use the cross-eyed method with (not mine, but same model): CROSS-EYED METHOD.

The one shown below is mine, and it's in really nice shape and fully functional. I paid $12 for it:

View attachment 572501
Unless it's a older Leica I don't mess with cameras much. I found a Standard once and the case was painted Africa Corps mustard yellow and the camera dated to 1940.

Unless it's a older Leica I don't mess with cameras much. I found a Standard once and the case was painted Africa Corps mustard yellow and the camera dated to 1940.

I've got a collection of vintage cameras; maybe 30 or so just taking up shelf space in the office. Some work and some do not. What's cool is I'll run a roll of film through one of the ones that work and then send the film to my daughter who develops it in her kitchen. She then scans the negatives, inverts them and then sends both versions back to me. Some of these old camera actually take some pretty cool pictures...

Last edited:
I found a 1930 Colt Officer's model Target .22 revolver today at a local pawn shop.

It's in very nice shape, easily 90%. It came with a Colt Archive letter that said it shipped 4/30/1930 to the Dunham, Carrigan, and Hayden Company, in San Francisco, CA.

Dunham, Carrigan, and Hayden Co. was a large hardware company in the bay area.

c 003 (2).JPG

Well pickings were pretty slim at the flea market this morning.....All I found was a Deluxe 10-22 (hardwood) stock for $25.00.

It worked out well because I built a 10-22 for my G-Grandson on a youth stock a couple months back so now when he grows out of that one it can be put right over into the adult-sized stock.

View attachment 571696
Here's my "deluxe" Yjey sure are pretty. Have the standard barrel and a Tac Innovation 1:9 twist barrel to stabilize those 60 gr "aguila sniper rounds" Bottom is a Howa 223, it's changed some now. nice Boyds engraved stock. Leopold MK-AR scope. Varmints hate it.
fh0GnZ8.jpg

Forum List

Back