Jon Stewart sticks it to Begala and Carlson

nakedemperor

Aug 5, 2004
NYC
In a recent appearance on Crossfire, Jon Stewart articulated what has really angered me so much about Carville, Begala, Novack and Carlson for so long-- they profess to be a 'debate show' that shows two sides of every argument. My problem has always been, how is a liberal-spun argument followed by a conservative-spun argument fair to the public at large? "Bush went AWOL" countered by "Kerry didn't deserve his medals" doesn't constitute intelligent political discourse. They all spin as hard as they can either red or blue and somehow its 'fair' and 'newsworthy' simply because an antithetical but similarly distorted view of a topic is presented immediately thereafter. Anyway this is really hilarious, watch the video:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200410160003

Jon Stewart ---> :chains: <----- Paul Begala

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Ya know, someone else brought that transcript to my attention, I got about 12 lines in, bells and whistles were going off, and I found I didn't much care to go on. It was innane, incromprehensible, idiotic, and several other i's. I don't suppose you could distill the transcript to only the juicy morsels you liked best?

Zhukov said:
Ya know, someone else brought that transcript to my attention, I got about 12 lines in, bells and whistles were going off, and I found I didn't much care to go on. It was innane, incromprehensible, idiotic, and several other i's. I don't suppose you could distill the transcript to only the juicy morsels you liked best?

Transcripts for unscripted debate shows like Crossfire are useless to read-- I linked to the video feed. Plus the transcript wouldn't do justice to Stewart's timing or delivery. It's only about 8 minutes long, I really think its worth watching.

So Tucker is the one with the bow tie?

He should have seen his problem as soon as Stewart explained to him puppets making prank phone calls was just before his show.

Imagine trying to have the 'anchor' from the Daily Show in to complain about his questioning.

Must have been a slow news day, and I doubt they'll ever have him on again.

-=d=- said:
very very very good.

Jon Stewart...nicely done.

Big fan of Stewart. Rare folks like us who have at least an intense interest in politcs in common need a comedic release valve like him.

Crossfire's alright. Big fan of Tucker Carlson (yes same person) and James Carville (when he is on). Begala and Novak are dry representations of their respective parties.

Anyone watch Tucker's show on PBS?

NATO AIR said:
yea jon stewart totally pwned carlson... better exchange than any of the prez/vp debates

My mother sent me Stewart's book on tape. Anyone purchased it? I admit a little embarrasement at owning a book on tape buy my mother insisted the voice of Stewart is critical to enjoying the book in full.

I randomly flipped on to this the other day. What a spanking. :whip: Now if he could just do that to Chris Matthews and Sean Hannity I'd be happy. (ducks for cover:D)

I feel this way about most of the news media, I get the feeling they think the public can't handle complex issues, so they feed us fluff.
There is a big difference on the slant of the news coverage for the domestic CNN and CNN international. It almost like it is tailored to suit the targeted audience.

If you want to get real news or what some might call “intelligence reports”, the best source is the Christian Science Monitor. Don’t let the name of the publication fool you it is the best source for nongovernmental Intel, in fact some Intel squirrels use it as their source :usa:

White knight said:
I feel this way about most of the news media, I get the feeling they think the public can't handle complex issues, so they feed us fluff.
There is a big difference on the slant of the news coverage for the domestic CNN and CNN international. It almost like it is tailored to suit the targeted audience.

If you want to get real news or what some might call “intelligence reports”, the best source is the Christian Science Monitor. Don’t let the name of the publication fool you it is the best source for nongovernmental Intel, in fact some Intel squirrels use it as their source :usa:

I feel the media is a business and thus must sell its product to the most people. The "most" people in this country are not as interested in politics as the people on things such as this board.

If all Americans were interested as we are the media could not get away with one liners.

Forum List

Back