John Edwards 'not guilty' on one count; mistrial declared on remaining charges

I feel the same way about this that I feel about the attempts to try to convict Rush Limbaugh of drug charges.

This was a prosecutor trying to nail a celebrity scalp to his wall, over something that wasn't that big of a deal.

I think Edwards got a raw deal. The media put pressure on because of the sensational adultery scandal but it's nothing that any other democrat didn't engage in.

SO the money he got in calendar yer 2008 in excess of $25,000.00 from donor C (see, Count 3 at Edwards not guilty on 1 count, mistrial on others - WTOP.com ) was found not to be campaign contributions. It appears the jury concluded that money to aid a guy hide a paramour's pregnancy is not the same thing as money to aid a guy run for office -- even when he is running for office and covering up his sewer rat immorality could be premised on a political consideration.

I don't think the jury was wrong.

But it does make me wonder what else in that stupid indictment the jury struggled with.

They didn't get it wrong.

The underlying basis for the case was weak..and given the current state of campaign fund raising..laughable.

It was a "charge" in search of a crime.

Nothing criminal, but he is still a slug.

SO the money he got in calendar yer 2008 in excess of $25,000.00 from donor C (see, Count 3 at Edwards not guilty on 1 count, mistrial on others - WTOP.com ) was found not to be campaign contributions. It appears the jury concluded that money to aid a guy hide a paramour's pregnancy is not the same thing as money to aid a guy run for office -- even when he is running for office and covering up his sewer rat immorality could be premised on a political consideration.

But it does make me wonder what else in that stupid indictment the jury struggled with.

The other charges on which they deadlocked. I think the jury was correct on the count found NG. The rest, I simply don't know.

JE's speech afterwards to the public and the press was gracious, took responsibility for his admitted "sins", and gave thanks for his family's support.

My gut reaction is that the DA will let this rest.

The other charges on which they deadlocked. I think the jury was correct on the count found NG. The rest, I simply don't know.

JE's speech afterwards to the public and the press was gracious, took responsibility for his admitted "sins", and gave thanks for his family's support.

My gut reaction is that the DA will let this rest.

I happen to believe that the prosecutors will likely drop it now unless stupid pride obscures their judgment.

Forum List

Back